The Pick Of Destiny Review

tenacious d: The Pick Of Destiny
Release Date: Nov 14, 2006
Label: Sony
Genres: Comedy Rock, Soundtracks, Heavy Metal, Hard Rock
This is a bit disappointing, but The Pick of Destiny is good as a soundtrack: a souvenir for fans of the film.
 9.1
 9.2
 8.9
The Pick Of Destiny Reviewed by: cuige, on november 18, 2006

Sound: The long awaited album of the world's greatest band is finally here. The verdict: a fantastic CD brimming with catchy tunes, great musicianship and an in-your-face style humour so typical of the dynamic duo Tenacious D. As before, Jack Black returns on lead vocals where he, unsuprisingly, shines and his partner in crime, Kyle Gass, reminds us of his accomplished acoustic guitar skill mixing acoustic rock with flourishs of flaminco. Former Nirvana drummer, Dave Grohl, returns to offer, not only his magnificent drumming skill, but also the voice of the terrifying demon in the song "Beelzeboss (The Final Showdown)". John Spiker performs the bass and the clarinet and John Konesky gives his all to the electric guitar. We're in for a treat as Meat Loaf and the former Black Sabbath singer Ronnie James Dio both sing in the album's opening track "Kickapoo". The sound of the album itself is somewhat more varied compared to the band's first self-titled album. We hear the classic Tenacious D sound in songs like "Kickapoo", "Destiny" and "History" with a mixture of the two species of guitar. However, in songs like "Break In-City (Storm The Gate)" and "Car Chase City" the rock is purely confined to the electric. In short: not the pure Tenacious D sound. This may come as a disapointment to the die-hard D fans but rest assured, there is plenty of the old style D to savour. It is important to mention that this album was released as a soundtrack to the Tenacious D film "The Pick Of Destiny". For this reason, some of the tracks seem to tell a story to which the listener has to use their imagination. They almost seem set to a storyline which is not suprising. The sound is amazing as Kage and Jables remind us of why the are the greatest band on earth. // 9

Lyrics: Predictably, the lyrics are based more on humour than true life stories or personal anguishes. JB concentrates mostly on bringing the point across that this band holds all power and they will rock you. "I did not mean to blow your mind. But that shit happens to me all of the time". That line seems to sum up the theme of the lyrics. You will be in stitchs a lot of the time. One of my fovourite set of lyrics of this album is those of "The Government Totally Sucks". They seem to say what every single anti-government song ever written is saying but in much more straight forward way. "The government totally sucks you motherf--ker" and "If we can all hold hands together we can bring back the U.S.A." Jables does show his softer side (kinda) with songs like "Baby" and "Dude(I Totally Miss You)" Still though, there is still a Tenacious D slant on them and are not "Come back to me I love you etc." We hear too much of that anyway. Jack delivers each and every song with supreme talant. On songs like "Master Exploder" his work is nothing short of amazing. One of the few actors who can actually sing as well. // 10

Overall Impression: Although this album differs from their first, "The Pick Of Destiny" is deserves to be classed the same as it's predecessor as it shows that Tenacious D are still out their rocking our socks off. Different but just as good in it's own right. My favourite songs are "Kickapoo", "Classico" (for the guitar work alone), "The Government Totally Sucks", "Master Exploder", "Car Chase City" and "P.O.D. (Pick Of Destiny)." The rest of the album could easily make that list as well though because they all are fantastic. I was trilled with the inclusion of "History" a song that fans of the Tenacious D HBO shows will remember. If I ever lost it or some son of a gun stole it I would sob for an hour, demand a state funeral and buy it again. Love live the D and the Pick of Destiny. // 10

The Pick Of Destiny Reviewed by: alex2201, on november 25, 2006

Sound: It's amazing how Tenacious D make amzing rock with just acoustic guitars. This is their second album and it's the soundtrack to their movie with the same name as the album. There is a variety rock and metal. There is a lot of acoustic stuff, especially in songs like kickapoo, government totally sucks and classico. There are some amazing metal songs aswell, such as Master Exploder and Beezleboss. Baby is pretty strange and Papagenu(which is about a sasquash) just freaks me out. Kyle Gass is great as lead guitarist. Dave Grohl helps out by playing the drums, which sound amazing. // 9

Lyrics: Thelyrics are typical Tenacious D, funny and features the F-word a lot. Beezleboss is an amazing song. it's all about a rock off btween Tenacious D and the devil (Dave Grohl). Meat Loaf is Jack Black's dad in Kickapoo, and we all know how good Meat Loaf is at singing. // 9

Overall Impression: I love it. It's my favourite album this year, and this year has had some great albums(Black Parade, Black Holes and Revelations). Beezleboss is an amazing song; It is funny, has great acoustic, great metal and Dave Grohl as the devil. POD is also great. You can listen to the whole album and enjoy it, which is vary rare. It it was stolen, I'd deck the guy who piked it. If he was to strong then I would buy it again. // 10

The Pick Of Destiny Reviewed by: John W, on november 30, 2006

Sound: Jack Black, Kyle Gass, Tenacious D, but this time around they are joined by the likes of Dave Grohl, Meatloaf and Dio. The story of the movie this is the soundtrack to is that the D must find a magical pick (the pick of destiny) which will make them famous and cool. The new Tenacious D album has more electric guitars than the last album, which some older fans may not appreciate. Personally I like the new sound, songs like Beelzeboss and The Metal are both rockin' and funny. One of my favourite songs is Classico, which is the songs Bouree, Fur Elise and a couple more which are memorable - but I can't remember them, all mixed together, with some excellent fingerpicking from KG. The opening track Kickapoo features Meatloaf as JB's father and Dio as a Dio poster. Dave Grohl drums on many tracks and features as the Devil on Beelzeboss (The Final Showdown), in which The D have a rockoff against the devil. It was quite disapointing to find there was only 30 minutes of music on this new album, but all of it is good, though if you don't really like harder rock, it would probably be better to stay away from the newer album, though some tracks are still acoustic, it's probably not enough, expecially with the small run time, to be worth buying it. // 8

Lyrics: Yet again JBs lyrics are funny and feature another f-word a lot. Classico and Master Exploder shows his great range (though in Master exploder he does show a massive range, which IS funny, but must be done by editing. If it is real then wow). The lyrics are sang very well but compared to the debut album there's probably less humour. At the end of some of the songs I believe there's little bits of dialogue from the film. If you enjoyed skits like Drive-Thru and Karate Schnitzel from the original album, you won't be very satisfied by these little bits of dialogue as they only last about 10 seconds at most. // 7

Overall Impression: Compared to the original album, I would say it is heavier, more instrumentals and there is a lot less content. The best songs on the album are probably Kickapoo (featuring Dio and Meatloaf), Classico, Master Exploder, Beelzeboss, Break In City (Storm The Gate) and The Metal. History is the old song from their HBO series which aired in around 1999, so if you heard that, there's nothing new apart from a little bit of changed lyrics, but I listened to the ending, and there's no ridiculous little girl scream near the end, which I found to be the best bit of the whole song. The Metal has a great part where the music stops and they just sing this little scat kind of vocals, which is very funny. I love the new heavier sound but I still want some more of the old skits and general funnies. If it was stolen or lost I would probably buy it again, as the new songs are really cool and you can just listen through the whole album and find it cool without skipping songs. // 8

The Pick Of Destiny Reviewed by: chris310, on december 01, 2006

Sound: Tenacious D are incredibly. First off they aren't the best musicians around, but they manage to make really good and hilarious music. The songs on the album aren't the longest you've heard either, they are short and sweet; I think the longest song is about five minutes long. They are really good song writers and some proper rocking songs which I'm sure everyone but your Grandma will love. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are the funniest lyrics ever written for a rock song. The whole album is full of very random lyrics and both Jack Black and Kyle Gass sing with very "colourful" words. Some songs from the album are found throughout the film (Tenacious D in the pick of destiny) so in someways you could call it the soundtrack of the film. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I have said before I think that Tenacious D aren't the best musicians in the world but they manage to get a crowd through they hilarious lyrics. Classico, Beelzeboss and The Pick of Destiny are just three of the best songs on the album; I like these songs because they are really funny. If anything were to happen to the CD I would buy over and over again, it's that good. // 10

The Pick Of Destiny Reviewed by: GeriatricYoungT, on november 27, 2006

Sound: For those expecting a repition of the debut album: you will be disappointed. This album is a soundtrack, 100%. It presents a storyline, the greatest storyline of all time. I fully expected to split my sides laughing during this album, but that didn't happen. Instead, I was rocked. And rolled. The rock on this album competes with some of the best songs ever made. Tenacious D have gone above and beyond just comedy rock, and have ascended to a higher plane of rocking. While still incredibly hilarious, your spine will probably be shivering too much from the sheer scale of epic in this album to appreciate the comedy. When I first heard the starting track, "Kickapoo", I sweated and felt cold and gripped my seat and when it finished, I literally screamed at my monitor. Young JB's song is more rocking than actually possible, and then bam out comes the Meatloaf, the Dio, and the epic riff. When you hear the riff, you forget what you learned in 5th grade, and those memories are replaced with large quantities of lesbian sex. Then, JB's simple "raa" parts show off his true talent. That's just the start. "Kickapoo", "Beelzeboss" and "Master Exploder" are the highlights of this album. "Beelzeboss" was my favourite, as the hilarity of Satan coupled with the sheer awesomeness of the D's rock-off and subsequent "We are The D" line gave me inspiration to Rock until the end of time. // 10

Lyrics: Clear, Hilarious, and Skillful are 3 words that describe JB's lyrics. Try not to be inspired through the entire exchange between JB and Dio. Try not to marvel at the amazing harmony between JB and KG during "History". Just try not to feel so damn rocked during "Beelzeboss" that you go outside and with one crotch-thrust, impregnate every female within 6 miles of your house. It will be impossible. The lyrics are easy to remember, because they make you want to. They're clever, funny and heart-stopping. Everyone expected the lyrics to be full of expletives and sexual acts; not many people expected them to be so awe-inspiringly clever and inspirational. // 10

Overall Impression: This album shows Tenacious D's huge amount of talent. They went and made a few songs that are better than any song most bands will ever make. "Kickapoo" and "Beelzeboss" are honestly 2 of the top 10 songs of all time. The way I felt when I heard Stairway to Heaven or Freebird? That was freaking awesome. However, neither of them compare. The only, only complaint I can think of this album is that it isn't long enough, which just means that I love it so much. I would have liked a 7-hour movie with a 7-hour soundtrack, but that's me. Just bye the damn album already. You don't know what you're missing. Even if you dislike the D, just open your mind and listen to a couple of the songs, for the rock. // 10

The Pick Of Destiny Reviewed by: KileManA7X, on november 27, 2006

Sound: I thought the sound was awesome. It wasn't all acoustic like the last one. It is very much like a rock opera. Something like Jesus Christ Superstar or Tommy. Jack Black's voice is so freakin' cool. He can do a lot of crap with it (take Master Exploder for example). Like many, my favorite song is Beezle Boss where Dave Grohl (who used to be the drummer of Nirvana and the lead singer of Foo Fighters) is the devil. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are really silly. A lot of the songs seem pointless like "The Government Totally Sucks" and "The Metal" but it's all good. Jack Black's lyrics are simple but really good. Jack Black is a crazy singer and Kage sound really good when they sing together. // 9

Overall Impression: Here's what I think about the album: 01. Kickapoo - really cool song.Sounds a lot like a rock opera. Meat Loaf sings in this too. 02. Classico - Jack Black adds lyrics to some old classical song. It's really funny. It's not even a minute long but it just shows what Jack and Kage can do in just 58 seconds. 03. Baby - my least favorite track. There are good acoustics and Jack and Kage do lots of harmonies and stuff. My favorite part is during the end when Jack cries like a baby. 04. Destiny - a very short track but one I like to listen over and over again. Another epic. 05. History - seems like an old song. It's about the history of Tenacious D which is nonsense but still sounds decent. 06. The Goverment Totally Sucks - This song has one of the best set of lyrics on the whole CD. My favorite part is at the end when Jack says "Yeah, it was great, compared to bullshit!" My second favorite track on the album. Jack Black's voice sounds a lot like it did on School of rock. Kage has an awesome solo during the end (at least I think it's Kage). The solo is electric and is in like 3 different octaves. All rock should be like this song. 08. The Divide - not really a song but gets the story moving along. 09. He's My Sassafrass - hilarious song. It's really demented in the beginning like Monty Phython but during the end, it turns into a rock epic. Awesome. 10. Dude - an alright song. Sounds a lot like Baby but is so much better. Great solo. 11. Break In City - a great rocker. A head banger. Pretty much all I can say. 12. Car Chase City - even better than the last song. My third favorite. 13. Beezle Boss - my favorite on the album. This is where Jack and Kage and Grohl have a rock battle. This is where all you have just listened to becomes crap and this is real music. Very theatrical too. Obviously, Kage and Jables win and the devil goes back to hell. Still an unbelivable song. Once you start listening, you can't turn it off. 14. POD - this songs kicks ass. See the music video and you'll agree. 15. The Metal - a dumb song. Has nothing to do with the album but is ok. Overall I'd give it an 8/10 which is like a B plus. Beezle Boss is totally worth the price. This CD is original and dosn't really sound like anything else. If this were stolen or lost I would buy it again. // 8

The Pick Of Destiny Reviewed by: pojo666, on november 30, 2006

Sound: Right, Tenacious D's new album, is not what I expected. But don't get me wrong, I don't mean it in a bad way. It's just that, it's not a D-esque as I would have thought. But it still rocks your socks off. I feel that we get a softer side of Black And Gass, in songs such as Baby and Dude (I totally miss you). They are the more quieter ones, but not in a FHG kind of way. You also get to hear the musical talents of Ronnie James Dio, Meatloaf, Dave Ghrol, Lyam Lynch, John Spiker, John Konesky and John King. Again, Black and Gass wrote all the songs, with the help of Lynch, King and Spiker. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on the new album are quite adventurous, but relate heavily to the film. a lot of people have seemed to think that these are random songs, put in any order, but this is the order they come on the film. The songs, in order: 01. Kickapoo - this is a great song, both to start the albuma nd the film, it introduces the story, and it has meatloaf and Dio on it, so it's got to be good. 02. Classico - even tho half the song is filled with Blacks well known skat lyrics, you here that he idolises Gass "cant you see he's the man, let me here you applaud, he is more than a man, he's a shiney golden god" In the film, this links in as it's just after he met Gass on venice beach. 03. Baby - it took me a while to get used to the light accoustic of this song, but it shows the more emotional (not emo) side of Black, missing his mother. 04. Destiny - the main bit of this song, is from the HBO shorts and they have put it in as a kind of side track, which they done on the original album. 05. History - written for the shorts on HBO, again, has been braught back, as it was not on the self titled album. This says how Tenacious D have become kings among rock men, and also how supreme they are. 06. The Government Totally Sucks - it's funny as it takes the piss out of governments, but the lyrics of it I don't think work too well. It is too random. But there is a cool slow bit in the end, which pulls on the heart strings. 07. Master Exploder - the song is amazing, as it shows off Blacks awesome vocal's and Gass's expert guitar playing. The lyrics come just after they find the pick of destiny. 08. The Divide - like "Inward SInging" on the first album, it shows how Gass leaves the band for somthing stupid, just not as funny. Nothing too good here. 09. Papagenu (He's My Sassafrass) - this is probably the most f--ked up song on the album, It's when Black gets stoned and starts hallucinating, and finds the sasquatch, (HBO shorts again) but a little more in depth on the film, but the lyrics don't make sense ans it's random, tho Black does state this in the epic bit at the end. 10. Dude (I Totally Miss You) - I personally don't like this song, it's too depressing, and it doesnt't suit Blacks Vioce, the lyrics arnt that cool either, the only upside is the cool Accoustic solo/power solo but it's ruined by Black moaning in the background. 11. Break In-city (Storm The Gate) - a fast and furious song about breking into a mansion and stealing stuff. The lyrics are basically a narrative of what Black is doing at the time. 12. Car Chase City - a lot like Break In-City (Storm The Gate) it's very narrative based. Good riffs and lyric though. 13. Beelzeboss (The Final Showdown) - lyrically the best, as it's an immense broth of hard rock, accoustic and power metal lyrics and riffs, with a big side order of Dave Ghrol, who strains his voice to an extrme to create a hellish devilness of evil. 14 POD - the song about the film, it is The Pick Of Destiny, tho the song does go on about being in a movie, but it does tell you how the pick of destiny was made (the pick being the devils tooth). 15. The Metal - sounds great on vinyl, but not so good on CD, for some reason. But it is just a piss around song, nothing special, lyrics about how nothing can defeat metal. Overall it is a good album, with a couple of flaws. // 8

Overall Impression: It does not compare to othe other album that Tenacious D done, as it is a soundtrack really, not album based music, but film. Which is good in a different way. The best song is definatly Beelzeboss, as it's lyrically the best and musically the best. The songs are great, almost, but that's standard for albums like this. I have the album on my comp, so it would bother me too much. Overall, I find I can listen to it for a while, but it does get boring. // 9

The Pick Of Destiny Reviewed by: watisthechord?, on january 17, 2007

Sound: You may of allready heard the debut of Tenacious D and made up your mind about them. One-hit jerks who aren't very funny. They are idiots who play simple songs on acoustics. I was thinking excatly this during the first 25 mins of their gig in Birgmingham. However this time they have electric solos (not supplied by K.G though) and killer drum riffs. // 8

Lyrics: Jack Black has n ability to add a layer of idiocy into what ever he sings. However for this rare occasion he sings with power (not just on Master Exploder) and with grace on songs like "Kickapoo", "Dude (I Totally Miss You)" and "Classico". The duo's writing skills are built on always saying each others name when they are unsure of what to write. If you need help on the strength of your voice listen and sing with Jables. // 9

Overall Impression: If you have seen the movie and were dissapointed by the songs it wouldn't be the best idea to buy this album. If, like me, you are not yet young enough to sneak into the showing of this film, this album is a very good idea to spend your 10 HMV voucher you got for Xmas. If you prefer the acostic, comical side of "The D" then buy the first album. But this album is better. Way better. // 10

The Pick Of Destiny Reviewed by: oh... THAT guy, on february 28, 2007

Sound: I got this album the day it came out, and as soon as I was home I immediately played it. I have been a long-time fan of the D but I didn't really like this one too much, the songs seemed a bit wierd, some bits didn't really seem very D-ish. But as soon as I saw the film, all the pieces fell into place and all the songs clicked together. Ones like Dude (I Toally Miss You) seemed a bit gay, but once I knew where it came up in the film suddenly it lost that strangness, and the theme odf the album is much clearer now. It is much shorter than the debut, but of course they had to cram it into a 90 minute film, and they couldnt really have 60 minutes of music in it, (with the obvious exception of the government totally sucks, the metal, POD, although it does play through the credits). // 9

Lyrics: Well as I say, the lyrics seemed a bit wierd, because of it being a soundtrack and without seeing the movie it's not that good. But Jack's voice is still perfect, changed a little, and there is a bit more contribution from Kyle. Songs like Beelzeboss are instantly recognisable, because it has that distinctive sound, more from kyla and a cameo from Satan himself (Dave Grohl, numbnuts). But the best lyric song without seeing the movie is Kickapoo, just because nothings been going on in the movie, so it's just starting from scatch. Oh yeah, it's a f--king good song. // 10

Overall Impression: This album blows me away now, most of it is pretty high on my iTunes playcount, the most impressive songs are beelzeboss, Kickapoo, Car chase city & break in city (but once you get into them and see the movie) master Exploder, POD, and hell, the whole album. I do have two copies of this album (its not that wierd, my friend has 3) 3-D & Deluxe, and that's how highly I think of this album. A Great follow-up to Tenacious D. // 10

The Pick Of Destiny Reviewed by: stephenrock101, on june 19, 2007

Sound: The band don't take themselves too seriously and this shows in their albums. Some of their songs don't make much sense unless you have seen the movie 'The Pick Of Destiny' but if you have seen the movie the album makes much more sense. The song 'Master Exploder' is probably the best song on the album whether you saw the movie or not. It has a very origional and fresh sound to it. Singer Jack Black's vocals are mind-blowing at times in this album, such as in 'Classico' or 'Master Exploder'. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics in the album basically describe what happened in the formation of the band and the story of the movie. It's almost as if you are watching the film itself when you listen to the album. This album isn't worth buying unless you've seen the movie because none of the lyrics make any sense. 'Beezleboss' is a good example. It's basically about how jack and kyle defeat satan in a rock off and the song works much better if you understand what is happening in it. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall I enjoyed listening to the album and I thought some songs were amazing, such as master exploder and classico and others were very dull such as 'Car Chase City'. Kyle produces some outstanding guitar solos and catchy riffs throughout the album which together with Jack's vocals creates a unique and worthwhile listening experience. // 8

The Pick Of Destiny Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 01, 2008

Sound: This Album/Film Soundtrack is one of the best albums I've ever heard. If you've never heard of these two guys, go watch all 6 HBO episodes, get the first album, buy the complete Masterworks, see the film and then buy this album. Kyle Gass is one of the best guitarists around, and should be acknowledged more for being so. While some tracks are just acoustic, for example, "Baby" and "History" (a song from HBO) they are still as good as tracks such as "Kickapoo", "Break-In City" or "The Metal" (a song any guitar Hero player will know) which feature a full band. What more can I say? The sound this album makes is not just comedy, but also great rock. // 10

Lyrics: Once again, Jack Black delivers some powerful vocals on songs such as "Master Exploder" and "Car Chase City", and Kyle's an unrecognised singer too. The incredible duo's singing combined with Dace Grohl (Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Queens of the Stone Age, etc.) for the climax of the film makes for my favourite song on the album, "Beelzeboss (The Final Showdown)." You can also expect the same comedic lines you heard on the bands self-named first album, but more emphasis on a story on this album. Overall, JB's vocals are going to blow your mind. // 10

Overall Impression: I'd say it surpasses the bands first album, but needs to be much longer (15 tracks). The most impressive songs on the album, are the whole thing. I love how it fuses raw comedy with a great tale and some great guitar Shreds from Black, Gass, and John Konesky. If it was stolen or lost, I'd buy 7 more, one for each day of the week. // 10

The Pick Of Destiny Reviewed by: mqsand2112, on september 22, 2008

Sound: The D's sound in this album just flows so well. Kyles acoustic mastery almost merges with Jack Black's voice in songs like Classico, History, and The Government Totally Sucks. While in a lot of other songs the sound is just epic, and it hardly ever falters. In some of the songs the sound changes(very rapidly) from one style of music to another. This keeps listeners ready to see what the next part of the song will be like. Although in Papagenu (He's my Sassafrass)the yelling in the begining can be annoying if you have seen the movie then yo'll know what it's about. All in all the sound was mind blowing. // 10

Lyrics: I'm going to be honest the lyrics weren't that deep, but hey they don't have to be because the hilariousness of the songs make up for that. And the lyrics weren't pointless either. They were sraightforward and made sense, mostly. The way Jables sings is just crazy, he takes it to a whole other level above singing. He will match pitch to KG's guitar so well. The lyrics were pretty good, and they reflect they bands struggle to obtain the POD. // 9

Overall Impression: The overall impression of the album was almost to much to handle. And in comparison to other bands it's kind of hard because Tenacious D has really interesting riff's and solos. I have heard some people say te D is a Tribute to Dio, and I could see that, but you can't really say which is better cause they are both f--king amazing. The best song in my opinion would be Beelzeboss (The Final Showdown). I love how this album is almost like a musical in that the songs are connected by a big story. Yes indeed this album was a natural face melter. // 10

More Tenacious D reviews rating latest review