Blue-Sky Research Review

Released: Aug 16, 2005
Label: Velvet Hammer/Atlantic
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Metal, Rap-Metal
Taproot returns to the scene with Blue-Sky Research, their melodic yet hard-hitting follow-up to the critically acclaimed Welcome.
 Lyrics: 9.4
 8.6
 8.9
 8.3
Blue-Sky Research Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 18, 2005

Sound: I gotta say this 3rd effort by Taproot shows the band as a whole stronger than ever. The guitars are great in here and creative, bass as usual is very good, and the drums are on top of it. I felt that this CD shows a level of maturity in song writing that by far blows away any of there previous 2 efforts (Gift and Welcome). I very much enjoyed how this CD sounded, on all overall levels. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are strong, powerful, and deal with many topics. Stephen Richards song writing skills were very good but a major improvement can already be noticed here. And Billy Corgan is able to add more to the lyrics on the songs Violent Seas, Lost in the Woods, Promise. Also it is noticable taht Stephen Richards is using a much more natural voice, and the maturity of his voice is quite noticable on this album, making this a much more listenable album. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this CD was very powerful and well done, and completely blows away Taproot's first 2 CDs. This CDs is a major and positive step forward for Taproot's musical career. I absolutely loved how the voice of Stephen Richards has improved on this CD and how the song writing has become more complex than there first 2 efforts, but what I found incredibly good about this album that tere was nothing to hate about it. Choice songs on this CDs are: I Will Not Fall For You, Violent Seas, Birthday, Facepeeler, Forever endeavor, April Suits, Blue-Sky Research/What's Left. This is definately one of the best albums of the year and and any fan will love this cd and any new comer will be incredibly impressed. Taproot is trying to stand out as a quality and individual band, and with this CD they do just so. // 10

Blue-Sky Research Reviewed by: ohmerrymayhem, on august 25, 2005

Sound: First, let me preface this by saying I've been a fan of Taproot since their first CD. They had a raw sound that was equal parts harmony and rage. This is what appealed to me, as well as the textural and jutting guitar work and Steven Richards's emotional vocals. Having said that, Taproot have strayed far far from their roots, shooting down their initial ideas for overly polished and wholly radio friendly songs. The songs stink of popular radio, and Billy Corgan's (who helped co-write half the album) fingerprints are all over it. Great if you're a Smashing Pumpkins fan, not so good if you're a Taproot fan. // 2

Lyrics: The lyrical content was about the on ly thing that stayed true to its roots. They are as passionate and emotional as ever. His voice has improved drastically both in terms of control and tonal quality. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression is that this is both Taproot's weakest and probably last effort. If they continue to go this direction, they'll be strumming acoustic guitars under the moonlight and serenading teenage girls in an attempt to convince them to go to the prom. What a shame. If this album were stolen or lost, I would consider myself lucky to be rid of it and probably celebrate by throwing an overly large party. A severe disappointment. // 2

Blue-Sky Research Reviewed by: Void, on september 06, 2005

Sound: The best way to describe the sound on Blue-Sky Research is smooth. The songs all flow, the singing and guitar tones really mesh together. Much of the heavier songs on the CD sound very downtuned to get that real heavy sound which can be sometimes over-used. One of my favorite tracks on the CD however is "Promise," where Taproot's guitar tone will take you back to 1985! // 10

Lyrics: Great lyrics. They come to life by the way they are sung. Just reading them doesnt do them any justice. This is evident on their single "Calling," where the opening verse is very distant sounding. The singer also has that great ability to go from a crazy metal scream to awesome melodic singing with out us having to hear him clear his throat on the recording. // 8

Overall Impression: I love to listen to this CD in the car. The flow of the songs makes me drive fast so I'll probaly get a ticket soon. I like almost every song on the CD, "Forever Endeavor" and "Her" are two of my favorites. I cant really say theres anything I hate about the CD. If this CD were lost or stolen then I would make another one from the MP3's on my computer immediatley. // 10

Blue-Sky Research Reviewed by: Monapy, on january 25, 2006

Sound: This album is deffinately a triumph. The Blue-Sky Research is not like it's predecessors (Gift, Welcome). Though they were good albums they cannot match the sound of Blue-Sky Research. Steven Richards sounds alot more natural on this album and it is alot clearer to make out the lyrics. The guitar riffs in songs like Calling, Birthday, Face Peeler and Forever Endeavor are unforgetable. They have really put more effort into ther guitar and bass works aswell as there lyrics. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in Blue-Sky Research stray from the original state of depression brought on by the first two albums. They focus more on relationships rather than contimplating on how much they hate themsleves. Steve has reformed his vocal style rather than Screaming every second word he put more melody into it and it sounds more natural. Don't get me wrong loud screams are good but sometimes it is also good to see a change. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall I would say that this is one of the best CD's I have listened to in a while. I would deffinately recommend purchasing this album. The Sound and lyrical quality is unforgetable I would put this album in my top ten. // 10

Blue-Sky Research Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 19, 2005

Sound: Amazing music. It's like Tool and Weezer combined with Taproots own style of melodoy. Best record they have written to this date. They spent a lot of time on this album but it shows by far. I wish Deftones would have spent time like this on their last album instead of being lazy. This ablum is I think at the top of good music that's been released (Staind and NIN) lately. // 10

Lyrics: Top of the line, it's different too. Their is still that Taproot harmany in some of the songs but I think his emotions have really stepped out into the light in this album. Lyrics are very different from the typical punk/rock/metal bands he uses differnt words makes it fresh. // 10

Overall Impression: Buy it and see for yourself. // 10

Blue-Sky Research Reviewed by: poisonthewell19, on august 24, 2005

Sound: The sound is definately the best I've heard in a while. I love guitar and Stephen Richard's voice. He's got such a different sounding voice. Different in a good way that he doesn't sound like anybody else and he has his own individual voice. I'm not joking you when I tell you that I love every song that is on this CD. Every song sounds different and has its own special ring to it. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this cd are incredible. I love the lyrics especially of the songs She and Blue-sky research/What's left. They use lyrics that caught my eye and really show the talent that they have. And when you have lyrics like this, and when you have awesome sound that they have, you just have a loveable CD and that's exactly what this CD is. // 10

Overall Impression: When I bought this album, I knew it was going to be a success. They put lots of hard work into this cd and Billy Corgan definately helped them out a lot too. I have been a fan of all Taproot's cd but this one definately tops out as the best so far. If you liked Taproot before, buy this cd because they still kick ass and if you haven't really listened to Taproot before, I suggest you also buy this CD and listen to this incredible band. // 10

Blue-Sky Research Reviewed by: TheGimpMaster01, on september 08, 2006

Sound: Taproot's new CD has some of the most unusual progressions in it. It's extremely innovative. Most of the songs aren't as speedy and quick as they are on Gift and Welcome. These songs lend themselves more towards the "dark" side. Almost every song incorporates major and minor keys and the diminished shifts between them. It's great! Taproot instilled their classic sound with their first album, and thankfully it's still present in this album. I like that when bands can keep their originality throughout the course of their CD creation. The screaming parts are well placed and not overused. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on this CD are much better than before. I especially like the lyrics to the songs "Birthday" and "April Suits". The lyrics all fit the songs written for them. Not unexpected. The singer, Stephen Richards, has a great voice too. It's powdered with vibrato at the ends of phrases and the harmonics in the songs are always really full and rich (a classic Taproot sound). I wouldn't be surprised if he's had voice training of some sort. // 9

Overall Impression: In comparison to other songs on my iTunes, the Blue-Sky Research is in my top-rated list! Of course, it's always hard to judge the album, especially if it is new, but I think you can tell when a good album arrives. Some of the best songs from the album are "April Suits" and "Calling". They are both similiar in that they're major and minor and are have heavy choruses (it's a really interesting listen). There's not much negative to say about Blue-Sky Research, except for the fact that they could've written more songs for it. I'd definitly buy a new album is some retard stole it. // 8

More Taproot reviews rating latest review
+ The Episodes 7.2 05/14/2012