Temple Of The Dog Review

temple of the dog: Temple Of The Dog
Released: Apr 16, 1991
Genre: Grunge, Alternative Rock
Label: A&M
The album's strength is its mournful, elegiac ballads, but thanks to the band's spontaneous creative energy and appropriately warm sound, it's permeated by a definite, life-affirming aura.
 Lyrics: 9.8
Temple Of The Dog Reviewed by: ZeroOneSun, on may 22, 2009

Sound: The sound on this particular album is very good. The producer performed well especially since this album was only a part-time project for Chris Cornell. Temple of the Dogs only CD was a tribute to Mother Love Bone frontman, Andrew Wood. Chris Cornell and Andrew Wood were room mates at one point and upon hearing of Wood's heroin overdose, Cornell wrote Say Hello 2 Heaven. Soundgarden was on tour at the time of Wood's death so Cornell was left alone to deal with this personal trajedy. While on tour Cornell also wrote the song Reach Down. Jeff Ament and Stone Gossard were also members of Temple of the Dog. This album was released before Pearl Jam's Ten came out and Eddie Vedder performed background vocals on several tracks. The songs on this album are generally much lighter than those of Soundgarden, however, Chris Cornell's god-like belting vocals shine throughout. // 10

Lyrics: Chris Cornell is an gifted lyricist. All the songs on the album were fueled by the emotions felt by Cornell after Wood's death, therefore, making them quite powerful songs. Chris Cornell's vocals on this record were near perfect.The lyrics on this album deal with drug abuse, particularly abuse with heroin, as heard in Times of Trouble. // 10

Overall Impression: Seeing that Temple of the Dog contains members from both Pearl Jam and Soundgarden, it makes sense that there are some influences from each band. Say Hello 2 Heaven features very powerful emotional singing from Cornell which was quite impressive. Reach Down, a dramatic 11 minute thriller was quite a pleasent suprise. I have no complaints about any of the songs on this album. If it were stolen I would buy it again ASAP. // 10

Temple Of The Dog Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 01, 2005

Sound: This album is very much like any Pearl Jam album only with Cornell screaming vocals and Matt Cameron pounding the drums. This album delivers one of the greatest vocal performances (Say Hello 2 Heaven) of all time. The guitar is quite distorted with great heavy, powerful riffs. Some song have a lighter, bluesy sound which is quite good. This is a must-have for any rock fan. // 10

Lyrics: Well to put it simply Cornell is the greatest singer alive. He was only topped by Freddie Mercury. So naturally his performance on this album is astonishing. his lyrics are great, not as good as Kurt's but still good. He wrote the music on all but 3 songs, so his lyrics fit the music excellently. // 10

Overall Impression: This album actually sounds moer like a Pearl Jam album than a Soundgarden one. It doesnt exactly have the metal edge that Soundgarden had but its still some great grunge. Say Hello 2 Heaven is mind blowing but the album also includes the hit Hunger Strike. I love this entire album, any so wuold any fan of rock, not just grunge fans. If it was lost or stolen id without a doubt buy a new one. Great album grab yourself one today. // 10

Temple Of The Dog Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 19, 2007

Sound: This album is absolutely amazing. Every single track is a pure work of art. None of these tracks sound like filler at all (although, ironically enough, Hunger Strike was admittedly intended to be a filler track). McCready and then entire band have some awe-inspiring moments, but Chris steals the show. To me this album is more like an emotional journey than just popping in a CD. I wish I could be cliche and say that this CD grew on me, but I was completely hooked the first time I listened to it. I still cannot play this CD without getting chills. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in this CD are so much better than any other because they have such a deep and personal meaning behind them. Songs like 'Say Hello 2 Heaven' and 'Call Me A Dog' almost brought me to tears when I heard them. Still do, actually Chris' voice never soared like it did on this cd. Make it throught the solo on 'Reach Down' and listen to the breakdown when Cornell does like a 5 part harmony with himself. I promise you it will make a believer out of you. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is without a doubt the best piece of music ever produced. If you like Pearl Jam or Chris Cornell, or even if you don't, this CD has an undeniable magic about it. 'Say Hello 2 Heaven', 'Reach Down', 'Call Me A Dog', and 'Four Walled World' are the best tracks on this CD. Go buy this thing! Spread the word! I love it so much I have 2 copies, one for the car and one at home. I would seriously pay $50 for this CD. I'm just glad you and I don't have to. To put it simply, this album is a masterpiece. // 10

Temple Of The Dog Reviewed by: N3WW4V3N1NJ4, on october 16, 2013

Sound: Temple Of The Dog's one and only album, has a very strong sound to it. The supergroup, featuring Chris Cornell of Soundgarden along with most of the band Pearl Jam, originally came together to honor their musical comrade Andrew Wood, who died earlier in the year 1990 and had been in a now-forgotten group called Mother Love Bone, which actually had some of the same members as TOTD. The band sounds exactly like anyone familiar with SG/PJ would expect. That is, it sounds almost the same as Pearl Jam, but Chris Cornell is the lead singer. The result is an album that rocketed Grunge to the beginning of mainstream popularity. // 9

Lyrics: The majority of the lyrics on this album are haunting, powerful and mildly depressing, but it does help that the standard Grunge music accompanies Chris Cornell's strangely sad/angry sounding voice. Some of the instrumentation is surprisingly simple, but that's probably for the better - crazy Eddie Van Halen-style riffing would mess with the vibe of Temple Of The Dog. The overall effect of this album is something like being trapped in the worst non-nightmare dream you could ever possibly imagine, then being pulled out of it, right as the dream reaches its worst part. // 9

Overall Impression: Well, this is a very solid album. All of the musicians involved are at the top of their game and I personally think that if you are a Grunge Rock fan and you have never heard Temple Of The Dog, you owe it to yourself to check it out. The best part about this album is that everyone went on to have rather good bands of their own. Cornell, of course, was the frontman for Soundgarden while the rest of TOTD formed Pearl Jam with Eddie Vedder. The only real bad thing is, Chris Cornell almost seems overpowering on a couple tracks, but there's no more downsides that I can think of. It's a worthy album for anyone who likes good music. // 10

Comments