Dear Love: A Beautiful Discord Review

the devil wears prada: Dear Love: A Beautiful Discord
Release Date: Aug 22, 2006
Label: Rise
Genres: Alternative CCM, Heavy Metal
"Dear Love..." is one of the best and most talked-of debut full-lengths of the year. The Devil Wears Prada has great potential.
 8.3
 8.7
 7.9
review (1) 29 comments vote for this album:
Dear Love: A Beautiful Discord Reviewed by: rockforjesus703, on july 31, 2007

Sound: The first time I heard Mike Hranica's vocals, my eyebrows rose. I was thinking "That is the most interesting scream I've ever heard". It's not bad-no, it's great, but you'll have to hear it for yourself. The vocals and guitars are nicely in sync, the bass guitar a little hard to distinguish, the drums are awesome, especially the double bass. There are some singing parts, which is nice, too. They also have a guy on sound effects, which really adds to the album in a way no other band could really pull off. // 9

Lyrics: They are Christian, so some songs are rather religious, but then again some aren't. What I like about their songs is that instead of verses and choruses, they have it more in poetry form, which is a nice transition and contrast to other metal bands, plus if you want to memorize a song, it is much easier to memorize it when it's in poetry form. A lot of the song meanings are symbolic, and I'm really, really bad at figuring out song meanings, especially when they're in symbolic form, so I really can't help you in that area. Sorry. // 8

Overall Impression: This band would be for fans of Norma Jean, Underoath, and The Chariot, because TDWP is pretty much the same style, though they sound slightly different. Here are my opinions on the songs. 01. The Ascent - seeing as this is an intro and it has no instruments or vocals, I really can't say much except that it melts nicely into the next song. 02. Gauntlet Of Solitude - the guitars are cool, the vocals will tear your ears. It is rather short, but good. 03. Dogs Can Grow Beards All Over - I dunno, this song never really appealed to me. I just get bored of it after awhile. I like the guitar sounds, but I usually end up skipping to the next song. Mike does do some deep growling and higher, upbeat screaming, which is cool. 04. And The Sentence Trails - really awesome beginning. This is a song of variety: high screaming, deep growling, singing, violins, and sound effects all in one song-but it all sounds great together. Also some nice double bass action. 05. Rosemary Had An Accident - starts out really hard, and it is one of my favorite songs. They have this one part where there's singing and screaming at the same time, which sound really awesome. The singer is Jeremy DePoyster-he's a great vocalist. I like the part where it praises Christ. 06. Redemption - this-well, it really can't be considered a song, but it makes me think of heaven and relaxes me. 07. Swords, Dragons, And Diet Coke - another favorite. Nice guitars, deep growling that everyone loves. Very hardcore and headbanging, along with some singing parts. Very good song. 08. Who Speaks Spanish, Colon Quesadilla - you can actually hear the bass at one point in this song. I guess I'd have to say it's an average song-not a favorite-but still good. It's a little too erratic for my taste, and about two minutes in the song this wierd singing part starts that I really don't enjoy. 09. Texas Is South - in the beginning, he screams his heart out then jumps right away into deep growling, which switches once again to singing/screaming. The guitars aren't really all that prominent, they focus more on vocals for the first parts of the song. 10. Modeify The Pronunciation - irresistable pounding guitars. Some of Mike's deepest growling in the whole album appears in this song. The violins come in again in this song and make a nice addition. This is another favorite. 11. Salvation - if you're tired, you will probably fall asleep to this song (I know I have). At first, it's just quiet violins and drums, then the drums get a little more prominent and you'll hear some acoustic guitar. Then the electric guitars start-and my favorite part-the violins and electric guitars together. Then if you're asleep, you'll be woken up by some hardcore screaming. This song is a lot like underOATH's Casting Such A Thin Shadow-calm and instrumental, then a little singing, then hardcore screaming. Overall, this band would definitely be in my top ten favorite bands, but not top three. They are talented and good, no doubt about that. If you're a metal fan, you will not be dissapointed by this band. If I lost this album or it was stolen, I would definitely buy it again. No metal collection is complete without them. And some stupid movie ripped of their name! // 9

More The Devil Wears Prada reviews rating latest review