Planetary Duality Review

9.5
 9.2
 9.7
Planetary Duality Reviewed by: guitar_jew, on september 08, 2009

Sound: Planetary Duality. The title implies science fiction, which is relatively prevalent throughout the album, with song titles such as 'XenoChrist' and 'Shape Shifters.' The album opens with the short, hard hitting Prison Born, with its blisteringly fast fills and stop-rhythm chorus. Michael Keene's guitar performance throughout the record is extremely well-constructed, with some of the best melody lines you've ever heard on a death metal album, such as in 'Coldly Calculated Design' and 'The Ancient Covenant.' The medley that is the title track is an extremely effective dose of ambience in the first movement, and unforgiving death metal in the second. Lyle Cooper's drumming is just outright fantastic, if only for the fact that the drumming fits in with the music, even among the complex time signature changes. The bass is barely noticeable, except for the tapping fill that opens 'The Ancient Covenant.' // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are typical death metal fare, but the way in which they are presented are what really prevent the album from ever becoming monotonous. You've got the standard growling and shrieking for most of the album, but amidst this, there are sections where the vocals take on a 'robot' sound, and even some bits where Keene takes on some clean singing, which lends to the songs extremely effectively, without sounding horribly out of place, except for one instance in 'Sons of Belial,' which isn't, by any means, a bad song. The clean vocals are an extremely welcome change from typical death metal, especially in that they don't sound like something you'd find on a Killswitch Engage record. // 8

Overall Impression: Several fans have complained that the album is too short. But that's th beauty of it. You can listen to the whole thing without getting bored, or being unable to differentiate between two songs. Because Planetary Duality is so short, it saves itself from the monotony that plagues even the best of death metal records. All in all, it's an excellent album. I definitely recommend it to anyone who appreciates a good death metal band, but isn't closed-minded to some unusual aspects of the music. // 9

Planetary Duality Reviewed by: deathmetalmann, on november 12, 2008

Sound: The guitars on The Faceless's new album, tone wise are very nice. The drum mix is a little loud at times, and it blocks out the guitars but you can still hear them most of the time and solo's are always nice and clear. They still hold on to thier Technical Death Metal label with intense runs, blazing speed, and some very nice riffs that grab you and don't let go. I heard more Black Metal influence guitar, drum, and ambience wise later in the album. Drums on this album, are as on the last album; impressive. Super fast double bass, with some creative fills. Like mentioned before, it seems in some songs that the drums and snare are a little too loud. Vocal wise, the volume at times was a hair quiet, screaming was still very good. The robotic vocals, sounded a bit nasaly somehow. I prefer the Demo version of "The Ancient Covenant" robotic vocals. Overall sound production, at times I think there was too much production put into this album. // 9

Lyrics: I enjoyed the story to this album. Good use of language, they didn't throw in too many, what can be percieved to be "big words". The lyrics did a good job of painting the picture I think the band wanted people to see. In compliance with the music, everything fit together pretty well. The man's speaking introduction ("Planetary Duality" Part 1) was a good buildup to the 2nd part. Screaming skills, nothing different from "Akeldama". Nice layering in some areas. Singing wise, I didn't feel that some of the singing parts fit the album at times. Especially in "Sons of Belial" it just didn't sound like it fit in this genre of music. I appreciate the need for change although. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is too short! It lifts you up quickly and then lets you down as quickly as it brought you up! There are some very very nice moments on this album. The most impressive songs I would have to say are "The Ancient Covenant", the short "Prison Born" and "Legion of the Serpent". I like the slight Black Metal influence in some songs and the piano part in "Legion of the Serpent". Like mentioned before, I dislike the drum volume and the slight overproduced sound. But, other than that, the ambience, mood, tone, and everything else is very well structured and stands out well. As short as it is, I would buy it again if something were to happen to my copy. // 8

Planetary Duality Reviewed by: d3cr3p1tb1rth, on november 25, 2011

Sound: The sound of The Faceless's 2nd studio album is beyond imaginable, it is so good, the guitars are legit, drumming is awesome, and you can never forget the vox of the faceless no doubt about that for sure, the style in this album is Technical Death Metal, which is a sub genre of Death metal, I would give props mostly too xenochrist and planetary duality part one and two, I'm saying the whole album is pretty amazing but I would think these would be my 2 favorite out of the whole album. "A virgin womb defiled with the slithering parasitic seed of the Xenochrist", this lyric speaks to me for sure, this lyric is from "Xenochrist". Props to The Faceless for making this amazing album, thank you very much... The Faceless has clear sound, including vox, guitar, synthesizers, drums, bass. They have a very unique sound in the technical death metal sub-genre. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are just not imaginable, and when you listen to the deep vox of Derek "Demon Carcass" Rydquist which was the old singer of The Faceless (2006-2011). Skills are pretty amazing, I give him props for every song he has sung, amazing vox I say! The vox go so good with the bands sound it fits in so perfectly, it is unbelievable. // 10

Overall Impression: Well personally I can see the difference from "Akeldama", but I like "Planetary Duality" and "Akeldama" the same in my opinion. I can't compare, I think each band has its own sound and quality, so I cannot compare The Faceless from any other death metal band. In my opinion I would pick "Coldly Calculated Design", "Xenochrist", and "Planetary Duality Part 1" and "2". If the record got stolen that I have boughten, first sh-tkick them to the curb, then take it back, if I can't take it back then I will buy a new one no problem, oh hell if I lost/broken/got stolen this album, I would just buy a new one I don't care I love this band. // 10

More The Faceless reviews rating latest review