The New Order Review

testament: The New Order
Released: 1988
Label: Megaforce
Genres: Hard Rock, Thrash, Heavy Metal, Speed Metal
Order is every bit as brutally forceful as The Legacy, but the songs are even more memorable.
 Lyrics: 8.5
 9.3
 9.6
The New Order Reviewed by: megakyle, on october 01, 2005

Sound: This album has an amazing, do to Alex Skolnick's lead guitar, he makes the album what it is in my opinion. Alex Skolnick = Kirk Hammett with ten times more shred and much more variation, and amazing lead work. There is a lot of clean/acoustic stuff with lead that will keep you begging for more. Also a lot of eerie tracks. The quality of this album isn't the best, but the music more than makes up for it. This isn't just stereotypical metal, testament throws in a lot of different beats, that will make you bang your head, well worth your time. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics weren't extremely impressive to me, though they are fitting with all the songs, which is a plus. Chuck Billy (vocalist) has a unique style and can sing in many different ways. Sings clean, can throw in the growl, and sing with a powerful deep voice. // 8

Overall Impression: When I first heard of Testament I heard they were comparable to Metallica, I have now come to the conclusion that they blow Metallica out of the water, and a much more creative. The most classic tracks being "Trial By Fire," "The Preacher," "Musical Death." I love that there is so much variety to the album, a couple instrumentals that blow my mind, some creepy clean stuff, and some headbang worthy thrash tracks. If it were stolen or lost I would definately by this again, it's well worth the money. // 10

The New Order Reviewed by: (...), on june 22, 2007

Sound: Testament's sound is actually quite mature on their second ever album, The New Order. Well not as fast as their debut, they know who they are, and they convey that well. The music itself, especially the intros, is eerie sometimes, giving the music character. The riffs are perfect thrash, and guitarist Alex Skolnick knows how to write good music. His work on "Musical Death (A Dirge)" is amazing. Their instrumental "Hypnosis" is eerie, interesting, and a good lead into a Testament classic, "Disciples of the Watch." This song as many good riffs. The music on this album to me is eerie, fast, and most importantly, aggressive. The only thing that holds the song back is a lack of hooks; there aren't really much catchy parts. // 9

Lyrics: I really have to give Chuck Billy (lead vocals) props for some of these lyrics. While he did not write them all, he did write a lot of them. The lyrics are well thought out, and Billy's voice adds a nice touch to them. He is greatly inspired by James Hetfield, although he isn't a rip off; he is his own person. The riffs seems to fit hand-in-hand with the vocals. He could be better, but he is still great. // 9

Overall Impression: If you love Exodus, Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Ulysses Siren, or any '80s thrash, this is a great album to buy. "The Preacher," "Disciples of the Watch," "Trial By Fire," "Nobody's Fault," and the closing instrumental "Musical Death (A Dirge)" are all standout tracks. This album is a little bit of a "grower" but you will love it. The riffs, vocals, lyrics, and just plain skill of Testament make "The New Order" amazing. Go out and buy it! // 9

More Testament reviews rating latest review
+ Dark Roots Of Earth 8.6 07/30/2012