Calm Before The Storm [EP] Review

8.9
 7.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Calm Before The Storm [EP] Reviewed by: TR_Guitarist, on january 31, 2013

Sound: These guys are from Perth, WA Australia. They all live quite far from each other, however met through Facebook and other online social networking sites. It started out as just James and Trent on guitar, and they really wanted to make a band and so they welcomed singer - Vincent along. Not long after that they found a drummer who is now no longer apart of the band, but he also introduced the bassist, Jarrad. Tempest Rising's sound is different, its unique and it doesn't sound like anything I've heard before. When somebody asks who they sound like, I tell them they sound like Tempest Rising. I cannot put a similar band sound to them. They incorporate thrash, 80's metal, metalcore, nu-metal, djent and hard rock into their music. Their tuning is in Drop C. Tempest Rising consist of solos, breakdowns and slick bridges amongst verses and chorus'. The art work on their EP is beautiful. The back of a man in a suit all in black holding a black umbrella in a field of long grass looking over at the sky, which is stormy. I.e. "Calm Before The Storm" by Tempest Rising. The booklet in the CD case has photos of the band and their friends scattered through it like a collage. They look like they are from all parts of the music industry, but come together without clashing. I recommend you check these guys out, they're on Facebook, Reverbnation and Twitter. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics these guys use are written by both singer Vince and guitarist Trent. Vince has a wide range in his vocals, he can scream and then go straight to clean then back again to an aggressive scream/yell. Without the voice sounding crackly. You can hear this on the CD, but if you think that its all just digitalised. Check him out live, its not and I can promise you that. The lyrics are from everyday lift and of fiction too. Vince tends to write to the point in the songs, though if you notice metaphors, that is Trent's lyrical skill. He likes to write behind his lyrics leaving listeners pondering what he really wants you to hear. // 7

Overall Impression: Tempest Rising aren't like any other artist out there. The EP is just to show you what they are like, similar to what other bands first CD's are out to show you. They have more songs that they play live which I hope to see on an upcoming album. Which hopefully will be put together late this year 2013. The songs on this EP are called, "No Remorse", "Hollow Dreams", "My Extacy" and "The Descent". "The Descent" is a very breakdown sort of a song to put it out there in an easy way of explaining it. It's heavy, it's loud and it packs a punch! "My Extacy", the first song on the EP, starts off with a punky fill, but once you heard the chorus, you'll be googling the lyrics, its a really sing along sort of song that you have to know before you catch them in your town next! "Hollow Dreams" is a little bit slower. Well alot slower. It is a clean song with little noise later in the song. It's very powerful, in the sense that the lyrics will give you goosebumps if you can relate to it. "No Remorse" is my favourite, it's fast, it's heavy, it's punky and it's awesome. The vocals are fast on this track so check out the lyrics so you can understand what's going on. The song has a fantastic meaning but I'll leave that to you to look up. I would buy this album over and over if it was stolen or lost... (though the boys have written on the booklets backing - you have purchased or stolen the EP - Shows the humour these guys have. The reason being, I like to support local bands and upcoming bands so they can afford to keep making more music. And I love having the artwork in possession.

// 8