Santi Review

the academy is: Santi
Release Date: Apr 3, 2007
Label: Fueled by Ramen
Genres: Indie Rock, Emo
An enjoyable next step for the Academy Is..., this album shows that the guys are still growing, but maybe just starting to figure themselves out.
 8.2
 7.9
 8.5
Santi Reviewed by: oh_you_freak, on april 13, 2007

Sound: I've been a huge fan of The Academy Is... ever since Almost Here (TAI's debut album), but I can't say that I've had the pleasure of knowing of them back when they were called The Academy. TAI's signature sound to me is a lot different from Almost Here to Santi. It was not really the type of album I expected from them, but of course it didn't disappoint me. I love Santi and I think it is a great album, but I have to admit I liked Almost Here better. William Beckett (vocalist) has an amazing voice and makes all the songs from the album sound great. // 5

Lyrics: The lyrics, like in Almost Here, are really powerful and reveal a lot of William Beckett's (the lyricist and main vocalist) inner thoughts and feelings. The lyrics match the music perfectly; especially in "Everything We Had". I love this song because it is so emotional and Beckett sings it so wonderfully. // 5

Overall Impression: This is definately one of my favorite albums and ever since it came out, I have been listening to it nonstop! My favorite songs are "We've Got A Big Mess On Our Hands", "Everything We Had", and "Neighbors". I think "Neighbors" is close to the original sound of the band from Almost Here. "We've Got a Big Mess on Our Hands" is very catchy and it's almost impossible to not get this song stuck in your head after listening to it! If I lost or broke this CD, it would be worth every penny to buy it back (over and over again). Overall, this is a great album and I'd definately recommend it to big alternative fans. // 5

Santi Reviewed by: shoeskate05, on april 20, 2007

Sound: On TAI's new album "Santi" the band definetly ventures into new territory. The sound is a lot different from their debut album "Almost Here." Although it's different, the band still manages to deliver catchy hooks and riffs throughout the album. Michael Carden and Michael Guy Chislett are an awesome guitar duo; one guitarist always compliments the other in order to produce one sound, it doesn't seem like too much guitar, which is good. I must admit "Santi" seems "overproduced" in a way, the producer Butch Walker seems to add unnecessary instruments such as violin or piano in some songs. The album has it's moments and it's flaws, but overall TAI puts out another solid album, lets just hope that they go back to their original roots for the third album. Tracks to listen to: "Same Blood," "We've Got A Big Mess On Our Hands," and "Seed." // 8

Lyrics: If there's one thing that makes this album ten times better, it's William Beckett amazing singing talent. This time around, Beckett really takes new turns in his voice, giving each song an extra push just to make them that much better. On the opening track "Same Blood" Beckett goes high and low throughout his verse, finally delivering an mellow but powerful chorus. What's also great about his singing, is what he actually sings about. Beckett continues to speak about real issues in his life, and how he's dealing with them. At times, it seems as though he's addressing the listener, as in the song Lifetime: "It's been a lifetime, a lifetime we waited for. A simple question, kid, 'Are you with me or not at all?'" If you buy the album, the album sleeve has all of Beckett's lyrics, it's real surprising to see the things he writes about. The lyrics really compliment each song, making the album flow more smoothly and better. Just like "Almost Here," "Santi" is another great example of Beckett's great vocal and writing skills. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I'd have to admit that "Almost Here" was a better album, but that doesn't mean I'm saying "Santi" is any good. I believe that with time and a more thorough listening to "Santi" you can really appreciate what TAI is doing. The guitarists, bassist, and drummer are all talented musicians that bring a great sound, and with Beckett it all comes together beautifully. The best track I believe would be "Same Blood," but there are others equally good in comparison. I did buy the Special Edition CD which was exclusively released only in Target, but if someone stole it, I'd probably just burn it instead of going back to buy it. The CD is good enough for one legal purchase only. The only thing I regret about TAI is that they are on the same label as Fall Out Boy and Gym Class Heroes, those bands don't even come close to the talent of TAI, it's really a shame how the music industry works. // 9

Santi Reviewed by: Dobbsie, on november 23, 2010

Sound: I've been a fan of The Academy Is... For quite some time now I only really took notice of them when "Almost Here" came out. Over the years the band have proved how their sound be developed, thrown around, mixed up etc. Whatever! Either way, they sound like they're experimenting all the time which is a good thing I think! I bought this CD when I was camping with my family, I was bored of the collection of Foo Fighters, Nickelback and Alter Bridge in my Dad's car so we went to a local CD shop and I picked this up! Like everyone's said it's definately a different sound from their previous debut. A lot of people weren't all that pleased as I understand that people enjoyed "Almost Here" a lot more. Personally, I think "Santi" is merely a development from the previous sound of "Almost Here". It's a lot more what people like to call a "mature" sound; it was almost verging on Rock and Indie rather than Rock/Pop/Indie/Emo or whatever which I thought was a bit better. When it comes to instruments, I'd say the guitarist had a lot more fun in this album; there seems to be a lot more riffing on the guitars and melody parts that acompany William Beckett's great vocals. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrically it's equally as affective as the previous album. There's not too much a catch, just some musicians talking about their lifestye with the acception of "Everything We Had" which plays as that song that a lot of bands might have based about love. I don't get the whole concept, but sounds like the idea of a break up and someone moving on in life, but I supposed this could be in relation with more than just a breakup if you think about it! It's a graet song, a nice little tune, there wasn't a song like this included in the previous which is great because it reinforces that idea of deveopment and progression I suppose! William's is as always brilliant; it seems that he has explored more of his vocal range with the song "You Might Noticed" as good evidence! // 9

Overall Impression: In my opinion I like this sound and I think it's a good progression from the also very good sound of "Almost Here". Some great songs?: 01. Same Blood - This is a great introducing track for the album; it's almost a song that shows what the band are all about in this album. This song made me feel comfortable about listening through the album! 02. LAX' To O'Hare - This is probably my favourite song off the album, it's a shame it wasn't a single really. This is a perfect example of that riffing and fun guitar parts I mentioned. It's raw and it's got a great almost funky, fast paced chorus and a great main riff! 03. We've Got A Big Mess On Our Hands - This was the first single to be released from the album and has a great sing a long chorus. It still includes one of TAI's trademarks which is the simple verse to observe some nice vocal part from William Beckett before the big sing a long chorus! 06. Bulls In Brooklyn - This one of the many highlights of the album, it has a sort of Jazz feel witht the whole finger snaps and the tatty piano part in the instrumental section! 07. Neighbours - "Oh wait, they've not COMPLETELY changed!" This is one of the songs that acts almost as a reminder of the traditional sound of "Almost Here" I think this was the second single to come out, great song real catchy! 11. Unexpected Places - This song WAS unexpected, especially the guitar part in the chorus which is almost like a trademark of bands much like The Killers. It's definately a different way to finish off an album and I quite like it! Let's hope you will too! I love the general sound of the album it's almost Rock n' Roll vibed and I think it's a healthy development from their debut. // 10

More The Academy Is reviews rating latest review