The Best Party Ever Review

the boy least likely to: The Best Party Ever
Release Date: Jul 19, 2005
Label: Too Young To Die
Genres: Indie Pop
The Best Party Ever is an unremitting ramble through a springtime garden, hand in hand with the sound of innocence and cloaked in gentle melancholy.
 4.5
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
The Best Party Ever Reviewed by: TagRingo, on march 11, 2008

Sound: Despite being a self-assigned 'Country Disco' band, the BLLT duo could arguably fall into a myriad of categories, synth/indie pop being the most all-encompassing and appropriate. The sound consists of infectious grin-inducing bounce, helped along by instruments ranging from harmonicas to synths to banjos to recorders. Despite the 'business' of the songs, each and every one is a great balance between all aspects, and it rarely gets repetitive. A few songs a bit on the sadder side, but sort of lacking emotional variety. Not a big negative though, the CD is called 'Best Party Ever', after all. // 9

Lyrics: The high-pitched singing of Jof Owen perfectly compliments the instrumentation, making for a sound somehow both reminiscent of childhood songs and modern and applicable to youth and young adulthood. Owen honestly discusses loss, heartbreak, joy, paranoia, and the hundreds of other everyday emotions through clever metaphor ("Paper cuts", "Monsters", "Fur Soft as Fur", "My Tiger My Heart") and with the help of heartfelt lyric and voice. Honestly, the lyrics may be the most appealing aspect of the band on the whole. // 9

Overall Impression: There's not much BLLT can be compared to, they're such a unique group. Take some of Bright Eye's eclectic instrumentation with a bit of older Death Cab pop on a nice summer afternoon on a van trip with best friends and you might start to get the idea. Despite occasional emotional dips, this CD is pure sunshine, even on its most forlorn tracks, "My Tiger My Heart" and "Paper Cuts". Perhaps the nicest thing about the album is that I can easily listen it with my nephews during nap time or while driving around or hanging with friends. The only thing I hate is that it's so damn hard to find; sorry guys, you're probably gonna have to resort to burning or worse. If it was stolen or lost, I'd probably mourn for a week and then get another copy immediately. For any indie enthusiast, this is a must have! The band can be heard on MySpace, YouTube or Whatev, or PM me, I noticed UG had no reviews of this yet! // 9

More The Boy Least Likely To reviews rating latest review