Bend To Break Review

the color fred: Bend To Break
Release Date: Oct 30, 2007
Label: Equal Vision
Genres: Alternative Pop/Rock, Emo, Alternative Singer/Songwriter
With Bend To Break, Fred Mascherino has turned out one of the most exhilarating and gutsy solo projects in years.
 Lyrics: 8.7
Bend To Break Reviewed by: screamokid, on december 13, 2007

Sound: The Color Fred is Fred the ex-guitar player from Taking Back Sunday's new solo project. All these songs were intended for Taking Back Sunday and his older band, Breaking Pangaea. I also admired Fred as a great song writer and a great singer so I was anxious to check out his solo stuff. The album opens up with "Get Out" with an acoustic guitar. It later turns into a great rock song with Fred's shouts/screams. The next song is the band's first single, "If I Surrender". It starts out with a cool little solo and turns into a primarily bass verse. There's also the piano ballad "It Isn't Me". My personal favorite would have to be "Minnesota". It's extremely catchy and all around is great. // 10

Lyrics: I love all the lyrics. The first song "Get Out" is about a car crash. This track really hits me because in the past few months, I have had 2 friends die in a car crash, so it's kind of personal in a way. Here are some of the lyrics. "Get out, Get out, Get out, your not driving, we hit the ice, just before the telephone pole, we hit the brakes, but there was no escape". The lyrics are Taking Back Sunday-ish (He was there song writer after all), but it's more uncensored. The lyrics go really well with the music. Each song captures the mood of the lyrics, and it's really neat. Fred has gotten better at singing. His voice sounds better with The Color Fred rather then Taking Back Sunday. He has guest vocals of the live bass player PJ on a few songs as well. // 10

Overall Impression: I freakin love this CD. It kind of reminds me of mellow Bayside, old Taking Back Sunday (yes I know weird), Dashboard Confessional, and Copeland. My favorite songs are "Get Out", "If I Surrender", "Hate To See You Go", "Complaintor", "I Didn't See", and "Minnesota". I don't hate anything about the album. I listen to it about 5 or 6 times a week. I would defiantly buy this CD if I lost it or some jerk stole it. // 10

Bend To Break Reviewed by: orgasmickey, on december 17, 2007

Sound: The music itself is pretty repetitive, a very clean sound. It lacks edge even when it's trying to come off as edgy. I feel that this sound has been captured before in better ways. It might have a completely different feel in a live setting but it just seams like Fred has lazily thrown together offcuts from Taking Back Sunday's last CD and completely failed on the delivery. // 5

Lyrics: It's missing Adam Lazzara's voice. The lyrics are repetitive and simple. That's not necessarily a bad thing but the what I liked about Fred's singing was when he would swap lyrics with Adam. It doesn't work (for me) when he's singing a whole song by himself. The lyrics kinda fit well with the music. It's basically like a really weak version of Taking Back Sunday. If that's exactly what you're after well I guess you'll like it. The chorus to the song Get Out is particularly annoying. As he says 'Get Out' about 25 times. It's just a really obvious way of writing. // 6

Overall Impression: From the first track I found this CD to be quite bland and unimpressive. It just sounds really weak and repetitive. I feel like Fred Mascherino made a mistake by not staying with Taking Back Sunday. I was pretty disapointed and so I probably wont even listen to it again. Check it out if you really, really want to but otherwise I'd just wait for more Taking Back Sunday. Overall I just could not find a song I liked and wanted to listen to twice. // 4

Bend To Break Reviewed by: jersonpo02, on january 14, 2008

Sound: Taking Back Sunday was and always be my favorite band even if Fred left for "The Color Fred". So, I moved half of my interest of music on TBS to TCF by listening to the CD and wow! I was impressed by Fred's improvements in singing when he moved to folk/rock. I see nothing bad about the sound of this album since Fred has shared his true potential in solo and acoustic. // 10

Lyrics: Fred's composing of lyrics on this album is very astonishing since he was a former TBS composer/guitarist/vocalist. I noticed about "I'll Never Know" and it made me moved since this song's about trying to know what his best friend's thoughts when they're together. As the lyrics say "Why does she look at me that way, well I nearly lost a reason just like you'd lose some change, now she changed mine forever and I'll never be the same", it was really great for Fred's talent in composing such words that can create a mood which is unexpected. // 10

Overall Impression: Comparing to other albums, Bend To Break is the most expressing fold/rock album I have ever heard of because most of the songs are related to my friends and me. My favorite songs are "If I Surrender", "I Didn't See", "Empty House", "Minnesota", "It Isn't Me" and "I'll Never Know" which always reminds me of a girl that I have a crush on. I never hated anything from this album because I feel sorry for Fred because he's not that famous ever since he released this album. This would be the best album for 2007. // 10

Comments