Rise Review

The Answer: Rise
Release Date: Jun 26, 2006
Label: Alberts
Genres: Rock
If '70s arena rock with bluesy vocals and loud guitars were classic thirty years ago, then these guys are keeping it alive to this day.
 Lyrics: 7.3
 8.7
 7.9
 9.5
Rise Reviewed by: Ace Frehley, on december 18, 2006

Sound: I read some reviews about The Answer in Classic Rock magazine and I was really amazed. Before I buy the album I had downloaded some songs from their official website, and the songs were awesome. Excellent sound quality, they really give you the feel of the '60s and the '70s which I really love. There is a 15 page booklet with the song lyrics and some pictures of them. They really remind me a lot of AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Free and many others. But one thing I loved is that they play kick ass rock 'n' roll and they play it right. I only hope they won't break up.And I also think that rock 'n' roll is something that lives in everybody's heart. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are quite good. Classical rock 'n' roll lyrics that are good enough to keep you up when you're down. The singer has amazing singing skills that are hard to find nowadays. We can understand from the way he is singing and his style that he is influenced from old bands that play rock 'n' roll and blues and he is deep into the game. // 10

Overall Impression: I wouldn't compare this album with any other. The most impressive songs of the album were (my number one) "Under the sky", "Come Follow me", "Be what you want", "No questions asked" and "Always". I loved the guitar breaks and solos a lot, but the drumming and the bass are really great too. I don't think there is anything I hated in this album. If it were lost or stolen I would go down to the CD store and buy it again. // 10

Rise Reviewed by: James_CFC, on july 03, 2006

Sound: Few people had heard of The Answer up until a few months ago. Expect to be hearing a lot more of them after this debut. 'Rise' is an epic blend of crunching guitar riffs and catchy rhythms that echo that of bands such as Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin. The best track on the album by far is Into the Gutter. While the lead singer's voice reminds you of Robert Plant, the guitar has AC/DC written all over it. Quick tempo changes are key to this album, as you will hear in the chorus of the opening track, Under The Sky. Overall, the album sounds brilliant, and while there are parts the band could improve on, Rise will undoubtedly be climbing the charts in the coming weeks. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are much as you would expect from this kind of band, and Preachin' is a brilliant example of what this band are all about, "I'm gonna get me a religion and, I'm gonna join a baptist church," brilliant. The lead singer, Cormac Neeson, has a voice which reminds you of the late Bon Scott and at times Robert Plant. His singing ranges very slightly, from his normal tone, to higher up in the scale, and he rarely passes below his normal voice. The last song on the album, Always, shows us the gentler side of Neeson's voice, where he doesn't have to scream to be heard over the rest of the band. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is possibly the best debut from a British rock band I've ever heard. It has everything, epic guitar riffs, stunning vocals, the list goes on. While it still has it's bad moments, what album doesn't? There is only one poor song on the album, Come Follow Me, which just tries too hard. The best songs are undoubtedly Under The Sky, Always, and the single, Into The Gutter. A few words of advice, buy this album. // 10

Rise Reviewed by: SWLABR, on april 14, 2007

Sound: The sound on this album is amazing, awesome guitar work and tone through and through. The energy and intensity of the band is fully captured in every song. The singer at times is reminiscent of Sammy Hagar (in a good way, though). The riffs are solid and fresh and the rhthym section is top-notch. With thgat being said there is one small problem I have with the albums sound as a whole. Just like Sabbath's Paranoid and ACDC's Back In Black (the albums, not the songs), this guitarist has found a monster tone that he seems to have fallen in love with. Almost every song has the same sound to it that to some it may get a little tedious. I'm not saying the songs are bad or that the tone is bad. I'm saying that sometimes you can have to much of a good thing, as may be the case in this album. I love the sound he's got, though. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics were the one part of this album that made contemplate not buying it. Whereas everything else on this album gets an A, I would give the lyrics a C-. They are predictable and novice. For example, on the song "No Questions Asked" the BGVs on the chorus go "Ask no questions. Tell no lies." Who didn't see that coming? That is pretty much the case throughout the album. The songer's got some chops though. He can really wail and hit those high notes. Perfect complement to the band. // 6

Overall Impression: THis album reminds me of The Black Crowes' "Shake Your Money Maker". Every song is solid and the each have a blues tinge to them. The sound a little like The Black Crowes, Jimi Hendrix, Rage Against the Machine (a little), James Gang, and pretty much every '70s band rolled into one. My favorite song is Never Too Late, it's got a sweet intro and a funky verse line. Like I said before, great songs, iffy lyrics, but worth the price of admission. // 9

Rise Reviewed by: nikh158, on july 31, 2007

Sound: Hardly a year on since The Answer`s stunning debut album, Rise and already it`s been re-issued, albeit in new packaging and with a second full-length CD, imaginatively titled "Rise 2". This review will concentrate on Rise 2. As has been previously noted, The Answer are a throwback to the days of Zep, AC/DC in their prime and The Black Crowes circa 1990. The guitar player has nailed that tone perfectly, sounding remarkably like Jimmy Page on most tracks. Trivia time: the guitar player used to play a strat, but decided he needed something with a little more bite. He now uses a LP Gibson and a Tele in Drop D for certain songs. Courtesy of YouTube for that snippet of information. // 4

Lyrics: All the comments the reviewer made about Rise also (obviously) apply to Rise 2. The singers voice has been compared to Plant/Robinson, but to my ears he sounds very much like Steve Marriot (Small Faces/Humble Pie). Whatever, he has a great rock/blues sound, perfect for the style of music they play. The lyrics are rather cliched, but it really doesn`t matter; Rock music became an international phenomenon and has lasted 50 years because of the way it sounds, not how deep and meaningful the lyrics are (have you ever listened to the words to Jean Genie or Metal Guru). // 4

Overall Impression: Rise 2 consists 15 tracks; a reworked version of Keep Believin`, an acoustic Into The Gutter, a smattering of live tracks some b-sides and out-takes from the first album sessions. Keep Believin` is the standout track of the CD, but there`s also a solid cover of Aerosmith`s Sweet Emotion and the acoustic Into The Gutter gives the song an entirely different feel. The only track I feel the need to skip is track 2, I Won`t Let You Down, which is pretty weak and forgettable. The live tracks (Come Follow Me, Sometimes Your Love, Be What You Want/Moment are fine, although I`d have preferred to see the real stompers, such as Under The Sky, Never Too Late or Into The Gutter on the CD, but I guess they`re saving those for the "real" live album later in their career. So the big question is, is it worth buying if you`ve already paid good money for the original version? My answer (see what I did there? ) is an unqualified yes. It probably doesn`t represent the best value for money if you already have Rise 1, but is still worth having if you`re a fan (which I am of course). The scores are based on the fact that this is a re-issue and I`d still rate the original as a 5. // 4

More The Answer reviews rating latest review