Time To Burn Review

Lyrics: 8.5
 9.1
 9.2
Time To Burn Reviewed by: Snowman388, on august 25, 2010

Sound: Taking Dawn is an aspiring hard rock/glam metal band from Las Vegas. I've seen in a couple interviews, and they are "not glam metal, just listen to our solos". Which is always good to hear, and man are those solos good to hear. These guys take influence heavily from the '80s, with the likes of Guns 'N' Roses, early Bon Jovi etc. However, they add a modern-day-metal-like shredding element to the formula. Chris Babbit (the vocalist) and Mikey Cross work their axes to the limit on the album, with great guitar work on tracks like "Like A Revolution" and "Take Me Away". Not only are the solos face-melting, but they work extremely well with the melody lines. Even though they shred very well, they move away from it on other tracks. On "So Loud" and "Fight 'Em With Your Rock" they lay down a great sounding groove with fist-pumping choruses. They are high-energy and give you a breather from the oh-so-glorious shredding. What seperates this album from others is, believe it or not, a cover. They cover Fleetwood Mac's "The Chain", with a metal twist on it. Their innovation and creativity with the track, while staying true to the original, gives a fresh feel but won't upset Mac fans. This balance really shows what this band is made of. Also, there is an extra track with their song "V" written for the film "V for Vendetta", which is pretty bad-a**. Great guitar work and awesome backing vocals. My only complaint, and I'm nitpicking here, is their backing vocals. They have a "gang-bang of backing vocals", which I find creative and quite effective. However, at times, they tend to drown out Babbit's vocals and can overwhelm the average listener (not like me, I'm too awesome to be overwhelmed). // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics from very deep, like in "Close Your Eyes", to choruses involving "HALLE-F*CKING-LUJAH!" I found the lyrics to be fun on the fun songs and emotional on the deeper songs, but they worked with the music and made it fuller. Chris Babbit is a very talented vocalist, on "Time to Burn" he shines, and is one of the high points of the album. However, I already mentioned the backing vocals. // 9

Overall Impression: "Time To Burn" is a very solid and entertaining debut album, and contends with many seasoned artists' masterpieces. The heavy '80s influences obviously provide a good foundation and Taking Dawn does a great job of turning this into a hard rock album that is great for the casual listener. As Chris Babbit said: "Tattoos just aren't for me. I love them, but they're just not for me. It's kind of like guys having sex with other guys, nothing wrong with it, but I'm not gonna do it. All you guys banging other guys, great job!" This album may not be for you, but it's one hell of a good album. // 9

Time To Burn Reviewed by: 2jpe2, on october 04, 2011

Sound: The band is very good. They sound like a very talented and well (although minimally) produced 80's band.The album is unfortunately only about 45 minutes but is full of great songs. Each song is different and has a distinct hook, but they all have their distinct guitar playing. The songs have a fairly broad range from fast high energy songs ("So Loud", "Fight 'Em With Your Rock"), emotionally powerful and catchy songs ("Take Me Away", "Never Enough"), and a surprising but very well played cover of "The Chain". They sound great live too. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are good, they sound very 1980's (all about girls, sex and rebellion). The lyrics are good but fit great with the music they play. The singer has a good baritone-tenor vocal range and is very expressive with his voice. He has a very 80's sounding singing style. // 9

Overall Impression: They don't sound like any specific other artist but the guy at the merch booth had a very apt description calling them "a cross between Avenged Sevenfold and Skid Row". The most impressive songs are "Take Me Away", "Never Enough", "Endlessly" and "The Chain". I love the sound, the guitars, the hooks and really everything. There is nothing I hate, I find "Fight 'Em With Your Rock" to be the weakest song. I would buy this again, I already bought the full CD after owning three of the tracks from the demo instead of buying the missing songs online so yes I would buy it if it was stolen. // 10

Time To Burn Reviewed by: Amuro Jay, on february 04, 2010

Sound: The glitz and glamour of Sin City come alive in Taking Dawn's hard rockin' debut, Time To Burn. Although this is a young band and it is 2010, their sound takes you back to the 80's and early 90's, the glory days of hard rock. Had Taking Dawn been around in those days, I wouldn't be surprised to see them touring with bands like Motley Crue, Skid Row, and GnR. Their grooves are infectious, their songs are catchy, their solos are flashy, and their choruses are memorable. Just like how rock and roll should be. Once the album starts, you're hit with track after track of attitude and energy. There are a few songs with slower tempos, but most of them are at a relatively quick pace. A solid rhythm section and melodic guitar leads add fuel to the fire, while soaring choruses promote sing-alongs at shows. The music itself sounds like legit classic rock with a modern touch to it. A slightly metallic modern touch. It's a very versatile record. There are songs to mosh and headbang to and there are others that just make you want to dance. If this band has mastered one art, it's the art of making people want to move. // 9

Lyrics: The singer, while having a pleasing voice, also has a wonderful ear for melody. Songs like Time to Burn and Take Me Away have such epic choruses that you can't resist singing along. Other songs like Fight 'Em with Your Rock showcase a vocal style similar to Vince Niel on some of Crue's quicker songs. A talented singer indeed. Lyrics aren't exactly a strong point for the band. Being a band focused around having fun, depth in lyrics is rare. It's more about having catchy lines to remember.However, that isn't to say that there aren't lyrics on here that are meaningful. Godless, Close Your Eyes, and a few others have relatively well written lyrics. // 8

Overall Impression: If you're a fan of anything 80's, even Iron Maiden (as the band says), you should give Taking Dawn a shot. I'm pretty sure they're on tour right now with Theory of a Deadman. So if you're going to their show anytime soon, watch them play and pick up a copy of their record. If you like your rock with a side of groove and energy, then this should please you. This is perfect music to drive to, and a stunning debut. While the 80's cliches can be tiresome at times, it is important to realize that this music is made to have fun to. Don't act all serious and critical. If you enter this album with a critical mindstate, you might not enjoy it as much. Check out the songs So Loud, Time to Burn, and Fight 'Em with your Rock. There's also a really nifty cover of Fleetwood Mac's "The Chain". So get out there and rock! // 9

Time To Burn Reviewed by: FlightofIcarus, on february 22, 2010

Sound: Here we are with Taking Dawn's "Time to Burn". Formerly known as 7th Son, this is the debut album from TD that showcases what this band has evolved to. Here, you will find a sound that is very much inspired by the 80's hard rock/glam metal greats, but with a fresh, modern twist thrown in. The end result is a barrage of headbangin' good riffs, catchy melodies, flashy solos, and memorable choruses. Songs such as Time to Burn, Godless, and Save Me showcase a more modern vibe from the band, while songs such as So Loud, and Fight 'em With your Rock will have you thinking these guys could play with a band like Motley Crue or Skid Row, and fit right in. There's even a cool Fleetwood Mac cover at the end of the disc. From start to finish, you'll find yourself getting hooked, and before you know it, you might just be singing along! // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics, while they fall into 80's rock cliche's at times, are well written, and fit the mood of the songs perfectly. The subjects of the songs tend to revolve around rock and roll, sex, betrayal, and rebellion. Chris is a talented vocalist, who is capable of both aggressive, gruff sounding vocals, such as in the title track, and also higher-octave wails, such as those heard in Fight 'em with Your Rock. His style seamlessly blends in with the background music. You know when something just sounds as right as can be? well this is it. 80's hard rock fans will be very pleased, as well as those looking for something different than what most newer bands are doing out there right now. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, I would say this is a fantastic debut album from this up and coming band. I've been hooked on it for weeks, much so in the same way I did when I discovered many of the classic albums from the era that seems to have inspired this band the most. But to call it a re-hash of 80's metal would just be an outright lie, as they have taken this classic sound, and added their own twist to it. This is a fresh sounding band, that will capture your attention. The whole album is quite awesome, so it's quite hard to pick just a few favorites, but I find myself listening to Like a Revolution, So Loud, and Fight 'em with your Rock the most. If I have to think of something "wrong" with this album, it is only minor quirks. Some tracks sound a bit overproduced at times for this style of music IMHO, but that's about it really. This is a must in my record collection. I'm already stoked for whatever this band puts out next! P.S: Those who have followed this band since the 7th Son days may be pleased to know that "V" is a bonus track on the special edition of this album. // 9

Comments