Ironiclast Review

the damned things: Ironiclast
Released: Dec 14, 2010
Genre: Hard rock, heavy metal
Label: Mercury
As it turns out, 'Ironiclast' isn't quite worth the sum of its unusual parts.
 Lyrics: 8.5
 8.3
 8.1
 8.5
Ironiclast Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 14, 2011

Sound: Wow what can I say, Anthrax, FOB, ETID, members coming together. Well I am a fan of FOB and Anthrax but never have heard of ETID which is good since I wont look at this as another ETID cd. The influences of each band are very different and come toghether quite nicely. Of the three bands I would say the least heard and influenced is FOB, you really don't hear much of their kind of stuff on here, it is mostly hard hitting Anthrax like guitar work with a Thin Lizzy. I give the sound a 9 because they successfully blended their bands unique sounds together. It's hard core, bluesy at times with excellent riffs. What more can you ask for. The Album is mixed very well though I think they should have turned up the bass guitar a tad since the three guitars kind of drown it. // 9

Lyrics: Keith's singing is spot on throughout the album. He both screams, and howls at the best times and knows when to kick back the softer side. His vocals do fit snugly. I'v read reviews that state that the lyrics can be read like poetry and that they are well written. This is true, I read over every lyric of every song and all prove to be well thought out works of art that show no influence of FOB except mabye the chorus of Great Reckoning but aren't we all suckers for a ballady chorus sometimes. Keiths razor sharp vocals are definitely present on this album. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a great album if you like a mix of hard core in your face rock/metal with some surprises and genre mixing. It's pop at the right times, its metal at the right times, its rock/bluesy at the right times and showcases how great of musicians these guys are. Hurleys drumminga is great, he's like an animal behind the kit. The guitars all sound great with all three doing there jobs well. The above reviews don't do this album justice though the high points they make are correct. This album has a little of everything that most musicians would enjoy. If I lost this album I'd either buy it again or download it. I understand how pop sits with some of you musicians and if you don't like pop then I would only buy select songs on this CD by sampling em on Itunes first. // 10

Ironiclast Reviewed by: UG Team, on december 22, 2010

Sound: Think back to 2009 when the news of this project broke. We all struggled to envisage a way in which all three contributing parties (Anthrax, Fall Out Boy and Every Time I Die) could have had their voices heard on a single record. Contrary to popular belief, musicians are capable of working in more sounds than the one they are famous for, but with Ironiclast' it sounds like an explosive culture clash has left the band in a Wild West fallout. Every Time I Die's fingerprints are smeared all over this record it's their all-American swagger that gives Ironiclast' its whole aesthetic. It's a throwback to classic hard rock and blues, but one with post-modern awareness and, it's safe to say, a lot more bite than most classic rock records. Guitarist and producer Rob Cagganio's experience with metal and hardcore mixing has certainly helped him harness the power of a six-piece, three-guitar band. Going beyond that, we start to hear more melodic material and it's at this point that the album's major flaw makes itself apparent; nobody expected this to sound like Fall Out Boy and it is, right enough, a world apart in terms of timbre but those vocal hooks have forced their way in. Even with Keith Buckley's bluesy, beardy twinge they are unmistakably born from the school of Stump and Wentz. It's tune-writing ability that, while admirable, simply hasn't adapted to the rough-and-tumble of hard rock, and doesn't sit quite right in this context. // 6

Lyrics: If you need to bring a spot of class to proceedings, you can always count on ETID's Keith Buckley. His note-perfect performance renders him unrecognisable at first; with a well-oiled (and possibly sober) band behind him he doesn't fit as snugly as you may have hoped. There's no doubt that the aforementioned melodic writing is to blame for that, though, as he more than conveys his considerable talent. His lyrics are also of a high quality, and have been revised to fit the Damned Things framework. His razor-sharp tongue has, to an extent, been blunted and removed from the cheek but this album could have fallen flat on its face with an average singer and lyricist and Keith Buckley is neither of these things. // 7

Overall Impression: Forming this band was a fanciful escape from the norm for Trohman & co, but the fun factor is diluted too often to really have an impact. The album improves towards the end (Graverobber' and the title track), where Buckley finally settles into his usual mode of address, the Anthrax guitarists get down and dirty and generally everyone finds a healthy medium and sticks to it. This is the sort of thing you'd play to your dad to prove that they still make em like they used to' truth is that they don't, but Ironiclast' is a valiant effort which is worth an inspection from the curious and obsessive. At least Kerrang! TV won't be running out of music to use on ad bumpers any time soon. // 6

- Duncan Geddes aka duncang (c) 2010

Ironiclast Reviewed by: Hammerzeit, on january 05, 2011

Sound: The Damned Things could be summed up in one word: Hodgepodge. When you cast your eyes down the ingredients list you could be forgiven for at the very least raising an eyebrow. Anthrax (Rob Caggiano who co-wrote, produced and played bass in addition to lead guitars on the album and rhythm king Scott Ian), Fall Out Boy (Drummer Andy Hurley and co-songwriter Joe Trohman) and Every time I Die (Keith Buckley) are (on paper) hardly a match made in heaven and predictably Ironiclast sounds like someone has strapped all three bands to a dartboard and thrown a bull's-eye. The aggression and edgy sound of Anthrax, the sheer hard-core swagger of ETID and the pop sensibility of Fall Out Boy are all present to some extent. The resulting Frankenstein-esque creation sounds a little like Wolfmother would if they were more testicularly endowed. That said, this is a competent album. Album opener Handbook for the Recently Deceased is no slouch and provides a swift kick-off to proceedings. The big tunes are present and correct and sit neat and pretty behind the album's opening gambit. Friday Night is a high octane stormer and the twiddly harmony driven We've Got A Situation Here is only marginally less explosive. For every big tune though, there is one that smacks of filler. With a more saccharine vocal line Bad Blood could have found its way onto latter day Fall Out Boy album, which wouldn't be a bad thing if this wasn't a balls out bluesy hard rock album. Indeed, Little Darling seems out of place given that Friday Night does its job better and a few tracks earlier into the album and consequently appears uninspiring. Holistically speaking though, the pros outweigh the cons. // 7

Lyrics: When I first heard that TDT were to use Keith Buckley I was apprehensive. Widely regarded as one of the best frontmen in hardcore if not music, Buckley slips into the hard rock context in a glove like manner. His melodies hold up surprisingly well and when he does get to get his growl on he is exemplary as per usual. Anyone familiar with ETID will know the high calibre of Buckley's lyrical work and Ironiclast is no exception to this. His lyrics, while not so downright cheeky as with ETID, are engaging and read almost like poetry. Without him, this album could have struggled and while he doesn't carry it, Buckley makes it what it is. // 8

Overall Impression: Ironiclast is a good album and generally speaking it hits the spot when you consider what it is (a solid blues influenced hard rock album) and where it's come from (TDT is a side project for most of its lineup). Whilst that is a blessing, it's also where the album falls down. Ironiclast is the sum of its parts and little to nothing more. The great bands of this mortal coil are without exception more than the sum of their parts and on this showing this is not the case with The Damned Things. Ironiclast is a good album but with a cast this prestigious, we should be expecting greatness and Ironiclast doesn't offer that. // 6

Ironiclast Reviewed by: alexander_MCR, on april 13, 2011

Sound: Josh Newton & Kieth Buckley of Every Time I Die!? Scott Ian and Rob Caggiano of Anthrax!? Andy Hurley and John Trohman of Fall Out Boy!? All together in one really big "Super"group!? Well, why the hell not!!!! with 3 bands encompassing 3 main different genres (Hardcore/mathcore, Pop-rock, and thrash, obviously you'll know which band goes with genre.) you'd be mistaken for thinking this is would end up a mess, a clustered sound of all three bands, well that's a bit of yes, and a bit of no. "Ironiclast" is at heart a hard rock album. you can see the influences: the melodic catch-iness of FOB ("Bad Blood"), the heavy-technical moments of ETID ("Ironiclast"), and the powerful riffing of Anthrax. (We've Got A Situation Here") So yes, there are influences of all 3 bands, but that is not a bad thing as the album itself shows how a supergroup should be done. And how that supergroup should release its first album. // 10

Lyrics: Kieth Buckley, we all know he can scream and roar, but here he shows off his seductive and gruff singing voice, an unexpected but pleasant surprise. Also, Kieth's love of word play is evident: in the title and in "The Blues Havin' Blues." With John and Rob on lead guitars, and Scott on rhythm and sometimes lead as well, you know there is gonna be some serious riffage and shredding on this album. And you'd be right! Andy produces some great drumming that fits in with the hard rock/groove-laden scenario of TDT. // 9

Overall Impression: The only question you ask yourself after Ironiclast ends is: "Whens the next album coming out!?" This is a great, rocking record that will stand out among the music scene, not only from band's unlikely members, but because no band seems to have that "old school" feel to their music, its usually; Deathcore this, Crunkcore that. If your a fan of either of these bands or all 3, definitely pick this up, its a great record and one that you shouldn't miss out on!!!! Get on it while its hot! // 9

Comments