Revival Review

The Answer: Revival
Released: Oct 3, 2011
Genre: Hard Rock, Blues Rock
Label: Spinefarm Records
"Revival" is The Answer's third studio album and there is a clear sound difference from "Rise" to this. I love the album, everything about it, to the songs, the sound, the guitar playing, everything right down to the CD and vinyl packaging.
 9.5
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Revival Reviewed by: JiLeZ, on march 12, 2012

Sound: "Revival" is The Answer's third studio album and there is a clear sound difference from "Rise" to this. The band's sound is more developed in every way, Cormac is singing his ass off as usual, his melodies have changed from both "Rise" and "Everyday Demons" to more of a variety and can see his other influences. James and Mickey have developed as players as evident throughout. Paul, has developed the most in my opinion, his riffs are different, his solos are different and his sound is different. His riffs are different from the previous two albums in every way, he is more adventurous and aggressive on "Revival". His solos have changed a lot also, he uses the full scale of the guitar more often, he uses different scales and licks which is evident as a guitar player. Overall, the band has developed positively as artists. There are lots of influences on this record, from the AC/DC inspired "New Day Rising" to the Free inspired "Faith Gone Down" to the Thin Lizzy inspired "Caught On The Riverbed". There is a range on this album, fantastic guitar playing, amazing drum tracks, slamming bass lines and who could forget about Cormac? He's vocal performance is outstanding on this record and it proves that Cormac is one of, if not the best "new" frontmen around today. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on "Revival" from the start of "Waste Your Tears" to "Lights Are Down" and also the bonus tracks on "After The Revival" such as "Piece By Piece" and "Faith Gone Down" are insanely good. Cormac always writes great lyrics but this bunch of lyrics are by far his best. Tracks such as "Nowhere Freeway" and "Can't Remember, Can't Forget" are personal lyric-wise favourites for me. "Nowhere Freeway" - "I got nowhere where I can turn/I take my chances I don't care if I burn/on that freeway I would spend my days/I take my chances I may never return/come back again". The lyrics add to the music, they lyrics and music combined tells a great story. Cormac's lyrics are personal and can be related to very easily, this is such a hard thing for a lyricist to do well but Cormac does it well. His lyrics remind me of Phil Lynott's, maybe its an Irish thing? // 8

Overall Impression: As a massive Answer fan, I love "Rise" and especially love "Everyday Demons", I think "Revival" beats the both of them, sound wise, song wise, lyric wise and just overall. "Revival" and "Everday Demons" are the true the sound of the band but "Revival" has that edge that tells everyone what The Answer is really about. I love all the songs on this record, there isn't honestly a bad song on the album. It's a "jukebox" album, where you can just play the album start to finish but if I had to pick a few favourites, they would be "Waste Your Tears", "Nowhere Freeway", "Trouble", "Caught On The Riverbed" and "Can't Remember, Can't Forget". I love the album, everything about it, to the songs, the sound, the guitar playing, everything right down to the CD and vinyl packaging. If it was stolen/lost I would most definitely buy it again straight away, because this album was my album of the year 2011 and definitely in my Top 5 all time albums. "Revival" is what The Answer is all about, awesome guitars, head banging tunes, outstanding vocals, classic and hard rock n roll and about "reviving rock from the grass-roots up"! Well done lads! // 10

More The Answer reviews rating latest review