Electric Arguments Review

the fireman: Electric Arguments
Released: Nov 24, 2008
Genre: Ambient Electronic, Pop, Psychedelic Rock
Label: MPL, ATO Records
Electric Arguments is the third album by The Fireman, an experimental music duo comprising Paul McCartney and producer Youth.
 8.1
 9.1
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Electric Arguments Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 06, 2009

Sound: Firstly, this is the new album by Sir Paul McCartney, playing with the band Youth, under the name The Fireman. This is the band's third album together, and their strongest. But it is by far, my least favorite Paul McCartney album. It is an album that tries to do too much with too little insperation. Paul said that they started in early '08, working on a song when he ran into Youth at the recording studio, they then spent 13 days together, and made 13 songs. Sound a bit rushed? It is, trust me. Overall the sounds of the album are great, everything from hard rock, to softer blues-rock, to even some techno-sounding stuff. But the sounds have nothing to back them up sadly. The album is well produced, and recorded well, but kind of strange in what it attempts to be. // 9

Lyrics: This is the part where the album fails. Most of the songs I wanted to like ("Two Magpies" "Nothing too Much Just out of Sight" "Light from your Lighthouse") I didn't really. Now don't take me wrong, all of them are fun and easy to listen too because there's not too much to process, but after "Memory Almost Full," I expected more of Paul. The highlights of the album are: "Sing the Changes" "Highway" and "Dance 'til We're High." But none are as great as "Only Mama Knows" or "Band on the Run." With songs like "Light from your Lighthouse," they played with the sound too much and not the lyrics, and they layering of his voice in different octaves, and distortion, is just odd. Then there are too many slow songs for my taste. Overall the lyrics just lack gut. The premises of the songs are good, it's the way they went about them, that isn't as good. // 5

Overall Impression: I have a hard time saying, I don't like an album by Paul McCartney, because some are John Lennon nuts, but I'm a McCartney fan. So it makes it hard to say that while I enjoyed getting a new album from him, it just wasn't what I expected, when I got it. And it mostly had to do with lyrics, so if you're looking for a good album to start on McCartney with take it from a fan, get Memory Almost Full, and Band on the Run, my favorite McCarney albums ever. Or you could just get SGT. Pepper's, and the White Album, and enjoy some oldschool McCartney. I may be a young Beatles and McCartney fan at the time of writing (17) but I', a big one, and this just wasn't what I wanted from my favorite Beatle. // 7

Comments