Into The Now Review

tesla: Into The Now
Released: Mar 9, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Hard Rock, Pop-Metal
For the most part, Into the Now is a prototypical Tesla album: heavy, melodic, focused, and ? when in doubt ? understated.
 8.6
 7.1
Into The Now Reviewed by: rob_acoustic, on march 01, 2005

Sound: Tesla's first album of new material in ten years. They haven't lost a step. They make this album sound fresh without sounding too old for their ages. All in their late '30s and '40s now this band, which is still intact as original members, keeps its sound very clean and very good. It isn't reinventful at all, but it is very good. They use your basic guitar, bass, drums, vocals. They use some nice effects on the guitar also. Very neat and good. It sounds like a early '90s rock record for the most part but isn't retro. It is new and fresh sounding, which is very bright to the ear. I love the classic sound here. This album specifically shows what a true rock n' roll album is. The sound and music are very very good. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics, sound, what else you need? I guess vocals. I swear Jeff Keith hasn't lost his voice from the top 10 hit "Love Song" and "Signs." His voice sounds better in my opinion. Live I don't know for sure. The lyrics go from a personal direction to a general direction. Soft ballads to your "this is it" songs. The lyrics are deep but not a "November Rain" deep song. Deep enough to the least. The lyrics bounce very nicely with the beats of the drums and guitar. The consistent singing, and songs are very tight and very right. // 10

Overall Impression: This is their best album. I'm not a huge Tesla fan, but I do own a couple of cds. I've heard their greatest hits of "best of" actually and it tops it off. It makes "Great Radio Controversy" look like a mediocre album. This album has everything a rock fan wants. The softer meaningful songs are "Come To Me" and "Only You." "Caught Up In A Dream" was the breakout single that got some attention. This album is a gem that is not seen. It lacked promotion. It also contains a song called "Miles Away" which gives off a Metallica style rock to it. This album needs to credit is deserves. I erge anyone to get this record. I think it is the ideal rock record up there with Appetite For Destruction and Zoso. Tesla, the electric is still there, trust me. I'll always have this album. // 10

Into The Now Reviewed by: skeeter510mn, on january 04, 2006

Sound: I am finally beginning to realize how amazing Tesla is as a band. "Into The Now" is a showcase for their best work yet. Although all members are well past 35, the music itself does not display lack of energy. Being the first album in ten years, and with all of the original members, Tesla continues on with more maturity in their writing and style, however, that doesn't mean they are "alternative" and "boring." They are straight up rock n' roll! There sound is nothing too new and original, yet, the songs themselves are better than ever with a few fresh twists. At times the record seemed over-produced to me, but then again, I prefer the untamed "garage band" sound at times. // 10

Lyrics: Being Tesla, you expect a fair number of ballads, and this holds true with "Into the Now." Although Tesla was unfairly clumped into the garbage pile that is "hair metal," they display some attributes, such as power ballads, that help to explain why. I'm not complaining however, the ballads are the best part about Tesla, thanks in great part to the emotionally powerful vocals of Jeff Kieth. Also being one of the chief songwriters, Jeff Kieth portrays his feelings about the issues expressed in the songs wonderfully. With a Steven Tyler like rasp, he makes you feel the emotions behind every song. The lyrics themselves are well written, with a good variety of themes, ranging from "Mighty Mouse," to my personal favorite, "Only You," which also shows Kieth's true capabillities as a singer. // 10

Overall Impression: This is by far the best album by one of the most underappreciated bands of the last century. If you are a fan of Tesla, or rock music in general, you will absolutely love this album. The introduction track, "Into the Now," is a great pump-it-up type song that encompasses Frank Hannon and Tommy Skeotch's true talents as dueling guitarists. They are one of my favorite guitar duos. As previously mentioned, Jeff Kieth shines through gloriously on vocals throughout the entire CD. One of my favorite tracks is "Miles Away." I know it is a commonly used name and theme, yet this is no common track. It dislplays a wide variety of styles all in one song with contradicting slow and melodic to fast and metallic. This album is truly one that every headbanger should have in their collection. // 10

More Tesla reviews rating latest review
+ Simplicity 8 06/17/2014