Akeldama Review

8.9
 8.2
 9.6
Akeldama Reviewed by: Upon_Belail, on march 10, 2009

Sound: The Faceless are a brutal kick you in the balls then say they're sorry while right after proceeding to do so again type of band. Each song puts out exactly what you would expect to be heard out of typical tech death metal band, fast and technical drumming(Nick Pierce), accompanied by brutal and crazily relentless guitar(Micheal Keene, Steve Jones) riffs through out the entire album(Leica, All Dark Graves) then have a certain melodic touch that just seems to make you want to smile in pure inebriation(the rest of the album).There are also parts that have accompanying keyboard pieces that fit in nicely. The album has a instrumental song(akeldama) which unfortunately I find myself skipping over more then others because of a very misused vocoder piece used at the beginning and towards the end, but don't get me wrong otherwise akeldama is the most versatile song on the album and is actually quite good. // 9

Lyrics: Typical death metal lyrics about death, murder all that fun stuff not uplifting but hey it wouldn't be death metal with out them.The albums vocalist Derek Ryduist has hella f--kin balls to the wall awesome low growls then the partnering higher pitch growls that anyone would wish they had. I would not call them deathcore but hey if really want to, then whatever helps you sleep at night.He does a formidable performance through out the entire album.The growling is accompanied by some brief clean vocals(Pestilence) which does not sound half bad. For some though I fear will act as though he committed blasphemy by not following the standard death metal vocal code.The only thing that should have been left out was the vocoder piece in the albums self titled song that just seems to radiate a incredibly cheesy vibe. // 8

Overall Impression: Ah overall an extremely satisfying album every song brings something to the table, if you like death metal you will love this album and wish there were more albums out there like it, and if you don't then go dig up your grand papa's marching band records and give them a go through because you would most like enjoy them. If it was lost or stolen, I would buy one for my car, one for my friends car, and f--k it buy another thirty as Christmas presents for friends and family. // 9

Akeldama Reviewed by: lesken100, on january 21, 2011

Sound: OK, I'm up to my second checkpoint in my mission to deepdelve into the scene of the kids, and this time I'm up for another surprise. The deja vu is not here! I am listening to technical death metal and the deja vu ain't here! As soon as I take a ride on the opener, "An autopsy" I am struck by its sheer power as the second guitar enters and slam me out of my seat. The cd looks promising so far. Actually, there is nothing bad to say about the first five tracks! The outstanding ones are "an autopsy" and the "horizons of chaos" songs, showcasing both difficult time signatures, expert musicians, and clever passages. But on "Leica", things start to cross from death to metalcore a bit too often, and even the faceless can`t pull off something worthwhile within the metalcore borders. It has it`s moments, but it`s way to generic. The title song is an instrumental (almost) with only some alien vocals now and then. The inclusion of keyboards shows to be a both clever and stupid idea, as sometimes it lifts the atmosphere very nice, and sometimes just f%k it up. The random climpering somewhere around two minutes into the song is unnecessary, but the ambient effects and the dual playing with the guitar is rather awesome. The song is pretty good at times and shows the world what it would have sounded like if dream theater went death metal. The last song, "Ghost of a stranger" is just above average, with some cool moments, but also the occational metalcore-ish moments. But overall, this album is more than worth a listen! // 8

Lyrics: This is death metal, so of course there is going to be lyrics about damnation and death. The lyrics are nothing special, just what I expected. The vocal performance is pretty well pulled off. The low growls and grunts, especially the grunts in the title song, are phenomenal, even though the higher pitched screams could have sounded more powerful. The vocal performance drag this shit over average. // 7

Overall Impression: This kind of music can be compared to a lot of other bands, but not many others does it this good. The opening song, the "Horizons of chaos" series and "Akeldama" is the most impressive songs, and they are certainly worth a couple of listens. The album is relatively short though, at 30 minutes, but that just means that they don`t tire you out. I want this CD pretty bad, and if I find it at a store, I will definetly buy it. Now the mission for you guys is to manage to play this difficult shit live! // 8

More The Faceless reviews rating latest review