Pet Sounds Review

artist: The Beach Boys date: 01/19/2011 category: compact discs
The Beach Boys: Pet Sounds
Released: May 16, 1966
Genre: Baroque pop, psychedelic rock, psychedelic pop
Label: Capitol
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Pet Sounds Reviewed by: IBuriedPaul, on january 19, 2011

Sound: If there was any album in the course of music that could completely sum up the experience of growing up, it would have to be Pet Sounds. This album is as relevant today as it was when it first was released back in 1966. I was first turned on to this album during my senior year of high school. Whenever I would drive around with my friends, Pet Sounds was sure to be playing. Never before has an album truly captured teenage life so perfectly. The songs on Pet Sounds are truly timeless. The music perfectly conveys how a young adult feels when falling in love the first time, losing their innocence, heart break, and much more. Musically, the album is phenomenal. Woodwinds, harpsichords, strings, and all other sorts of instruments are packed onto this album creating a huge wall of sound. Brian Wilson, the chief song-writer of The Beach Boys has a golden ear. He was able to create an absolutely flawless album, melodically. This is a richly textured album that is reverb-drenched and almost haunting in a way. Everyone deserves to listen to this immaculate album. // 10

Lyrics: The Beach Boys were a vocal-based band. Therefore the lyrics and vocal delivery was crucial to them. The vocal harmonies on this album are unbeatable. This could be considered a concept album. The overlying theme is growing up and entering adulthood. Wouldn't It Be Nice" is about the dream of two young people wanting to be on their own so their love can blossom. "That's Not Me" also covers the issue of leaving home and finding out who you really are. "Waiting For The Day" is about a young man who wants to heal a girl who's had her heart broken. "God Only Knows" is the penultimate song on the album. It is purely about being so in love that you are dependent on that person to survive. This of course almost always end badly, as The Beach Boys display so perfectly in the next few songs. "Here Today" is a warning from the former boyfriend to the newest boyfriend that the girl is no good and she will leave him for the next best thing. The final track, "Caroline No" is about people changing and falling out of love because they've become so different. Experiencing all of that in my own adolescence has made me appreciate this album so much more. // 10

Overall Impression: Pet Sounds will always have a place in my favorite albums ever. It was the soundtrack to growing up. I can't pick a favorite song from the album because they are a collective. This album must be listened in its entirety to be truly understood. I love every aspect of this album from the vocals, to the lyrics, to the melodies. It's a flawless album from start to finish. // 10

More The Beach Boys reviews rating latest review