Tenacious D Review

Tones: Sexual, Quirky, Confident, Humorous, Freewheeling, Fun, Uncompromising
Styles: Hard Rock, Alternative Pop/Rock, Comedy Rock
 Lyrics: 9.9
Tenacious D Reviewed by: vox_rox, on october 24, 2005

Sound: Tenacious D. Whether you love 'em or hate 'em you know who they are. The duo consisits of well known actor-turned-tenacious Jack Black and his long time friend Kyle Gass. They realesed their self-titled debut album a couple of years ago, which didn't exactly fall upon deaf ears. The unlikely success of this group was overcame by their pure talent; lyrically and musically. The brains behind the guitars is found in KG (Kyle Gass), who taught Jack how to play his first tasty riffs. He himself was clasically trained, which is described in more hilarious detail with their song "Rock Your Socks Off." The group began together in an actor's club known as "The Actors Club." Seriously. Most of the other actors involved expressed their music genius also, as seen in "Mr. Show With Bob And David." The duo hit it off and soon debuted their material in their own show; "The Tenacious D Show." It only ran through 6 hilarious mini-episodes before they called it quits to pursue musical oppurtunities. They then produced "Tenacious D," their self-titled debut album. The album is filled with second-to-second shananagans and antics, but also seems to put forth catchy tunes that are sure to find their way to a constant loop through your head. Great for those who need a good laugh every now and again. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album are guranteed to make your sides hurt with laughter! Such lyrics as "I love you baby, but all I can think about is Keilbasa Sausage! Your butt cheeks is warm." Granted this album wasn't made for the faint of heart, or anybody under the age of 18 for that matter, as expressed through its 'Parental Advisory' label. Good for adults, great for those under-aged, if you catch my drift. // 10

Overall Impression: Is it just me, or could we all use a little bit more "D" in our lives? I purchased this album when it came out about 2 years ago. Now before I begin, I know there is alot of Tenacious haters out there who give JB and KG absolutley no rock-credibility, simply based on the fact that they are actors. Worse; comedians. Let me tell you something folks, Kyle Gass can play one mean guitar, along side his 'life-partner' Jack Black. Although their songs may be quite simple and easily learned, they did write all of their own material. You might be surprised to find your feet tapping along with their hilarious tunes about 30 seconds into the beginning of the album. Their first song; "Keilbasa Sausage" is guaranteed to get all of your funny bones worked out before heading into the "One Note Song." It's somewhat of a commentary, where JB (Jack Black) writes a song conisting of one song. Funny stuff! This album is refreshing in the sense that they aren't just hitting you hard every track with a head-banging ballad, and also aren't forcing you to weep either. Other skit-songs include "3 Kings," "Karate," and "Hard F--king," which leads into of course, "FHG." This self-titled debut album is practically exploding with funky riffs and joy-envoking lyrics. A definate reccomended buy for those fans of Jack Black's other works. Even if you aren't a fan I suggest you check it out, as again, you may just be surprised. "What do you mean it isn't non-stop? Of course it's non-stop! Always nay-saying!" - Jack Black. Thanks for reading my review, but what are you doing here still? Go out and shower yourself with a load of the D's "Rocket Sauce" (now available in stores). // 10

Tenacious D Reviewed by: fu attacker, on march 19, 2004

Sound: Tenacious D may soundlike a bad idea, a movie star (Jack Black) fronting his own band (or duo) hybrid of a short lived American TV show but its not. The self proclaimed 'Greatest Band in the World' could just be that and once you throw Dave Grohl on drum duties, Steve McDonald on bass and the Dust Brothers on production it can't hurt their greatness. Jack Black is a rock star (see High Fidelity and School of Rock) he wails with variety with a touch of old school AC/DC nostalgia. Kyle Gass on lead guitar provides decent melodies and riffs. You've probably all heard Tribute and Wonderboy which are both wicked songs but its also tracks such as Explosivo, Rock Your Socks, Double Team and Kielbasa that rock. The problem with The D album is that a lot of the tracks are way to short, although awesome they end as soon as you want more. Lee is a great simple song lasting ony a minute, as is Dio and Karate, I'm left wanting more. // 8

Lyrics: Jables and Rage Kage provide us with some pretty damn good songs. The great thing about the D album is their comic slant at the whole rock and roll genre. The album is littered with skits in between songs providing dialogue between the D. They discuss important issues such as inward singing, cock pushups and how women don't always want to be F***ed hard. I find it education... In the actual songs, the lyrics are just as funny particularly in Kielbasa, Double Team, Rock Your Socks and City Hall. There is no hint at childhood suffering, being dumped (although there is reference to being dumped on...), being in love or any of that deep song writing mastered by others. The D are rock and roll concerned with drugs, sex, satan and... Lee? Lyrics - awesome. // 10

Overall Impression: Tenacious D is diffeent and original but old fashioned through the hard rock genre of yesteryear. A toned down fusion between AC/DC and Led Zep. It's as funny as hell but at times tracks are too short. You need to buy it because Jack Black is a genius and KG's pretty nimble with his fingers. If I lost it I would buy it again but then I do have it recorded on my computer. It's the sort of album you'll listen to and get into, then you'll leavie it for a couple of months only to rediscover how great the D really are. Let's hope a 2nd album comes out of them. Long live the D! // 8

Tenacious D Reviewed by: JPaul17, on may 06, 2004

Sound: The sound on this album is great. There's definately talent, and the guitar is never the same. There's even a Bach piece in the middle of a song. Between the acoustic, electric, effects and pretty well the best use of guitar on this style of music, they can do no wrong. // 10

Lyrics: Being a slightly immature person, I find this album funny. Its great that they sing about what they want to sing about, and its always slightly different. This album is not for the faint of heart however, because of the excessive amount of swearing, sexual references, and all around idiocy. Still, very original lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: Could have been longer, and could have done without the skits in between songs. There are about 13 or 14 songs that rock your socks off, but the album should have stopped there. Its really great that there is an actor that can actually make music without being a 16 year old girl who sells out to a clothing line and has no instrumental talent. // 8

Tenacious D Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 17, 2005

Sound: Creating a sound like no other, the D take rock to a whole new demension. Take away the words, and they provide interesting and unpredictable chord changes, along with passionate riffs. Dave Grohl on drums guarantees a good beat. And who would have known an acoustic could sound like that? Explosivo? Inspiritado! // 10

Lyrics: Yes, they sing about nasty sex and drugs and good old rock'n'roll. They did not record this with pretense, they knew exactly what they were doing. Speaking for the lost generation between "X" and "Y", they have universally coded us as the generation "D." It's a whole new counter culture, people! Get on the f--cking bandwagon! // 10

Overall Impression: Remember Ray Stevens, of the '70s? Remember Weird Al Yankovick in the '80s? Remember the Bloodhound Gang of the '90s? Well, the "D" is the new music for the new mellenium, speaking for a whole new counter-culture of infantiles like myself who refuse to grow up. You either like the D or hate the D, but either way you're talking about them. My mother even likes the D, and she is over 50! // 10

Tenacious D Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 01, 2005

Sound: In the start, the music fells kind of rough, with no feelings. But if you listen Jack Black singin, you discover the devotion he puts in to his work. That itself makes this album great. // 10

Lyrics: The band Tenacious D is in fact, according to me, the best band in the world. Their musics makes you want to be a rockstar yourself, 'cause of the fantasy and enthusiasm from lead singer, Jack Black. The lead guitarist, Kyle Gass makes a almost perfect job, so perfect I almost want to call him the greatest guitarist in the world. If you're going to buy the CD, and if you're a guitar enthusiast, listen to the solo on track 4. // 10

Overall Impression: I can't compare this to another album, 'cause it's so grerat. It's in a class for itself! The most impressive songs on this album, is: "Tribute," "Wonderboy," "F--k Her Gently," and "City Hall." I do not hate anything about this CD. I love the whole s--t! And if I lost it, I would definetly bought it again. // 10

Tenacious D Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 04, 2005

Sound: Trying to capture the brilliance of the HBO shorts onto a different medium was no easy task. While some of the tracks work, others are slightly sketchy at best. The acoustic sound was totally unique to the current rock world at the time, and the album inspired to buy an oversized guitar, gain forty pounds, and try and be the next D. // 10

Lyrics: Genius. The straightforward sexual overtones of FHG are hilarious. The Zeppelin-esque Wonderboy vocals are clever. The best lyrical song on the album has got to be Double Team. The acapella section on Tribute is very well done, showing the range of JB and KG. // 10

Overall Impression: Perhaps one of the best albums I own. I misplaced my copy for over a year, yet when one of my friends threw his copy into the CD player, I was still able to sing/speak the whole album verbatum. Absolutly great. // 10

Tenacious D Reviewed by: skylerm0901, on february 13, 2006

Sound: I think the sound was great. In many of their songs showed professional training, and it wasn't just crazy rock that you see a lot. Many styles of singing and guitar were in this album. The music was not all tumbled together like some bands. The guitar and lyrics blended very well, without any sound overpowering another. // 10

Lyrics: They both can sing, but JB took most of the singing limelight. The singing sounds very natural. It almost sounds like they make up the lyrics on the spot. // 9

Overall Impression: This CD is very unique in that there are conversations as some of the tracks. Also having an actor as the lead singer may get people interested in this CD. I love the fact that they actually put thier imagination into this CD. Some bands just have random words tumbled together with guitar solos. If this CD was stolen or lost id would not even give a second thought about buying another one. // 10

Tenacious D Reviewed by: 360ollie, on may 30, 2006

Sound: Tenacious D a really unique rock band. With there moviestar member Jack Black. Tenascious D are one of my favourite bands its just a pity they didn't realease more songs. My favourite song is definately Tribute. It is a unique song (just like the band). I like it so much it, because it is different to anything you have heard before. It starts of Tenacious D walking down a road and then a demon appears and makes them sing the greatest song in the world. And they play so hard that they destroy the demon with rock. If you ever get a chance to see the video of it, I recommend you do. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are funny and very catchy. Jack Black is a great lead singer, he sings with heart (and unlike many rock singers he can actually sing). Jack Black fits right in with the music (mainly guitar ). // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to other bands Tenacious D are definately different than anything you heard before. The best songs are Tribute and Wonderboy (they also have really good videos so try and see them if you can). If it was stolen I would buy it again (even though I have all the songs on my iPod). // 9

Tenacious D Reviewed by: TheRealTrooper, on september 03, 2007

Sound: I love this band! I mean they are of corse the greatest band in the world. it's amazing how they can make a couple of acoustc guitars rock hard. Complete with drumming from Dave Grohl (former drummer of nirvana, and now guitarist and vocalist for the foo fighters), whom they met at a club during one of their first songs ' Tribute ' which is track 3. They tend to have a mix of tracks composed of cool songs, and just general funny situations and storys, like a minature play. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are amazing, every song is amazingly funny and lots and lots of swearing (which kids it's not big and it's not clever, but it is dam funnny when they do it). For the best part the music and the lyrics fuse together in an orgy of coolness. With lead vocals by a certain Mr Jack Black, one of the funniest men alive, and a Mr Kyle Gass with backing vocals, they can get cool harmanys and there singing talents are suprising when you look at them, considering how high jack's voice can go. // 10

Overall Impression: Obviously it's not ment to be serious, it's ment to be light hearted fun, but there are some really good songs on there, like tribute, wonderboy and city hall. I love everything on it including the little Bohemian rapsody parody inside the case behind the disk, if it was stolen I would buy it again, hell I might even buy it twice // 10

More Tenacious D reviews rating latest review