The 1975 Review

the 1975: The 1975
Released: Sep 2, 2013
Genre: Indie Rock, Indie Pop, Electronica, New Wave
Label: Dirty Hit, Polydor
It is the self-titled debut album by English indie rock band The 1975.
The 1975 Reviewed by: sepultura71, on december 19, 2014

Sound: Great album, was thoroughly surprised at how good it actually was. I bought it after hearing "The City" on the FIFA 2014 soundtrack soon after the game's release - and love pretty much every (proper) track. The only exception being "Talk" which just didn't do it for me. The guitars, bass and drums are almost simplistic in sound but create a really nice, layered atmosphere and this works very well - especially the use of the synth pad in place of drums in some parts.

As a guitarist, I am a fan of their guitar work.  I tend to play a lot of loud, rock and heavy metal, whereas the guitar parts throughout this album are simple and effective.  It has made me wish that I focused more on this side of guitar playing when I first started out - instead of diving straight into the heavy stuff. I actually find it difficult to come up with material in this style - which really put my overall ability into an new perspective. // 9

Lyrics: Overall, the lyrical themes, word play and delivery really appealed to me - as well as the language used and juxtaposition of harsh themes of sex, drugs, morals and other social/awkward situations combined with happy/upbeat music in some songs. The fact that a lot of them are derived from the band member's own experiences - and that they are also British and use a lot of typical British slurs, northern accents and colloquial language is a nice touch. As a vocalist, Matt Healey nails it. I much prefer his style to a lot of the harsh metal styles I listen to. // 10

Overall Impression: Still being a fan of hard rock/metal genres (as well as a lot of chart hits), this is one of the first "different" albums I have specifically ventured out to buy - as opposed to downloading a few tracks from iTunes or borrowing from a friend (spending 4 years as a student doesn't allow much for spending on CDs).

The main appeal was that it was different to most things I had heard - although the songs and styles employed could be compared to similar ones from Coldplay and other indie-sounding bands and The 1975 could almost be labelled as a pop band in my opinion (not that that is a bad thing). However, their songs stand out to me more than the likes of Coldplay etc...

For me, the best songs from the album are: "The City," "Sex," "Girls," "Menswear," "She Way Out," "Heart Out," "Chocolate," "Settle Down" and "Robbers." Pretty much all of them. However, "M.O.N.E.Y." and "Pressure" are good too, just not as strong as the rest. Talk is the only song I actually skip - every album has one, and this is it. Could not think of a bad thing to say about the album as a whole except maybe the interlude songs - "An Encounter" and "12" - although they create a decent ambience, some other unreleased material could have been put in - such as "Milk" or "Antichrist." But I suppose that's what the Deluxe Editions are for. Would highly recommend. // 10

The 1975 Reviewed by: kristina.annabe, on july 10, 2014

Sound: Unlike many debut albums The 1975 took UK's heart and made it to the 1st place on the Official Albums Chart. They also made it to the top 10 on the iTunes chart. HUGE! The album was released September 2nd, 2013 and now they are taking the world with them. I wish I could rip Matthew Healy's words out by saying "it's an ambitious debut record." He also mentioned it was personal and all about their true style, but where is this going really?

From a scale of 1 to 10, I don't know where to put my point. First of all, yes, it seems like all the songs have been produced so carefully that every single track could be a hit song. With the basics as guitar, drums and bass but also some help from the computer to put the album on its right place. All the way from the single "Sex" which is more a rock version of their work to the more emotional "Is There Somebody Who Can Watch You," I want to say there are original songs; but the only thing holding me back is some rip off Radiohead. The band has already mentioned that the next album will be inspired by Radiohead, but honestly; I think this debut already have some Radiohead evolving style in it. // 9

Lyrics: Not to mention, the record is a true mix of sad but more appreciated rock songs. The lyrics as well as the melody (as I mentioned earlier) is carefully thought through every single note. When Matthew hits every note so perfectly I can honestly guarantee to every single indie-lovers in this whole universe: you will not be skipping any tracks on this album. It seems like his voice have been cracked up by a lot of drugs, but luckily turned out to this beautiful bird (in a metaphoric way.) Despite the Radiohead rip off: I admire The 1975 for putting this work of art into a collection of deeply sound of affection. // 10

Overall Impression: Personally, when I set the CD in my player I will not leave out any of the tracks. I enjoy them all as one. Matthew commented: "I think the best albums are ones where every track could be a potential single. Both our EP’s center around a lead track whilst showcasing a wider body of work, whereas we feel the album is lead track after lead track, with all the alternative moments captured in an accessible way (…)" and I can surely say that they have not failed their purpose. The fact that Radiohead is a musical hero of theirs, it will be bothered and seen as "stealing their style." All we can root for now is that their next album may be able to meet our expectations nearly as high as we are sure of at this moment; because honestly with this good impression of a debut album how is the next one going to be with even more experience? Let's just hope that the world will be able handle it and that the Radiohead fans will try to appreciate them too. // 9