Just Quit Trying Review

artist: The Cumshots date: 09/10/2008 category: compact discs
The Cumshots: Just Quit Trying
Released: 2006
Genre: Metal
With a highly competent and skilled band around him, The Cumshots have made a hard hitting heavy metal record with everything you'd never expect from Schau & Co.
 8.2
 8.7
 7.6
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Just Quit Trying Reviewed by: Tormedhammeren, on september 10, 2008

Sound: If you know Kristoffer Schau you might think you know what to expect with this. Trust me, you don't! Most of his previous projects have just been creating noise for the humour and the heck of it (see Hurra Torpedo), but this album sounds so much more professional, serious and grown up than everything else he's done. With a highly competent and skilled band around him, The Cumshots have made a hard hitting heavy metal record with everything you'd never expect from Schau & Co; catchy melodies, both cheerful and melancholic, and clean sing-a-long background vocals. Think Orange Goblin's heavy rock and growls crossed with early Paradise Lost, drenched in Mtorhead attitude (They would probably kill me for comparing them with Paradise Lost). // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are all about sin, violence and human decay, but with titles like 'Bitter Erection' and 'Like Pouring Salt On A Slug' I don't think you're supposed to take it all too serious. Schau's vocals are f--king killer! Sounds a lot like Ben Ward (Orange Goblin) but even deeper. What's really surprising is the fantastic background vocals courtesy of 'El Doom'. It brings so much more to the songs, and the album would probably score lower here without them. Schau's vocals are awesome, but it could get a bit tiring at times without El Doom's fresh breath of air. // 8

Overall Impression: I had NOT expected this from Kristoffer Schau and was completely blown away when I heard this record. Another band that makes me proud to be from Norway. My favourite songs are 'Like Pouring Salt On A Slug', 'I Drink Alone' and 'Bitter Erection'. If my CD was ever stolen? I'd buy two new ones just in case! // 9

Comments