Physical Illucinations In The Sewer Of Xuchilbara (The Red God) Review

artist: The Axis Of Perdition date: 07/16/2010 category: compact discs
The Axis Of Perdition: Physical Illucinations In The Sewer Of Xuchilbara (The Red God)
Released: 2004
Genre: metal
 8.2
 8.3
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Physical Illucinations In The Sewer Of Xuchilbara (The Red God) Reviewed by: Cheeseman Jay, on july 16, 2010

Sound: You laughed when you read the name, right? If you knew what this sounded like, however, you wouldn't be so keen to laugh. Middlebrough's own The Axis Of Perdition released their 2004 EP, 'Physical Illucinations in the Sewer of Xuchilbara (The Red God)', under difficult circumstances. Lack of funding meant that a number of songs had to be cut and, as this album was originally meant to be a half-and-half effort with France's Blut Aus Nord, the French half was completley cut. What we are left with, then, are 5 songs of pure, unadultered terror. I'm going to give you a warning right now though. Don't put the first song on and expect it to be amazing on it's own. It's almost impossible to listen to each song from this album separately. They follow each other to make a story and that's the best way to listen to it. The tracklist and lengths of song are as follows: 01. Interference from the Other Side (Pendulums Prey) 5:01 02. Where the World Becomes Flesh 5:12 03. Pendulum Prey (Reciprocating Horror)" 7:10 04. Reopening Wounds of the Transition Hospital 2:22 05. Heaving Salvation in the Paradise of Rust 10:22 It's only 2.50 on iTunes. That's nothing for half an hour of musical innovation. Go get it. // 9

Lyrics: The 'singing' fits the music and I like the use of audio recordings (the woman in 'Where The World Becomes Flesh' and 'Pendulum Prey (Reciprocating Horror)' is Claudia Wolf from Silent Hill 3, the game from which the band took the name of the EP from). The samples are quite chilling and used to good effect. However, I have no chance at all of commenting on the lyrics. They fit the music and that's good enough for me. // 7

Overall Impression: One of the greatestattributes that a band or album can have, in my eyes, is a sense of uniqueness. There is no denying that The Axis Of Perdition are unique in every aspect possibleand that should draw plenty of fans to them. The fact of the matter is, I can only one band who is even vaguely similar to them, and that is the afore-mentioned 'Blut Aus Nord' Even then, they're not all that similar. If this is your first dabble in 'industrial black metal' (which is likely), please, read upon my other Axis of Perdition review. I sign off by reiterating this fact; it's only 2.50. What have you got to lose? // 9

More The Axis Of Perdition reviews rating latest review