Plagues Review

9.1
 9.3
 8.8
Plagues Reviewed by: Hofstetter, on december 22, 2007

Sound: The musicianship on this CD is great. It might not be the most technical stuff out there but it is some of the best for the genre. The guitars go from pure and clean to hellacious distortion without losing any quality in the sound. All the instruments are equally heard on every track. They did a great job recording and mastering. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this CD are amazing. The words match the feelings of the songs almost perfectly. The screams are awesome. They range from death metal growls to screamo highs and the clean singing in this CD are top notch. They mix with the screams so perfectly that the songs are brutal yet soothing at the same time. I don't know how they managed that but I love that they did. // 9

Overall Impression: When it comes to metalcore these guys should be at the top of everyones list. I would almost certainly put them up against any other metalcore band out on the market today. I recomend that anyone that likes music they can move to should buy this CD. And if not then you should at least check out the song HTML Rulez D00D and Reptar. King Of The Ozone. // 10

Plagues Reviewed by: Headbanger_1, on september 20, 2007

Sound: This is The Devil Wears Prada at its heaviest! They've undergone change into a whole new level of melodic death metal. Complete with gutteral screams as well as the same old vocal chord crushing heavy screams from before. Musicianship is at an all time high here. Daniel Williams has definately taken time to work on his playing, because the drums here are epic. Chris Rubey and Jeremy DePoyster have also taken their time on these guitar parts. Melodically, the band has definately expanded. Take a good look at songs like HTML Rulez D00d and Hey John, What's Your Name Again. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are amazing on this CD. While not amazingly long, and sometimes repetative, they dive into all types of things, from becoming fashion obsessed to burning down a building, while at the same time remaining a christian record. Not something many bands can pull off succesfully. Mike Hranica is an amazing lyricist. // 10

Overall Impression: This has got to be one of the best metal CDs of the year. Standout songs on the disc have gotta be Hey John, What's Your Name Again? and You Can't Spell Crap Without "C". While all of the songs are amazing, those stood out to me the most. Nothing to hate about this CD, it's definately gonna be played a lot. If this CD were lost or stolen I'd definately buy it again. // 10

Plagues Reviewed by: ben_trivium, on september 21, 2007

Sound: The Devil Wears Prada are improving even more, "Dear Love: A Beautiful Discord" was pure gold, mainly because many of the things they did were original especially in this type of genre. The guitar riff's at times can be a bit sloppy, but 9/10 times they sound great with the tone of the bass backing it up. You'll find sometimes that the guitar and bass play exactly the same thing, this gives them a real quality sound as it's not exactly commonplace for the bass and guitar to play the same riff's at the same speed. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are what separate the men from the boys, true quality is seen and heard especially when screaming and singing mix together, with a low pitch screamer and (at times) a very high pitch singer you bound to get a messy sound, but not with TDWP, they've really thought about their sound and they've come through on top with Plagues, the lyrics at some point's can be extremely random, also like the song titles. This shouldn't put you off though, I really recommend listening to this album. // 10

Overall Impression: The main thing I can say about this album is, it's so different to any type of post hardcore/metal or whatever you class it as, they've really changed the way a lot of bands play, also many other Christian band's are starting to emerge from the underground. The one thing that disappoints me is the ridiculous song names e.g. "Goats On A Boat". I know it is pathetic to point out such a minor thing, but I just believe that with such a great sound they should take these things a little more seriously, with this said go out and buy it! it's worth it. // 10

Plagues Reviewed by: FleshyPickle, on february 02, 2009

Sound: Let me start this by saying "Plagues" is more hardcore, lyrical, and down right better then there last CD "Dear Love: A Beautiful Discord".Mike does his best in every song keeping you more and more addicted to this album, Jeremy sings his heart out, Chris has much improved in guitar, James accurately comes in at the right spots in the songs unlike in there last album they forced him in some parts just to be there, Andy can't always be heard on bass but when he is it's nothing but good and Daniel goes all out with breathtaking drums.You may find a band that sounds kinda close to TDWP, but none that has there great sound. // 10

Lyrics: Tdwp is a Christan band so they do talk about God and all.The lyrics don't matter to much with bands like Tdwp, because most metal heads will just me moshing, hardcore dancing, and going crazy to there sound.Also the best lyrics are in "Hey john, what's your name again?" So listen to that if you want lyrics. // 9

Overall Impression: "Plagues" as I said in sound is them at there best.Now to me there best song is "Html rulez d00d".I'm gonna run down a list of the songs and tell you what I think of them. 01.Goats on a boat: the song starts off with hard guitar and drums and mike screaming a lot which is what the song mainly is.there's some piano thrown in there which sounds cool and goes good and also almost in the middle of the song there is a cool guitar and bass part. 02.Number three, never forget: this song starts off with Jeremy singing which is cool because it's the only song that does that.The song slows down a little and it includes more of Jeremy singing.This is one of the best songs.Also it leads into the next track nicely. 03.Html rulez dood: as I said there best and also maybe the hardest song on the album.The breakdown is great, and I mean great. 04.Hey john, what your name again: the second best song on the album.The screaming part in the middle is intense and at the same time breathtaking and Jeremy throws down great vocals. 05.Don't dink and dance: starts with Mike screaming then leads up to a breakdown in which Mike does a great job.I dig the ending of the song just cause it sounds like nothing I've ever heard. 06.You can't spell crap without the C it starts with some cool guitar which leads up to Mike doing his thing.AT about:45 to:56 mike sounds so good that I just replay that part over and over.The song could have been a little better towards the end, but it is still good. 07.This song is called: the song starts with great piano.The song is the softest and slowest song.It is not the best song, but it blends in with the album good to give you a break from the constant screaming.(but the screaming is great) 08.Reptar king of the ozone: yes, the song named after a rugrats episode that may sound like it belongs on a Jonas brothers cd, but it is great in every way and great guitar I must say. 09.The scorpion deathlock: I like this song I really do it just it's not ranked as high as the other songs the screaming is good, but it sounds to much the same as every other song. 10.Nickels is money too: great way to end the cd.Starts off quiet for a few seconds, but that all changes.Jeremy is at his best and the ending is just so nice it put a smile on my face. Now that's all the songs on the CD and yes if I lost it I would go and buy it again.I recommend buying the re-release because it comes with a great DVD of them live and backstage.Also it comes with the music videos of "html rulez d00d", and "hey john, what's your name again?". This CD made them my favorite band at the moment so go buy it! // 10

Plagues Reviewed by: cakeamuffin, on november 19, 2012

Sound: I have to start off by saying this album has fantastic production quality, producer Joey Sturgis at his best! The production doesn't sound too raw, but at the same time it's not overproduced. The guitar and bass tones are extremely heavy (as are the breakdowns), and the drums have just the right amount of reverb. All the songs blend into each other, making the album seem more whole as opposed to a random mess of songs just thrown onto a CD. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on "Plagues" are very poetic and thought-provoking. However, this makes them somewhat difficult for the average listener to understand. But the listener can use this to their advantage by interpreting their own meaning, even multiple meanings, for each song. The lyrics fit well with the music, as both the music and the lyrics are dark and poetic. Mike Hranica also masters the art of screaming, combining ear-piercing highs with lows so brutal they could knock a wild bull out cold. Clean singer Jeremy DePoyster also balances out the brutality with his seductive melodies, giving you the feeling you've been ensnared in a wonderful dream. // 9

Overall Impression: Whether you've been a fan of metalcore for as long as you can remember or if you're just starting to get into the genre, "Plagues" is a must-have album. As the first heavy album I ever had the pleasure of listening to, it sets the standard for any metalcore album and will always stand strong as my number one favourite. Unlike many of today's metalcore albums, the breakdowns really stand out and the screams are far from generic (in fact, they are exceptional). But perhaps the greatest thing about this album that separates it from any other in the genre is its sheer sense of unpredictability. You never know what's going to happen next, giving you a feeling of euphoria and anticipation the whole way through. All the songs are unique in their own way, but my personal favorites are "Goats On A Boat", "Hey John, What's Your Name Again?", and "Reptar, King Of The Ozone". // 10

Plagues Reviewed by: AmpleSteak, on september 29, 2007

Sound: First of all let me say this; Plagues is hardcore, metalcore, and Christian metal at it's best. The band is a 6 piece 2 guitarists, a bassist, a drummer, a keyboardist, and probably the best screamer by far in this genre. Plagues is a completely different league from their debut "Dear Love: A Beautiful Discord". // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are outstanding on this album. They all have deep meaning and Christian themes to all of there songs the screamer of TDWP is really an amazing lyricist. One of the best part of this album would have to be the amazing clean vocals and amazing gut wrenching screams. // 10

Overall Impression: Every song on Plagues is amazing, the songs that stand out are "HTML RULEZ D00D", "You Can't Spell Crap Without "C"", and "Nickels Is Money Too". There is only one song I never really liked and that's "Don't Drink And Drance" because there isn't enough melody but the breakdown in the end makes up for it. I love the keyboard element to this album in parts like the break down in "Goats On A Boat" with the organ or the ending of "Nickels Is Money Too" which is my personal favourite part of the whole album. I have no complaints about this album it's hardcore at it's best. If I got robbed or lost this album I'd buy it again. // 10

Plagues Reviewed by: SinisterScythe, on december 03, 2007

Sound: The band is Christian metalcore, There music is incredible they write so much complex stuff I am overwhelmed with this new CD they just released. This album is better then there first one dear love a beautiful discord. I am very stunned how they did on this new one, I personally thought they where going to make it sound the same but I bought it and it sounded so much different new styles, soundings vocals. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are just like any other Christian band out there about god and the heavens, I personally like this and the best part they scream them, There lyrics go with there music and sound. There vocalist Mike has outstanding vocals. They mix there vocals with clean and screaming lyrics at times. My impression of these lyrics would be that to keep them up cause they are really good and I am stunned with these lyrics again also, Just like there first album. // 10

Overall Impression: They compare a little bit like norma jean I'd have to say but not the vocals or guitars just the drums and bass lines. The songs on the album are funny like the first album they do that to be who they want "don't dink and drance" I mean people take it seriously but it's what they want it to be. I love this album because the new sound and lyrics they put into this and overall there effort. I dislike the minimal soloing and to much of the same style in some of the songs they need to work on there sounding for different songs. I would totally get this album again not because it's overall good, because I want to support them so they can make better ones in the future. I suggest this album to anyone who loves metalcore for what it is and not what they are. And whoever likes chirstian metal. // 9

Plagues Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 06, 2009

Sound: I've had this album for around a year now and I've listened to it thoughly enough to think I can write a fairly good picture of what you could expect from the album. this band is "christian metalcore" (not that the fact that they are christian really matters) so you for the most part know what you're getting into. Heavy riffs, break-downs, tight drum work, "brutal" vocals, and just to be a bit different, some synth and keyboards. Though this is all well excecuted music, it's not by any means very impressive. but hey, not eveybody can be BTBAM, am I right? (I'm right) // 8

Lyrics: The other reviews have claimed that the lyrics are excellent. I'm sorry, but if you have to go to the little booklet to understand what a guy is saying, lyrics are obviously not a high priority to this band. I'll admitt it's impressive that there vocalist actually knows quotes from great litarary minds such as Will Shakespear and Oscar Wilde. Good for him. if I had some golden stars to give him, I would, but that's not a reason to say his lyrics are good. if vocal deliverance make the lyrics hard (if not impossible) to understand, then that makes if hard (if not impossible ) to give a good review on them. on the other hand, I don't really mind, because I'm listening to metal(ish) music, I'm not hear for a fu*king poetry reading, the music conveys the emotions just fine as does the vocal proformance (which is excellent, as long as you can appreiciate death growls). but bottom line, don't listen for the lyrics, your wasting valuble time that could be spent moshing. // 4

Overall Impression: Ths is a good album, don't get me wrong. the members obviously know how to play amd the vocals are pretty good (I forgot to mention the guest vocals on "you can't spell crap with out 'c'" from craig owens which was pretty awesome.) and even though the clean vocals are definetly auto tuned, they add another dimesion to the music which works well.this is a solid album and a welcomed addition to any screamo fan's collection. Go out and buy it (Itunes doesn't count dipshits, get the CD.The band gets more money that way and you actually have something to prove you bought the album.) P.S. Sorry about the many typos and grammarical errors I'm a terribly speller and I write like I speak, which is like a 17 year old who doodles during most of school. // 8

Plagues Reviewed by: metalcoredude39, on february 21, 2011

Sound: TDWP has everything you'd expect from a 2000's metalcore band. Screaming, harmonized riffs, and breakdowns. Like most metalcore the songs all seem to stick to the same similar style, which can make it confusing when it comes to telling the songs apart. But this is a good thing, because after listening to the album you feel as if you just got off a 30-minute rollercoaster. On this album, there is a suprise around every corner. With "Reptar, King of the Ozone" being the only song on the album that follows standard verse-chorus form, it is almost impossible to predict what they will play next. // 9

Lyrics: This is no praise band. But TDWP mostly writes lyrics about struggles Christians go through. Therefore, its good. The album's lyrics are insanely vague, yet they make so much sense at the same time. Hahaha. Mike Hranica is an amazing screamer. He has well defined highs, mids and lows, and frequently alternates between the 3 ranges. Jeremy DePoyster, the clean vocalist and guitarist delivers melodic vocals at the appropriate times, and does a kickass job of it. And that is what is so amazing about this band. They can switch from heavy, brutal breakdown and riffs to a quiet, melodic chorus/bridge without making you think you've switched songs or something. // 9

Overall Impression: I really don't know what bands to compare these guys to. They have developed their own sound. As a huge metalcore fan, I've never heard anything exactly like them. The album's standout tracks are Hey John, This Song is Called, and Reptar King of the Ozone. Basically, if you love brutal harmonized riffs, breakdowns, and beautiful melodies you should definitely get this album. // 8

More The Devil Wears Prada reviews rating latest review