Eat A Peach Review

artist: the allman brothers band date: 01/25/2007 category: compact discs
the allman brothers band: Eat A Peach
Release Date: 1972
Label: Polydor
Genres: Album Rock, Slide Guitar Blues, Blues-Rock, Hard Rock, Southern Rock, Boogie Rock
A tribute to the dearly departed Duane, Eat A Peach rambles through two albums, running through a side of new songs.
 9.2
 8.4
Eat A Peach Reviewed by: Matt Montoya, on may 30, 2006

Sound: The Allman Brothers Band have one of the greatest sounds ever heard. They have made all kinds of music, raising the standards for blues, rock, southern rock, guitar playing, bass playing, and singing. This CD was dedicated to Duane Allman, who died in a motorcycle crash just months before the album. This album features songs with Duane Allman and dedicated to him. It came out to be a legendary masterpiece. // 10

Lyrics: The Allman Brothers Band do have good lyrics, but for some songs, lyrics would just get in the way, with some instrumentals on the album. Here is my individual review of each song: 01. Ain't Wastin' Time No More - a good song, not the best on the album, but still good. 02. Les Brers In A Minor - one of the top 5 Allman Brothers songs of all time, and also the highlight of the album where Dickey Betts shows us his instrumental genius with the electrifying organ and guitar solo, and the intro, which sounds like a classical symphony, with distortion (not a bad thing). 03. Melissa - one of the best that Gregg Allman ever wrote. The backup electric guitar has a good lead. The chords flow very good, and the lyrics are even better. 04. Mountain Jam - a good, song, and a good jam session. If you want to listen to the whole thing, you'll practically have to plan your entire day schedule around it, because it's about 30 minutes long, but it has good guitar work. 05. One Way Out - one of the best blues songs I have ever heard. Gregg shines with the vocals of a 1930s bluesman born in southern Mississippi. 06. Trouble No More - another great blues song, where Duane Allman proves to be the greatest slide guitarist to ever live. 07. Stand Back - a good song with a good intro also. 08. Blue Sky - the best non-instrumental song that Betts ever wrote, with good lyrics, and an incredible guitar solo featuring one of the last recordings of Duane Allman. 09. Little Martha - the only recorded song the was completely composed by Duane Allman. Duane and Dickey Betts are the only band members to play in this acoustic instrumental, but it is one of the highlights of the album, and I will enjoy listening to this song for a long time. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this is one of the best Allman Brothers Band albums. Every band member is a talented musician, and unlike some bands, their music took some skill to make. The guitar playing is awesome, the bass playing is awesome, the singing is awesome, the keyboard is awesome, the drums are awesome, the lyrics are awesome, the band members are awesome, the music is awesome, the album is awesome, the songwriting is awesome, and if you get this album, you won't be able to find one thing wrong with it. That is why it is going to be the first album to get a perfect 10 from me. The Allman Brothers Band made a legendary album dedicated to a brother. // 10

Eat A Peach Reviewed by: aig91, on january 25, 2007

Sound: There is a lot to say about the sound on Eat A Peach. It is definitely one of the Allman Brothers Band's best. The variety of music on this album is just incredible. There is everything from southern rock, blues, jazz, and even a little bit of soul. Although this album was released after the death of guitarist Duane Allman, there are still many tracks included which show off his outstanding guitar work. Blue Sky is a great Dickie Betts song. It exposes him as a great songwriter, guitarist, and singer. There are many other songs which show off the unique style and talent of every member of the Allman Brothers Band. // 10

Lyrics: As far as the lyrics go, they are very well-written. Gregg Allman and Dickie Betts had a lot to say and they said it all through their music. There were quite a few songs that didn't even need words for the Allman Brothers Band to get their feelings and their message across. For the songs that did have words, the words complemented the music perfectly, and vice-versa. // 10

Overall Impression: Eat A Peach is a classic Allman Brothers album. Everything about this album is just outstanding from the live 33 minute version of Mountain Jam to the softly spoken Melissa. In my opinion, I honestly cannot find one thing wrong with this album. I think that the Allman Brothers Band hit the mark of perfection with this album. If someone were to ask me which Allman Brothers Band album I would recommend, it would have to be Eat A Peach. Eat A Peach is the album that got me into the Allman Brothers Band, and I hope it does the same for someone else too. If this Eat A Peach were stolen, I would run out to the store immediately and buy another one and keep the new one under lock and key so it doesn't happen again. // 10

More The Allman Brothers Band reviews rating latest review