Whisper War Review

The Cab: Whisper War
Release Date: Apr 29, 2008
Label: Fueled by Ramen
Genres: Alternative Pop/Rock, Emo
Spencer Smith of Panic at the Disco discovered them and Fall Out Boy's Pete Wentz signed them to his Decaydance imprint but can these Las Vegas upstarts live up to the hype?
 Lyrics: 9.3
 8.7
 8.4
Whisper War Reviewed by: girl-tarist, on march 23, 2009

Sound: Being an avid fan of Paramore, I decided to check out the Fuelled by Ramen YouTube Channel. (I check out the label for new music. It's what I do.) The music video for "I'll Run" was being featured, and right away I was taken by the build up of guitar, drums, and "oohs". All of a sudden, I hear a PIANO? "SICK!" I screamed to myself. I listened through the song, and I thought it was very pop infused with distorted guitar. Alex DeLeon, the frontman, has a great voice - strong lead, poppy riffs, great harmonies. Throughout the listening of Whisper War, I thought that the band's use of the instruments were great. The piano (Alex Marshall) wasn't lost in the guitar (Ian Crawford) and bass (Cash Colligan). The drums (Alex Johnson) weren't monotonous between tracks. (I hate when drummer play monotonously. ) The instrumentalists all have great talents. I've heard their EP. Their sound has definitely evolved from the generic Indie sound to a more. Commerical Indie sound, which I think is really good. The Cab is a mixture of genres. Pop, rock, funk, R&B. Listeners can catch on that The Cab is from Las Vegas, Nevada. Aside from the fact that they have a song called "Vegas Skies", in some tracks (e.g., Can You Keep a Secret, This City is Contagious) their sound is just Vegas. // 10

Lyrics: Alex De Leon has a blog where he has recently been blogging about the Whisper War songs. You should check it out. His songs are influenced by his home of Las Vegas, and his experiences in his life. (He's only 19 years old, I think.) The lyrics are very deep, they tell stories, and again sound very Vegas. "Take My Hand" is about hope, and never giving up. "This City Is Contagious" is about what Vegas can do to people and how it can eat you alive, "What is around us, will ultimately have a large say in who we are. Well, ladies and gentlemen, I am from Las Vegas, Nevada and it happened to have a very large mouth (Symphony Soldier)." De Leon's vocal capabilities are intense. It's obvious that his influence include Justin Timberlake and JC Chasez. You should hear this guy live. It's just like listening to the CD. That's how good he is. // 10

Overall Impression: Let's say you were to compare The Cab to other artists from Vegas. Let's say, The Killers, and Panic! At the Disco. The Cab is definitely the more pop of the 3 bands. For me, I could sit through multiple listening sessions of this CD compared to the others' releases. If you're into pop rock, killer harmonies, great use of instruments, you should definitely check out The Cab. Best songs on the album: "Bounce", "I'll Run", "High Hopes On Velvet Ropes", "That's 70's Song", "Take My Hand", "Risky Business", "Vegas Nights", "Can You Keep A Secret" and "This City Is Contagious" I love how their CD pumps me up, and makes me feel happy when I hear their songs! (I read on DeLeon's blog that he wants to make happy music. So he reached his goal.) I like how even their more serious songs are still high energy. However, I feel that the band spoils the listener with all those fast songs which makes me not like their slower songs as much. It's one of the best CD's I've heard in a while. And, if it were stolen. I'd cry, and buy it again online because it's not available in Canada yet. In fact, they came to Toronto recently and my sister, my brother, and I bought our own copies. So that's 3 copies for 1 household. It's that damn good. // 9

Whisper War Reviewed by: UG Team, on may 13, 2008

Sound: The Cab sound undoubtedly American. From the opening bang of One of Those Nights, it doesn't take long to find traces of dance and American funk pulsing through their infectious take on pop-rock. Actually, let me emphasize the pop in that last sentence. This Las Vegas bred quintet knows how to spool a tasty pop hook together and they do it all over their debut full-length, Whisper War. It's almost as though every single vocal line was sprinkled with sugar and some kind of fairy dust. And at the risk of getting lambasted in the comment section under this review, I will say that this isn't necessarily a bad thing! Vocalist, Alex Deleon is the kind of tunesmith that can quickly lead a young band into a long career. Ryan Tedder (One Republic) and Rob Thomas (Matchbox Twenty) are fine examples of how having a singer who can also write on his own, can be a godsend for a group. Deleon, while not on their aforementioned singer-songwriter's level yet, makes a good case for himself with winners like Bounce and Risky Business. // 7

Lyrics: With all the super-processed vocal takes flooding recent releases by bands like Spill Canvas and All Time Low, it's refreshing to hear a vocalist who sounds like he's actually had some formal training. Sure, there is some Pro-Tools twinkling on High Hopes In Velvet Ropes but it's used for effect and not to compensate for lack of power or talent. Deleon's style channels Patrick Stump (Fall Out Boy) and to an even closer degree, JC Chasez of N'Sync. Yes, yes, I just mentioned N'Sync in an Ultimate-Guitar review! It might sound like a disaster on paper but the marriage of the two worlds delivers impressive results and fits the The Cab's material beautifully. Stump even produced two tracks on the album and added some vocals. The band's lyrics don't really veer to far from the kinds of themes you would expect to find on a pop-rock record. So there aren't any real surprises there but with hooks this potent, you really don't miss them. // 8

Overall Impression: As you've probably already figured out by my review, I hold vocalist, Alex Deleon in high praise here. Without his vocal command and melodic sensibility, this would be a different band all-together. Don't get me wrong, the band's musicianship is definitely accomplished on these twelve tracks and guitarist Ian Crawford really shows a lot of promise laying down colorful figures throughout. But ultimately, this is Deleon's moment. Matt Squire (The Receiving End of Sirens, Boys Like Girls) produced ten of the twelve cuts and his attention to detail serves the songs perfectly. He never let's the individual performances or general histrionics get in the way of the actual songs underneath. Sure, the album lacks the kind of bottom end and earthiness that I would have liked to find here but the intention was probably to get the band on radio and in that regard, he probably did his job. The band is reportedly going to spend the next couple of years on the road supporting this album. Hopefully the live experience will help inform their next batch of songs and help take Deleon's fine pop impulses into an even wider direction. // 7

Whisper War Reviewed by: arbocalaviv, on june 05, 2008

Sound: The Cab mixes pop-rock style guitars with piano to make a nice sound. The piano really adds to the music. I like every song on this CD almost equally, even though some vary in genres, from the Pop-Rock radio-friendly "Bounce" and "One of THOSE Nights" to the acoustic songs "Vegas Skies" and "High Hopes In Velvet Ropes". // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on Whisper War are GREAT. Some of my favorite lines are "Your mouth it moves, but fails to speak/And when you use your lips, they better be on me," "It's only a crime if I get caught," and "Singing myself to sleep (Whoa-oa-oa)/And you're still my favorite melody". Alex DeLeon (lead vocals) has an amazing voice, and it really shows in "Bounce," "Can You Keep A Secret," and "One of THOSE Nights". "One of THOSE Nights" has guest vocals from Brendon Urie of Panic at the Disco, who sings the bridge, and Patrick Stump of Fall Out Boy, who sings the chorus over an acoustic interlude. The backup vocals add a lot to the songs. In "High Hopes In Velvet Ropes," the whole song has a lot of backup vocals that perfectly complement DeLeon's voice, and in my opinion, make the song VERY catchy. // 10

Overall Impression: I think that Whisper War is hard to compare to other albums because it is so unique. Compared to Panic at the Disco's recent album, "Pretty. Odd.," I believe it is better, and catchier. I love everything about it, and there is nothing I dislike. If it were stolen or lost, I would definitely go buy it again! The best songs from the album are "ZZZZZ," "High Hopes In Velvet Ropes," and "I'm A Wonder". I recommend this album to everyone, and I also hope that it gets the radio airplay it deserves, because it is really good, but no one has heard of it yet. I've been a fan of The Cab ever since they posted "Whisper Something Fragile" on their myspace. That song is from the Glitz and Glamour EP, which is no longer made or sold. I recommend that too, if you can find it. // 10

Comments