Live At Fillmore East Review

artist: the allman brothers band date: 06/01/2006 category: compact discs
the allman brothers band: Live At Fillmore East
Release Date: Jul 1971
Label: Polydor
Genres: Album Rock, Slide Guitar Blues, Blues-Rock, Hard Rock, Southern Rock, Boogie Rock, Jazz-Rock, Jam Bands, Guitar Virtuoso
Live At Fillmore East is like a great live jazz session, where the pleasure comes from the musicians' interaction and playing.
 Lyrics: 8.3
 8.9
Live At Fillmore East Reviewed by: TheHeartbreaker, on february 16, 2006

Sound: Often regarded as the greatest live album ever, the music on this CD definetly backs this theory. The sound on the album is incredible, as the greatest Southern Rock band plays at the legendary Fillmore East. The recording quality is perfect as you can hear the crowd cheering on as the band jams into songs going on over ten minutes. Best known for their blues-based jam-rock, the band plays a variety of music from the Latin-influenced Dickey Betts classic "In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed" to the Elmore James "Done Somebody Wrong." Those that have bought the reissued version will get a few more songs included that were saved for other albums such as "Mountain Jam," which is on the Eat A Peach album. I've got the version without "Mountain Jam," but I got it on Eat A Peach, so I'm content. No mattter what the song, style, or anything, the musicians are able to create some of the most beautiful music ever heard; as Duane and Dickey tame their guitars, switching off solos and licks, Gregg sings his heart out as his organ work rings in the background. Oakley keeps the groove going on bass and Jai Johanny "Jaimo" Johanson and Butch Trucks keeps a strong beat. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are great, whether they be written by the band or someone else. As good as they are, they'd be nothing if they weren't sung by the greatest, white blues singer Gregg Allman. He can only be described as a "ministrel" when you talk about the beauty his voice brings to the music. Rich, and strong, Gregg boasts one of the greatest voices of any singer. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said, it is regarded as one of the greatest live albums ever, and it is my personal favorite. The most impressive song on the version I have would either be "In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed" or "Whipping Post." For those of with the reissued version, I'd say "Mountain Jam," which keeps you guessing and wondering how the band is able to improvise for roughly 35 minutes and never get repetitive (you think that's something, listen to the 44 minutes version at the Ludlow Garage). There's nothing about this album I hate. It is perfect. Final verdict. Though it may sound unnecessary to say, I can only describe this album as "a musical orgasm." If it were lost or stolen, I'd definetly buy another. Any fan of music, no matter what genre, should pick this up. It is one of the most enjoyable albums to listen to. A masterpiece. // 10

Live At Fillmore East Reviewed by: abubbleinthesun, on may 20, 2006

Sound: If you like blues live and long, then you would definately like these good ol' boys. Armed with one of, if not the, greatest guitar players, a blues driven bassist, a melodic monster of a keyboardist, and two, yes two, different yet unique drummers, this band is one of the greatest. From the calm and collected guitar solos of Duane to the toe tapping drum solos of jay jay, this is definately a compact disk to add to your collection if you call yourself a music lover. // 8

Lyrics: Somtimes music isn't about the lyrics. Gregg is a good blues singer but he's far from the best songwriter. He does get the job done though, and he's blessed with great musicians. // 5

Overall Impression: Like I said before this is definately a CD to add to the music lovers collection. With its raw 14-15 minutes songs to its couple minute jams, this is for the blues lover. If you aren't a blues lover, you may get bored listening to it. But definately listen to "Stormy Monday". That is by far, in my opinion" the best track on the CD. // 8

Live At Fillmore East Reviewed by: zeppelfloyd, on june 01, 2006

Sound: This album is absolutly amazing. The sound is perfect, all parts are clearly heard and as always Duane Allman's slide guitar is amazing. Everything comes through with a great blues/southern rock feel that is like nothing else. This is definatly the best live album ever recorded. It dosen't have out of tune singing or any parts that didn't work live, there are no flaws. And besides the technical aspect being perfect, this album also keeps you interested; through the 22 minute Whipping Post you keep listening because of the brilliant improvisations. This album sounds absolutly amazing. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics weren't the main focus of this album for me. The instruments are really the focus of the album. However, Gregg Allmans singing is absolutly amazing. Many of these songs are not originals so the lyrics aren't all the allman bros writing. Many of these songs are covers of the allmans favorite songs. However the singing is great. Gregg Allman can actually sing the blues and make it sound good. not many white guys can do that, but Gregg does it perfectly. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is called the best live album for a reason. It has a great sound and some of the most skilled musicians ever playing with tons of emotion. It is obvious how this album helped popularize the Allman bros band. If this ever got stolen, well it shouldn't get stolen because everyone should have their own. And I wouldn't lose it because it's far to valuable. // 10

More The Allman Brothers Band reviews rating latest review