The Gathering Review

testament: The Gathering
Release Date: Jun 8, 1999
Label: Spitfire
Genres: Hard Rock, Thrash, Speed Metal, Heavy Metal
Testament will be unconquerable if they can maintain this line-up, but for the time being, The Gathering serves to quench anyone's parched metal thirst.
 8.7
 8.3
review (1) 8 comments vote for this album:
The Gathering Reviewed by: Gopher636, on april 01, 2006

Sound: This and 'The Legacy' are the testament albums I have, and they both rule. This is their most different, but not in a bad way. How is it different, you ask? Well, think back, thrash veterans, to when Mr. Lombardo left Slayer. Dave here is on this album, and Testament's vocalist, Chuck billy is doing death metal vocals, combined with his unique snarl-kinda thing hes got goin on. This is heavier then older Testament, and faster too. Dave's drumming really picks up the pace of every song (not that its exactly 'Slow', per se), the double kick is mixed in real good. Some songs have kickass bass (riding the snake comes to mind, as does eyes of wrath) the song with the best riffage is definatly the opener, DNR, after a slow, orchestra intro. Very class album. // 9

Lyrics: Can't say too much, there's nothing groundbreaking about them. Typical metal stuff. The apocolypse, dead people, etc. Some stuff is good, others is just 'meh'. // 7

Overall Impression: This is one of the two testament albums I have, and I love it. Not as good as 'The Legacy', but close. The drumming in it is unbelievable, and everything goes together to form a great thrash album. My favorite songs are DNR, 3 Days In Darkness, Legions Of The Dead, Allegiance, and Fall Of Sipldome. If I lost it, id probably just steal my brother's, as he as a burnt copy of it. But yeah, I'd buy it again. It's pretty good stuff. // 9

More Testament reviews rating latest review
+ Dark Roots Of Earth 8.6 07/30/2012