Secrets Review

The Acorn People: Secrets
Released: Feb 28, 2014
Genre: Blues Rock, Punk Rock
Label: Self-released
This doesn't really compare to anything I can think of, but that works to this band's advantage. Very promising debut effort all in all and look forward to more from this band in the future.
 7.9
 7.3
 8.5
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Secrets Reviewed by: TNLocalMusicGuy, on march 11, 2014

Sound: The Acorn People is a four-piece guitar band from Murfreesboro, Tennessee and has a quirky blues punk sound to them. The music is an unorthodox mix, but it works well for this band. The music itself has its highlights and moments, but is a bit uneven at times. I do like the use of four different guitars. They use acoustic guitars and banjos and mesh them with electric and steel guitars very well. The lead vocalist's overall skills are reason enough to give this album at least a few worthwhile listens. She does great with the slower tempo songs, but seemed a bit inconsistent with the more up tempo songs. Still though, there is a lot of potential in the vocals of Grace Jermusyk. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics aren't the deepest or most thought-provoking, yet by the same token, they are effective and consistent with the songs and it is possible to feel an emotional connection to certain songs, "Hold On" in particular being the deepest song in that regard. I found the lead vocals of Grace Jermusyk to be the biggest highlight of this album. She has almost a Janis Joplin type of quality to her voice. Hope to hear more from this singer in the future, preferably with this band. The lyrics, for the most part, comply consistently to the music. Unfortunately, when they delve more into the punk side of their music than into blues, they tend to run into compliance issues. But when they maintain the balance, or even lean more toward the blues side of things, it works very well. // 8

Overall Impression: This doesn't really compare to anything I can think of, but that works to this band's advantage. The best songs on this album are "Hold On," "Maybe Someday," "Sam Jackson," "Oh My," and "Morning Glory." The other songs don't quite click as well as those five. I love the lead vocalist's sound and the quirky sound this band has. Their acoustic and steel guitar heavy work is the strong suit for them. I hated the fact that the majority of the songs were so short and I was disappointed by the inconsistency and unevenness in spots on this album. That said, there's far more good than bad on this album and if someone stole it from me, I'd definitely do what I could to buy another copy. Very promising debut effort all in all and look forward to more from this band in the future. // 7

Comments