The 1975 Review

the 1975: The 1975
Released: Sep 2, 2013
Genre: Indie Rock, Indie Pop, Electronica, New Wave
Label: Dirty Hit, Polydor
It is the self-titled debut album by English indie rock band The 1975.
 9.2
 9.3
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
The 1975 Reviewed by: kristina.annabe, on july 10, 2014

Sound: Unlike many debut albums The 1975 took UK's heart and made it to the 1st place on the Official Albums Chart. They also made it to the top 10 on the iTunes chart. HUGE! The album was released September 2nd, 2013 and now they are taking the world with them. I wish I could rip Matthew Healy's words out by saying "it's an ambitious debut record." He also mentioned it was personal and all about their true style, but where is this going really?

From a scale of 1 to 10, I don't know where to put my point. First of all, yes, it seems like all the songs have been produced so carefully that every single track could be a hit song. With the basics as guitar, drums and bass but also some help from the computer to put the album on its right place. All the way from the single "Sex" which is more a rock version of their work to the more emotional "Is There Somebody Who Can Watch You," I want to say there are original songs; but the only thing holding me back is some rip off Radiohead. The band has already mentioned that the next album will be inspired by Radiohead, but honestly; I think this debut already have some Radiohead evolving style in it. // 9

Lyrics: Not to mention, the record is a true mix of sad but more appreciated rock songs. The lyrics as well as the melody (as I mentioned earlier) is carefully thought through every single note. When Matthew hits every note so perfectly I can honestly guarantee to every single indie-lovers in this whole universe: you will not be skipping any tracks on this album. It seems like his voice have been cracked up by a lot of drugs, but luckily turned out to this beautiful bird (in a metaphoric way.) Despite the Radiohead rip off: I admire The 1975 for putting this work of art into a collection of deeply sound of affection. // 10

Overall Impression: Personally, when I set the CD in my player I will not leave out any of the tracks. I enjoy them all as one. Matthew commented: "I think the best albums are ones where every track could be a potential single. Both our EP’s center around a lead track whilst showcasing a wider body of work, whereas we feel the album is lead track after lead track, with all the alternative moments captured in an accessible way (…)" and I can surely say that they have not failed their purpose. The fact that Radiohead is a musical hero of theirs, it will be bothered and seen as "stealing their style." All we can root for now is that their next album may be able to meet our expectations nearly as high as we are sure of at this moment; because honestly with this good impression of a debut album how is the next one going to be with even more experience? Let's just hope that the world will be able handle it and that the Radiohead fans will try to appreciate them too. // 9

Comments