Where You Want to Be Review

artist: taking back sunday date: 06/21/2007 category: compact discs
Released: Jul 27, 2004
Genre: Rock
With this album, Taking Back Sunday really does outdo themselves. Not just simple power chords played over and over, but it really does have interesting progressions played.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 9.4
 8.6
Where You Want to Be Reviewed by: superninja515, on june 21, 2007

Sound: Taking Back Sunday has a powerful, individual sound. Where You Want To Be is better musically than their previous album, Tell All Your Friends. The guitar parts are complex yet still catchy. The bass is powerful, as it usually is with TBS. The drumming is great and always seems to fit with the music. I like the other effects in the music (ex: strings, percussion), they give me chills. I am impressed with how Taking Back Sunday can create songs that make you want to dance (The Union, Set Phasers To Stun) and an incredible acoustic song such as New American Classic. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are amazing. Even better than they were on Tell All Your Friends. In my opinion, Fred is a much better songwriter and vocalist than John Nolan was. As far as lyrics go, they are pretty deep and dark. They don't just come right out and say the meaning, as many of the Tell All Your Friends songs did. Three years ago the album was released and I still can't figure out some of the meanings. Vocally, Adam Lazzara and Fred Mascherino's different singing styles work together surprisingly well. A lot of the time it is very hard to understand what Adam is singing. On the other hand, Fred's voice is very clear. Both of them have a wide variety of things they can sing. They can sing softly and sweetly, as New American Classic proves, and rough and edgy, like they do in The Union. The harmonies are amazing, as well. // 10

Overall Impression: Where You Want To Be and the overall progression can somewhat compare to the progression of Brand New. Both bands' first albums were great, don't get me wrong, just very pop-punk. As they moved onto their second album (Taking Back Sunday's Where You Want To Be and Brand New's Deja Entendu), the lyrics became deeper, the songs more meaningful. And with the somewhat recent release of the bands' third albums, I find myself blown away. In my opinion, the most impressive songs are New American Classic, One Eighty By Summer, and Little Devotional. I love how this album proves that a band can be talented both instrumentally and lyrically. There's really nothing I hate about it. I DO miss John Nolan, but the band is better off without him. If I lost this album, I'd freak out and then go buy another copy. // 10

Where You Want to Be Reviewed by: Shlecht, on august 14, 2006

Sound: An album with catchy, original guitar riffs and inspiring lyrics. I'm amazed with the sound of this. It's definitely different from "Tell All Your Friends", with the guitars sounding even more loud and powerful. Of course it has the token slower, sort of depressing song (New American Classic, which I find to be an amazing song), and the rest of the tracks being energetic that'll make you want to jump around and scream (Set Phasers To Stun). I'm very impressed with the sound overall. I love the guitar sounds, and the drums are phenominal, like usual. // 9

Lyrics: Adam and Fred, ahh. Amazing vocalists. Fred's screaming and Adam's more higher voice make my spine tingle (especially in One-Eighty By Summer [defenseless, dependent]). They write from a range of things, mostly deep and personal (which I prefer. Fans should be able to connect to the music, correct). They never once failed to disappoint me. // 10

Overall Impression: If you're searching for a masterpiece, go to the local music store and purchase this album. It's phenominal. Literally every single song is good, except there are 2 I didn't like as much, Number 5 With A Bullet and Slowdance On The Inside. The songs that I loved the most and that I even could put down in my book as my favorite songs would be "Set Phasers To Stun", "One-Eighty By Summer", and "A Decade Under The Influence". Some songs I've noticed will have some boring verses (The Union, I Am Fred Astaire) but the choruses will completely make up for them and will make the songs worth the listen. This album is essential for any rock fan, especially ones that are looking for music to connect to. Where You Want To Be is what got me into TBS. It's a very deep and inspiring album, one that could make a difference in one's life like it did for me. Though I find it a masterpiece for the most part, I give it a 9 due to the seldom boring verses and the 2 tracks that I wasn't very much into. Put this album on your shelves. Hell, put it on your wall. // 9

Where You Want to Be Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 28, 2004

Sound: Taking Back Sunday ever since their release of "Tell All Your Friends", there seems to be an endlessly multiplying number of bands trying to imitate that sound and (hopefully) adding their own twist to it but Taking Back Sunday needs no twists. With this album, Taking Back Sunday really does outdo themselves. Not just simple power chords played over and over, (well not always) but it really does have interesting progressions played, especially since there's two guitarists, not one. I was listening to the album in one speakerphone and it doesn't give half the same impact as you do when you listen to it in both ears. The audio layers are recorded very well, and the two guitars, the drums, and the bass overlap each other very well. The riffs are A+ material. And wow, the vocals just blow you away. Adam is very talented as a vocalist and gets his voice to very high notes, and then can hold them for a long time. And to make the album sound even more amazing, Fred Mascherino, the new guitarist, (formerly of Breaking Pangaea) adds his own vocals to the mix, including agonizing screams to add that razor edge to each time Adam pours out his heart. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics wow. Probably the strongest aspect of the album. Adam Lazzara, you can't doubt the man's power in writing songs. After Taking Back Sunday's "Tell All Your Friends", I really was nervous that the lyrics in "Where You Want to Be" would never amount to the first album. And well, look now! I have been proven ever so wrong! The album starts out with "Set Phasers to Stun", a song TBS has played live only a handful of times, and it sounds awesome on the album. Adam screams, "I'm sorry it took me so long!" and it just seems as if hes shouting an apology to the fans, for not releasing an album 2 years after the first was recorded. They sing about love, friends' betrayal, heart break, and well, things you'd expect your typical emo band to sing about. And friends' betrayal what a topic to sing about. "A Decade Under the Influence" screams about John & Shaun leaving Taking Back Sunday in 2003, and all of their friends, including Brand New's Jesse Lacey, taking their side. He even borrows lyrics from their own bands, and rearranges them as an extra shove to their faces. (Brand New's "We Used to Be this dying breed, and Straylightrun's "Something sad and delicate"). And to give that final "screw you", "To hell with you and all your friends." On "the Union", Adam seems to sing about his own popularity, sort of giving himself that rockstar persona. "I never started a scene, they came to me." Or maybe he's not singing about his scene status? Maybe it means something else in its entirety? Its up the listener to decide, giving him the choice of what the lyrics mean to him or herself. // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to 2002's "Tell All Your Friends", Taking Back Sunday has proven that they are no one-hit-wonder-album-making band. And even with a new guitarist/extra vocalist and bassist to back them up, no talent has been lost. Theres alot of promise for these guys in the future and I can't wait to see them live this summer on Warped Tour. I still haven't bought the real copy of this cd, considering it's not out yet but once it's released I'll be there, waiting in line to purchase a real copy of it. This cd is worth it ladies and gentlemen. I listened to it over twenty times the first day I recieved it and I won't be sick of it for a while. I skip no tracks, not even the slow-paced accoustic, "The New American Classic". Everything moves in perfect unison, and the cd packs punch after punch, in perfect order. This is a cd not to miss this summer, especially if you liked "Tell All Your Friends." // 10

Where You Want to Be Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 11, 2004

Sound: The overall sound of this record is good I guess, although some of their vocals are repeated throughout the song. But smashing guitar riffs at the end of songs like "Set Phasers to Stun" gain back the post hardcore sound they gained from "Tell All Your Friends". I personally am surpised the band could come out of a line-up change from losing Singer (genious) songwriter John Nolan and come up with a product of this quality. So the sound is great. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrics here, like the first cd, are genious, comepletely genious, Adam and Fred manage to put together the most commonly used phrases and make them into a song. I've heard such writing from only TBS and Brand New (coicidentally are having fueds over past friendships, listen to "there's no "I" in team" from Tell All Your Friends which is a obvious blow to Brand New's Jesse Sacey) have ever come up with. With lyrics such as "so pace, the, stairs to your apartment, like its where you want to be" kick off the cd, and lyrics like "this glass house, is burning down, you light the match, ill stick around" finish it off. But the variation of songs throughout the record is quite pleasing, from "harder" stuff like "A Decade Under The Influence" to acousticlly performed by Adam's song "New American Classic". Like "Cute Without The E" from Tell All Your Friends, I believe that " A Decade Under The Influence" will be the hit song from this cd, or atleast the one that lives on when people look back many years from now. // 8

Overall Impression: If you compared this cd to Tell all your friends, unless you heard this one first, you would probably side with tell all your friends, dont get me wrong, TBS is a great band, still my favorite, but the loss of John and Cooper was an obvious downsizing of their writing ability. If you are thinking about buying this cd, definatly consider buying "Tell All Your Friends" first. But its a great buy none the less! // 8

Where You Want to Be Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 23, 2004

Sound: This album is very well produced and was secretly being recorded. On March 1st 2004 and met the producer Lou Giordano and recorded it in Mission Sound NY. In the UK it was released in late July so it must have been a big rush. The production is normal, tailor made for hits. Take Set Phasers to Stun it shoud be a world wide hit it has appeal unlike most emo bands. // 10

Lyrics: Adam does a sound job. He might'nt be as gifted as Matt Davies (Funeral For A Friend)but rises above the Emo class he can scream, sing normal, hit high notes. Song writing is effective, catchy and sad. But then Emo has always been about heartbreak"about how we paint our sins on the ceiling, I keep them glued to my chest, It keeps me close like a promised kept." Off Set Phasers to Stun. // 10

Overall Impression: If you dig Emo its a must, If your only getting into Rock its easy to get into. Any way your a winner I paid 11 for my copy I wear it on my heart. But if your looking for something better try Funeral For A Friends Causally Dressed And Deep In Conversation. Where you want To Be's standout songs would be The Union, New American Classic. The End of the album is supriour to the start so go from track 7-11 for the best thrills. Dig Thrice, Finch, FFAF, Hawthorne Heights buy it now. // 10

Where You Want to Be Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 03, 2004

Sound: The sound in this album is absolutely inscredible. Every single song is both catchy and somewhat unique. A couple songs sound a little alike, but then again the songs themselves are awesome so it deosnt matter. Its like your favorite song being copied and changed a little, but thats barely the case. The guitar sound varies from standard picks to finger picking for more emotional songs like New American Classic. The sound will take you in at the beginning and since the second "side" has the more catchy songs, it will gradually pull you in more and more untill your hooked and need to listen the whola album through many many times to get enough of it. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are a blend of sadness, acceptance etc. Standard for Emo bands. Taking Back Sunday, however uses their large number of members to their full potential. You will experiance up to four (maybe more) voices at a time with beautiful harmony. Durning these moments, the lyrics differ between some band members and they fit together perfectly creating an effect that you cant get enough of. The lead singer does a great job of hitting the high notes with out shattering our ear drums, screaming with the proper effect (no wimpy wailing) and pulls everything in between off with amazing crispness. // 10

Overall Impression: This album rocked my pants and for 14-15 bucks, its an absolute steal for the amound of tireless listning youll put into it. There is not ONE song that is bad, there is not one song that is even mediocre. Every single song classifies under: Awesome, being the lowest category, better and best. The best songs in my opinion are One-Eighty By Summer, Slowdance On The Inside and a Decade Under The Influence. Even then you will constantly be hitting the rewind button for songs like The Union, New American Classic, Bonus Mosh Pt. 2 and the list goes on and on. // 10

Where You Want to Be Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 14, 2004

Sound: Taking Back Sunday is great. No question. They have such a unique sound. I could listen to them day in and day out. As a matter of fac, that's exactly what I do. They manage to make every song as catchy as the one before. A hard task to accomplish I must say. They never fall into a creative rut. They are amazing. // 10

Lyrics: TBS have mastered the art or repetition. They can say something in a song 50 times and it still doesn't get annoying. A good example of this is in the song "A Decade Under the Influence". The guitarist sings "I got a bad feeling about this" so many times. But listening to it, you just don't care. You actually feel like singing it with him so many times as well. Plus, the lead singer's voice is great. He's not a perfect singer, but I think the beauty of it is, he embraces that. His voice even breaks in some songs (not as much as Tell All Your Friends, which proves he has become a better singer), but even still it sounds great. // 10

Overall Impression: This is by far one of the best cds this year. With every song being equally as good, what's there not to like? If you like The Used, or Funeral For A Friend, or even Yellowcard, you'll like Taking Back Sunday. If I was to lose my cd, which would be impossible 'cause I'm so protective of it (actually, I'd salute the person who stole it 'cause it would take quite an attempt on their part. Then I'd ruin their sh--t 'cause I'd realize they just stole one of the best cds of the year!) I'd pick up another copy ASAP! I suggest you do the same! // 10

Where You Want to Be Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 19, 2004

Sound: This is album (Where You Want To Be) sounds so much better than their previous album. That may have been cause of their previous lead guitar/singer! This is one of those albums that you can listen thru without skipping a track. The first song, "Set Phasers To The Sun" is a very strong and energetic way to open up the album. I espeically like this album as I did with the previous because of two contributing vocals not just one. As for the guitar riffs, I find it is all pretty much the same for a lot of the songs, that is chords being played as 1/8 notes. These 1/8 notes comprise the majority of the verse riff for virutally all their songs in this album with the exception of "New American Classic". Nonetheless, the guitar riffs are very catchy and very melodic. As for "New American Classic", the acoustic song in this album, the guitar work is wonderful. It is definetely finger picked and sounds very melodic. The solo he has in this song is also noteworthy. I read in Guitar World magazine that they use Gibson SG guitars for most of their recordings. All in all, this album sounds great! // 8

Lyrics: If there is one thing that makes Taking Back Sunday stand out from other punk rock bands, it is definetely their lyrics. I wouldn't say they are the most mature lyrics, but the lyrics are always catchy! Lyrics such as "I've got a bad feeling about this" (A Decade Under The Influence), and spritzy choruses like "I said I'm gonna have myself in shambles, before your folks are up and are lookin for some answers! " (Little Devotional) make this an album which is fun to sing along too. Both the lead singer and the back up singer (the lead guitarist) have exceptionally fitting voices, both can scream when it is needed, and the screaming is delivered in acceptable portions (unlike Alexisonfire). // 10

Overall Impression: Taking Back Sunday opened for Blink 182 this summer (2004). But I would have to say, Taking Back Sunday had a far superior album compared to Blink's new self-titled album. I say this because the Taking Back Sunday album is pure, there are no weird effects, its simple, straight-up rock and roll music. The new Blink album has too many effects, too many weird experimentations that it seems like they are trying way too hard to be different. The only thing that I hate about my Taking Back Sunday album is the fact that each song literally has the same format! (Ex members of Taking Back Sunday also accused TBS cuz of this) Other than that, and even that isn't a big deal, this album is flawless. If I lost my cd, I would definetely go out and buy a new one because this is one CD I constantly listen to. // 10

Where You Want to Be Reviewed by: canadian_woo, on december 08, 2004

Sound: This is a really great sounding CD. I really like the singing from Adam Lazzara and the way Fred Mascherino backs him up. There are a lot of different music styles on this album, there are shout pop rock gems (This Photograph), slow string ballads (New American Classic) and infectious punk anthems (A Decade Under The Influence). The sound of this album is very good and the main reason for why I bought this album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics for the most part are very good but also can be very difficult to understand. It might be just my ignorance but I can't make out what he hell they are singing about it some songs. The lyrics do go over the lyrics greatly though. Both Adam Lazzara and Fred Mascherino show that they do have great talent through out the record. // 8

Overall Impression: I haven't heard all the tracks on TBS first CD, but from what I have heard they both seem to be very good. I think the most impressive songs on the CD are: A Decade Under The Influence and A Little Devotion. I would recommend this CD to anyone who likes bands like Blink 182, Brand New ect. If this CD were lost or stolen I would definitely but it again because I think it is a really good CD. // 8

Where You Want to Be Reviewed by: A_Small_Victory, on february 12, 2005

Sound: I hate it when bands sell out. But it's not really TBS's fault that all these posers started listening to them. Dispite them selling out, this CD is really good. I think that everybody in the band is very musically talented. // 8

Lyrics: I think the lyrics are better in this CD rather than their last. In their last CD the old back up singer would mostly just echo the lead singer's words. I don't think that TBS's lyrics are really that deep and I think that they get a little to emo sometimes. // 8

Overall Impression: I guess there can only be one CD like "Tell All Your Friends." I find "Where You Want To Be" very stale and boring at times and I don't listen to it very often. My favorite song on this CD is "Little Devotional." If I lost this CD I would not spend money to get it back, but I would instead go out and buy their first CD again, which I encourage all of you to do the same. (Except for the posers whose first song they heard by TBS was "A Decade Under The Influence.") // 8

Where You Want to Be Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 16, 2005

Sound: I think Taking Back Sunday is the best band in the world (apart from Boxcar Racer and Blink 182). Their sound is fantastic. Their music has evolved so much since their previous stuff. Every song has the best riffs from Fred and Eddie, Matt's bass lines and great and Mark's awesome drum beats just hold every song together. Their just fantastic! // 10

Lyrics: Adam Lazzara has a fantasic voice and their lyrics compliment his voice and the music so well. Their songs are not just about moaning about how life sucks and losing a girl that they were in love with. Their songs really have meanings and they all touched me. // 10

Overall Impression: 'Where You Want To be' is so much more mature than their first album 'Tell All Your Friends.' I absolutley love 'A Decade Under The Influence', 'Bonus Most Pt. 2', 'New American Classic' and 'Number Five With A Bullet.' To be really honest their is nothing that I dislike about this album or this band. They rock my socks! If it were to get stolen or I lost it I would cry and get another one straight away! If you don't have this album you have to go get it! It is the best! I would just like to say Adam Lazzara is hot! // 10

Where You Want to Be Reviewed by: random_player, on july 08, 2005

Sound: Taking Back Sunday have really shown their musical talent in this album. They've got really great solos for each instrument. Also, I was impressed by how much they've accomplished since their last album. The sound is really exciting and complex, punk bands just don't get better than that. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in the album were pretty fun and catchy. They confused me a bit at first, but they got better as I listened to the album more. Adam Lazzara's got an amazing voice and it goes beutifully with the lyrics. Back up singing is well mixed too, a bit overdone at times but still great. // 10

Overall Impression: I really enjoyed this album and would buy it again if it got stolen or lost. I can tell tbs has worked hard to make this record out and that's really what makes them shine. Some great tracks are 'The Union,' 'New American Classic' and 'Little Devotional'. // 10

Where You Want to Be Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 18, 2005

Sound: I first heard TBS when I got the Spiderman 2 soundtrack. The song "This Photograph Is Proof (I Know You Know)" is on the CD, but it wasn't until I heard "A Decade Under The Influence" that I was really interested in the band. So, I went out to get the CD "Where You Want To Be," and I was actually surprised at what I found. The 3 singles Taking Back Sunday had chosen for the record were good, but pale in comparison to some other songs. The sound is kind of an emo feel, with more punk and other stuff in it. Adam's voice is awsome, and does so many things. In this CD, the sound goes from loud, to almost too loud, to soft, then loud again. The sound is great and very unique. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on the album are not what you would expect from this band. They can be fun, but in songs such as "New American Classic" get very emotional and sweet. I'm not sure, but if you listen to the cd start to finish, you may be able to make out a story. The lyrics are great and in my opinion, way better than the previous "Tell All Your Friends." // 10

Overall Impression: In conclusion, this is a very good album. If your not farmiliar with TBS, consider borrowing it from a friend first, but otherwise, go buy it. The best songs on the CD are "A Decade Under The Influence," "New American Classic" and "...Slowdance On The Inside." If I lost it, I would buy it again. // 10

Where You Want to Be Reviewed by: Zamboni, on november 07, 2005

Sound: Taking Back Sunday has redefined the meaning of emo and post-hardcore music; taking it from whiny pop-punk music, to more well thought-out, better played, songs. They incorporate a good number of time-signatures, which is always good to see, and they have a good command of their instruments, often interlacing guitar melodies and bass lines to form smooth, flowing passages. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics, despite what most emo-bashers would like you to believe, are well written and meaningful, as is lots of emo music. It is put into a setting where the lyrics get a chance to develop meaning within the listener, not just to rhyme with eachother. The dual vocal lines of both singers are very well meshed, and the singing is complemented with well-placed screams. Overall, the singing/screaming is quite skillful and well-used in the music style. // 9

Overall Impression: My thoughts on this album are generally of a well produced, well recorded piece of work. TBS have made a quality record, without sacrificing musical creativity or ideas. All songs are pretty good, but the cream of the crop would have to be number 1-5 and 7. If stolen or lost, I would most likely get another copy. It's a good album by a good band. // 9

More Taking Back Sunday reviews rating latest review