Grave Times Review

8.8
 8.9
 8.6
Grave Times Reviewed by: NicWinterbottom, on february 17, 2011

Sound: I bought the album from Play.com as a 2 disk special edition with the whole band's signature. Very very cool and heavy album. The band themselves have a twisted style of Metal, they are "too Goth for the Metal kids and too Metal for the Goth kids". This is an awkward situation but if you just like good, hard, heavy metal then this London born band are what you need to listen to. They are a strong, talented band and are underrated. The album was featured as a free CD with Metal Hammer and is where I first heard them. The CD includes a "Rework" of their EP 1888, and the brand new debut CD, Grave Times. // 10

Lyrics: The singer, Stitch D, is highly talented at both scream technique and melodic singing. Songs like track 4, Black Death, have a strong melodic singing style with a few screams that make the song very strong. He found a good balance with his styles. The song's lyrics are descriptive and clever as well as being emotive. They are quite dark lyrics and since the album came with a sleeve with all the lyrics, they all seem to follow a similar trend of song writing which runs through the core of the album. // 9

Overall Impression: The band are (clich alert) are in a genre of their own. You could try to compare to bands like Rammstein and Disturbed but they don't scrape the level of heaviness The Defiled have shown on this album. The use of the keyboards and guitars in harmony, the machine gun like double kicks and heavy bass with strong singing and lyrics make this album one of my favourites of any band. The start of the album is a good introduction and puts me in mind of the build up intro Apocalyptia did for Bullet For My Valentine's The Poison in the sense that it sets you in a frame of mind for the whole album. There isn't a bad song on it. I encourage you to search for them on Youtube, Call To Arms - Track 2 on the album. They are where metal should be going on a thunderwave of talent to give you an eargasm of metal. If this was lost or stolen, I'd be highly devastated since it is signed by Stitch D, A.V.D, Curse, J.C and Vincent Hyde and probably could never be replaced. Highly recommended album for any Metal fans and fans of good, solid British Metal. // 10

Grave Times Reviewed by: Bezza27, on march 08, 2011

Sound: The Defiled are one of the UK's best up and coming bands. They have a unique sound that sets them apart from their metalcore counterparts. This is done simply with their keyboardist, who adds nice little electronic and synth sounds that are subtle yet catchy. Now for someone like me, who was raised on a mixture of his dad's 80s electronic music and classic rock and metal bands like Led Zeppelin, AC/DC and Black Sabbath, this was perfect for me. The drums are very fast, but that is pretty much standard with most metal/metalcore records nowadays so bands have stopped scoring points for that in my books. The guitars and bass produce pulsing riffs that give the songs their overall tone and excellent sound. And the vocals contain a mixture between screaming, growling and clean singing. But another thing that sets these bands apart is the sound. My friends can play me one metalcore band after another and I would think it is all the same band, for me most of the screaming and growling sounds the same, and the cleans sound the same. However with The Defiled, you could play me Stitch D(Vocalist) screaming or singing and I could instantly tell you who it is. // 8

Lyrics: The Lyrics on this album are typical to say the least. There is a few songs just about death and murder and all the other metalcore set pieces. But what really stands out are the contrasts between vocal styles. With Stitch D providing the cleans and the screams The A.V.D(Keyboardist)provides the growling. And the band use this to their advantage, for the most part. Let's just get this out of the way now. I don't like bands who growl and scream too much. Thats why when I listen to bands like Children of Bodom and Bullet For My Valentine, I listen in moderation. Now some of the songs on Grave Times, I feel, growl and scream for too long, without some clean vocals to break it up. However if you are into growling and screaming it will be right up your street. // 7

Overall Impression: I got the album after seeing The Defiled supporting Murderdolls in the UK. Now I have to admit, they exceeded expectations. When I hear about them I just thought they were going to be some typical metalcore screamy shouty noise with 2 guitarists, a singer, a drummer and a bassist. All dressed in average clothing with the singer growling and doing clean vocals that sounded pop punky. Oh how I was wrong. The matching outfits. The mental keyboardist. It all screams Rock 'n' Roll. Me and my friends I went to the gig with talk more about The Defiled's performance than the Murderdolls. I got the album signed from Play.com so yes I would buy another. Well I have 2 anyway, one to keep for collectors reasons. // 9

More The Defiled reviews rating latest review