Sounds Of The Season: The Taylor Swift Holiday Collection Review

7.5
 7.7
 7.3
review (1) 5 comments vote for this album:
Sounds Of The Season: The Taylor Swift Holiday Collection Reviewed by: StarsFallForMJ, on july 30, 2010

Sound: This EP was originally released in 2007 as a limited release, exclusively for Target stores. It was later re-released in October 2009 on the iTunes store. The record mainly comprises of cover songs, although Swift did write two original songs for the EP. The sound of the album is country pop; Taylor's signature style! She manages to 'countrify' even the traditional Christmas Carol 'Silent Night', by changing the normaly piano based track to include acoustic guitars, Swift also speeded up the origninal tempo. On this record, Taylor covers 'Last Christmas' by Wham!, adding her signature country twang to the 80's holiday hit. Taylor's voice suits this track, along with the 5 other songs on this record. I did feel the record needed more tracks, 6 just didn't quite do it! // 7

Lyrics: Of the two songs that Taylor wrote for this record, the lyrics are impressive for a, then 17, songwriter. She writes, in 'Christmases When You Were Mine', about the lonlieness some people feel around Christmas. She adresseses this issue with raw emotion, as usual Taylor writes from experience and sings from the heart. She manages to hit a nerve with this song. The other song that she wrote, 'Christmas Must Be something More', is an upbeat track, with an important message. She sings about how many people forget what the real reson behind Christmas actually is; the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ. She sings 'something holy, not superficial. So here's to the birthday boy who saved our lives!'. Taylor, once again, tackles a sensitive issue gently, and with a great melody! Taylor has a huge talent for writing, a talent that is proved in these two tracks. She seems to be able to write about any concievable issue, and make it totally appeal to the vast audience that se has. I would have liked to have heard more like these tracks! // 8

Overall Impression: I think this EP is a good effort from the young country star. I feel it may have benifited from being longer, and with more original tracks from Taylor. However, I would reccomend this holiday album to anyone! Its a must for any Taylor fan! I really enjoyed Taylor's take on the classic 'Silent Night', it was a raw, real sound, filled with emotion. This for me was the highlight of the record! With other highlights being her cover of 'White Christmas' and both of her original songs. 'Santa Baby' was an slight let down, but it was upbeat and a good vocal effort from Taylor, although would have been better replaced with another of her originals. I would like to hear more of this type of music from Taylor, she has a long career ahead! // 8

More Taylor Swift reviews rating latest review