Souls Of Black Review

9.3
 9.6
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Souls Of Black Reviewed by: iommi600, on february 13, 2012

Sound: "Souls Of Black" is the fourth album by thrash metal legends Testament, released in 1990. Well, to be honest, I really think Testament never failed to make a good album. But to me, this is their finest hour. Alex Skolnick is one of the best thrash metal guitarists ever, if not the best. His technical skills are really great, and he sure thing know how to ally his technique to his feeling to make mindblowing solos. Not to mention second guitarist Eric Peterson, which is also very tallented (I would point the intro "Beginning Of The End" as a good example of his technical skills). Also, Greg Christian's bass lines are pretty solid, and they're really brilliant at some points, like in "The Legacy" or the title-track. Louie Clemente is a competent drummer as well. In short, this is a band full of very talented musicians that really knows how to use their musicianship to make a great record. Oh, I did not mentioned the riffs, did I? They're insane. Like in "Malpractice" or "Face In The Sky". This is a thrash gem, made by a band that I think sometimes is pretty underrated. // 9

Lyrics: Overall, the lyrics on this album talks about some philosophical things, like in "Falling Fast" and "The Legacy" (sometimes, this kind of lyrics on this album reminds me of some lyrics written by Chuck Schuldiner), talking about pain and woe, apparently. But there's also some great lyrics here criticising the systems of government, like "Malpractice", the title-track and "Seven Days Of May", and in my opinion these songs are the highlight of the album when it comes to lyrics. And well, what can we really say about Chuck Billy's vocals? This guy is arguably one of the best thrash metal vocalists ever. Remember when I said the whole band is very talented? Well, that includes him too. He's got something that many thrash metal singers don't: he can sing both in a clean tone (clean at all) and in thrash metal's roars (sometimes doing some amazing gutturals, but that's kinda rare here, you will hear them more in albums like "Demonic" and "The Gathering") and sound equally awesome. I mean, I really admire many thrash metal vocalists, but many of them can't do this. Chuck Billy is versatile and awesome. // 9

Overall Impression: Well, this is it. There's nothing more to be said about this. This album is just a masterpiece, made by a very creative and talented band. This is a must have for any thrash metal fan. And I would say not only this album, but at least their first four albums. They are thrash metal essentials. But like I said before, get a grip on their whole discography if you can. In my opinion, they have never released a bad album. Let's say that they never lost their "essence". I would point "Face In The Sky", the title-track and "Malpractice" as the best ones here, but honestly, I think the whole album is at least above average. Truly amazing. I will sure thing buy this again if I lose it or if someone steals it from me. // 9

More Testament reviews rating latest review
+ Dark Roots Of Earth 8.6 07/30/2012