The Legacy Review

testament: The Legacy
Release Date: 1987
Label: Atlantic
Genres: Hard Rock, Thrash, Heavy Metal, Speed Metal
The Legacy is a relentlessly heavy and promising effort focusing on such subjects as the occult, witchcraft, nuclear war, and global destruction.
 9.2
 9.5
 8.8
The Legacy Reviewed by: Rattlehead666, on november 02, 2005

Sound: This is the debut album to me what is one of the greatest thrash metal bands of all time, Testament. I like them way better than Metallica seeing I think that Metallica kinda lost it after ...And Justice For All but I think it is due to the death of Cliff Burton. Anyways this is a great album and ill tell you why. It's because it has my favorite song by them on it which is Over The Wall. That song is a masterpiece. I also like The Haunting. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics rock. Man there so evil and about death which I like when it has to do with lyrics in music. I think Chuck Billy is one of the greatest vocalists who have ever lived. // 10

Overall Impression: Testament has to be one of the best thrash metal bands of all time. They are one of my afvorite bands of all time also. I can't get over how great Over The Wall is. Also the same for every other song. I love the album art in the album with the cool skull thingy. I also like The Haunting where the verses remind me of the song Liar by Megadeth which is also a good song. If I lost this this CD I would like break down or sumtim then I would find it, eventually. // 10

The Legacy Reviewed by: idpmofo, on april 02, 2008

Sound: The sound quality is somewhat poor, but the music shines thru. From the opening track "Over The Wall", you can tell you're in for a treat. Skolnick's work on this album is some of his best. From the intros and riffs on "Burnt Offerings" & "The Haunting" to one of his best solos "First Strike Is Deadly" (which really shines when he plays it on their First Strike Still Deadly CD), it's an impressive CD with plenty of highlights. This album combines great thrash metal rhythms with a musically intelligent arrangement. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics range from somewhat cheesy ("Do Or Die" chorus) to descriptively dark and gothic with a occult theme. Steve Souza wrote most of the lyrics, but Chuck Billy's vocals carry them well. His voice is strong enough to front a thrash band, yet his vocals are clean enough to clearly be understood. // 8

Overall Impression: This album would be great at any point in a band's career, but considering this is their debut makes it even more impressive. Songs are full of classic thrash metal riffs. This is a guitar playing website and Alex Skolnick's work on this CD is fast, beautiful and sick. Appregio-filled solos and great leads over Eric Peterson hard-hitting rhythms. This is a must-have CD for any metal guitarist. I'd compare this to Ride The Lightning with a young Marty Friedman. // 10

More Testament reviews rating latest review
+ Dark Roots Of Earth 8.6 07/30/2012