The Second Gleam Review

the avett brothers: The Second Gleam
Released: July 22, 2008
Genre: Folk, Rock
Label: Ramseur Records
The Second Gleam (sometimes written The Gleam II) is a 2008 EP by The Avett Brothers.
 9.1
 8.3
 9.9
The Second Gleam Reviewed by: sweetpeasuzie, on november 10, 2008

Sound: The banjo toting/indie-pop trio, The Avett Brothers, garnish their latest release The Second Gleam with acoustic splashes and country-folk motifs reminiscent of Iron And Wine and Band Of Horses. Produced by Rick Rubin (Johnny Cash, Jakob Dylan), the songs accentuate every blemish on the music's anatomy and every sore spot in the band's prairieland voicing. The lead vocals of banjo player Scott Avett embalm the flowy movements with slow rising crests and swells that seize hold of the listener's thought processes as the country-folk faculties of guitarist/keyboardist Seth Avett are intrinsically in tune to the rhythmic knolls of bassist/backup vocalist Bob Crawford. The gently twirling guitar chords of Swept Away create a soft wonderland ambience as the upbeat gait of Die, Die, Die adds circles of festive jolts to the album. The songs allow listeners to walk along to the pensive beats while the words sink into their thoughts as they go about their daily routine. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics are centered around the family and home life like in Tear Down The House where the lyrics demand, Tear down the house that I grew up in / I'll never be the same again / Take everything that I've collected / And throw it in a pile / Bulldoze the woods that I ran through / Carry the pictures of me and you / I have no memory of who I once was / And I doubt I'll remember your name. Sometimes the lyrical themes are shrouded in eulogy-like verses as shown in Murder In The City, with phrases like, If I get murdered in the city / Don't go revenging in my name / One person dead from such is plenty / No need to go get locked away / When I leave your arms the things I think of / No need to get over alarmed / I'm coming home. // 8

Overall Impression: The Avett Brothers latest release The Second Gleam brings to the table melodically plowed acoustics weaving around the cushiony vocal slopes of Scott Avett with finely designed needlework. Their songs illuminate the band's free spirit and countrified style of folk-pop. The Avett Brothers album symbolizes Americana music in one of it's finest forms and brings it into the pop forum. // 7

The Second Gleam Reviewed by: Macheeoo, on october 04, 2011

Sound: First off, I'm an avid Avett fan for life. "The Second Gleam" EP (2008) was the last release before their most current album "I And Love And You" (2009) which could be seen as a polar opposite to this record. As heard in the first "Gleam" EP, the brothers strive for a stripped-down, acoustic set focusing on their strong writing skills. This isn't to say that the instrumental work lacks at all, only that it showcases their lyrical ability beyond anything up to that point in time. The tone is soft and sweet. Imagine sitting on the front porch of the Avett family farm. Armed with two guitars and the occasional banjo, these two make magic out of thin air. // 9

Lyrics: AS I mentioned above, this EP boasts highly thought provoking lyrics so profound that you'll need to listen twice to reach the level of satisfaction that comes with any ordinary first impression. The opening track, "Tear Down The House", isn't the fast hard hitting one liner wonder sound that the title implies. Instead it focuses on the irony of losing physical objects only someday lose your self as well. "Park the old car that I'd loved the best, inspection is due and it won't pass the test, Its' funny how I have to put it to rest, and how one day I will join it..." By far one of the Avett's most beloved hits it "Murder In The City", which once again does not sound as the title implies. "If I get murdered in the city, don't go revenging in my name, one person dead from such if plenty, no need to go get locked away..." Perhaps the most understated song on the album is "St. Josephs" which follows a young couple through many rough years of hardship and doubt. This song as well as many others written by the brothers sets out to prove that love conquers in times of desperation. It sifts through periods of sickness, fighting, childbirth, and marriage. Complimented by a beautiful melody and delicate harmonies. // 10

Overall Impression: Looking in retrospect, this album shows great depth in their music writing ability. AS time goes on, and they continue to move in towards the style of music they currently develop, this is a great example of how they can reduce the level of activity and still have intensity. In comparison to other albums by The Avett Brothers this ranks high, proving that they get better with each try. Lyrically, this is a strong front runner. If you are looking for some incredible acoustic music, look no further. The sound produced is trance like in its' ability to captivate the emotions of each story. // 9

More The Avett Brothers reviews rating latest review