Olidous Operettas Review

4.2
 8.3
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Olidous Operettas Reviewed by: FoulIncantation, on june 16, 2009

Sound: Olidous Operettas is the second full length released from these Deviant American Goregrinders on January 23rd, 2007, Relapse Records, with the first release being "Forensic Fugues and Medicolegal Medleys" in 2002. The track listing for Olidous Operettas is: 01.Casper's Dictum 02.Morgagnic Anatomics 03.Necrotic Apologues 04.Blunt Force Flight 05.The Virchow Postmortem Procedure 06.Expeditious Evisceratory Mishap 07.Maturating Decompositional Gas 08.Kaleidoscopic Malacia Now by reading the names of the tracks you would probably think that this is Carcass or a Carcass worship band, and you are quite right my friend. The band has stated on their Myspace that "The County Medical Examiners formed in 2001 as a Carcass tribute band. Their goal is to respectfully continue the same early sound Carcass created in the mid-to-late 80s". So if you've heard Carcass's earlier stuff you can get an idea of what it would sound like. However the sound of this is really quite good and polished something that many Goregrind bands try to avoid In My Opinion so that they can get a rusty sound similar to that of "Reek of Putrefaction" sound as I can understand since Reek of Putrefaction is f--ng awesome album. But in this case I Think it's more so of a good thing as it really brings the Guitar riffs and drums more, but this album still maintains that Dirty sound that makes it brilliant and a fun and Brutal listen. The Vocals go from a kind of Jeff Walker high growl to a Bill steer low growl (Any surprises there? lol) so there's no clean James Blunt singing here people lol, just all out brutal Goregrind and Death Metal vocals here. And It is also interesting to state that Dr. Guy Radcliffe (Vocalist and Bassist of the band) is more than 60 years old and isn't even remotely into metal or grindcore; he joined the project just for "fun." as stated on Encyclopaedia Metallum. And he does a Pretty Damn good job of it I got to say. I think album is very catchy which some of you reading this might think is weird but the truth is alot of Death metal and Goregrind acts are pretty catchy such as Cannibal Corpse, Bile, Hymen Holocaust, Regurgitate, Last Days Of Humanity and Six Feet Under And this isn't always a bad thing you know. I think that one of the Catchiest songs on this album would have to be "The Virchow Postmortem Procedure". So check it out and if you don't like then you don't like it but if you do then I don't know you can be my Friend I Guess and we can drink Orange juice while listening to Goregrind and Death Metal, lol. // 8

Lyrics: "A week in air-two weeks in water Two weeks in water-eight weeks in ground!" from "Casper's Dictum" I mean what's really not to love about TCME lyrics ? "Repulsive slab of pasty meat Torqued wide with craftsman's pride Revealing a slick tub of grime I slide my arms deftly inside" from "Morgagnic Anatomics". There's defiantly that confusing Carcass lyric side to it but really who cares? I love the lyrics and think there brilliant and also in a way Quite humorous such as "Tubs of sickly yellow fat spilled from dermal splits Carcass weighing ten less pounds from missing crime scene bits" from "Blunt Force Flight" so if none of these lyrics really appeal to you, Then listen to the music maybe that will, as I feel that Music is the first and most important thing and vocals/Lyrics to be last, but it's not a bad thing if the vocals and Lyrics are awesome too as is the case with TCME. // 9

Overall Impression: This is overall a really good Goregrind/Death Metal album with some really good Melodic Solo's chucked in here and there. Check this band out if you're Into bands like Exhumed, General Surgery, Impaled, Carcass, Regurgitate and Cattle Decapitation etc... Just don't go into to thinking that they sound exactly like all those bands except for Carcass really I guess lol. I guess stay away from this band if you don't like Goregrind or Death Metal music really, but I recommend giving it a go, you'll never now you might enjoy it as I did. And also I would actually give this album a 8 and half but there is no 8 and half only 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 etc... Thanks for Reading, hope I Did a good job on Reviewing this Album. Visit their Myspace if you want to hear what they sound like. // 8

Comments