Martin Scorsese Presents The Blues: The Allman Brothers Review

artist: the allman brothers band date: 09/23/2008 category: compact discs
the allman brothers band: Martin Scorsese Presents The Blues: The Allman Brothers
Release Date: Sep 9, 2003
Label: Island / Mercury
 9.9
 9.7
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Martin Scorsese Presents The Blues: The Allman Brothers Reviewed by: aig91, on september 23, 2008

Sound: Can't get enough of that sweet southern rock with a big blues influence? Love the sweet sound of the slide guitar? This album is definitely a good album to have if that's the case. From the PBS series produced by filmmaker Martin Scorsese, this release features 11 tracks including 7 live versions. This album is basically a collection of some of the Allman Brother's finest covers of blues classics throughout the years. Nobody could cover the classics quite like the Allman Brothers band. Many tracks to be heard are covers from blues legends such as Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, T-Bone Walker, Elmore James, and many others. Some of the tracks are from the legendary Filmore East show, while other tracks are lesser known and harder to find. The Allman Brothers had a very unique take on these blues classics. From the wailing guitars to the soulful vocals, this album is definitely some of their finest work and best moments. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are quite what you would expect from the blues. Nothing too lyrically extravagant. The majority of these songs are about personal woes in a world of harsh reality, such as a lost love or difficult times. I am very impressed with the vocals on this album. Gregg Allman is often regarded as one of the greatest white blues singers to exist. He has certainly earned that title with the release of this album. He has a very soulful, bluesy voice that complements the music perfectly. The vocals definitely do not disappoint. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, I am very satisfied with the selection of songs that are included on this album. The quality of the music is outstanding. I really have no complaints about it. Although this may not be one of the Allman Brother's most popular or well-known albums, it's definitely worth checking out if you're a fan of the blues. It really does capture some of the Allman Brother's finest work with these blues classics. One of the tracks that impressed me the most is a 20 minute jam, which is the live cover of You Don't Love Me (originally recorded at Filmore East). I was also very satisfied with the amazing slide guitar in Statesboro Blues (live) and One Way Out (live). I see this album as being an important part of my CD collection. I would definitely buy it again if something were to happen to my copy. // 10

More The Allman Brothers Band reviews rating latest review