Here We Stand Review

the fratellis: Here We Stand
Release Date: Jun 9, 2008
Label: Island
Genres: Indie Rock
On Costello Music, the Fratellis sounded like a ragtag gang, churning out pint-hoisting anthems with anything goes charm and creativity.
 Lyrics: 9.3
 8.7
 9.2
 8.1
Here We Stand Reviewed by: Bozjoarmstrong, on june 12, 2008

Sound: The Fratellis find themselves in quite a pickle. You can tell by the sound on the new album 'Here We Stand' they want to progress with their music, yet they don't want to betray their fans by eliminating those catchy hooks and pounding choruses that they are loved for. On top of this, they have to steer clear of 'Second Album Syndrome' and of course try to live up to the expectations that Costello Music left behind. For a band in this situation The Fratellis have done pretty damn well. The first things I noticed were the edgier feel to the music, the use of a piano and perhaps most importantly the non-power-chord-dominated riffs. John's guitar work really comes into it's own on songs such as 'My Friend John', 'Tell Me A Lie'and 'Lupe Brown' and his voice is clearly much more powerful here, evident in songs such as 'Look Out Sunshine! ' (which includes a powerfully upbeat key change). The Fratellis created what was seemingly a genre of their own on Costello Music and it looks as though they've done it again with Here We Stand. // 9

Lyrics: I have always been a big fan of The Fratellis' lyrics, telling stories of nights on the town and past girlfriends, but I also love the way these stories are told, at times John's voice can move a mile a minute, but he is also more than capable of blasting out anthemic ballads such as 'Look Out Sunshine!' and 'Milk And Money'. In ways the lyrics are very much the same as they were in Costello Music, this being the only way in which the Fratellis have not advanced. In all fairness they didn't need to. // 8

Overall Impression: My Friend John-A fantastic choice to open the album. As soon as the drum intro kicks in the listener knows that they are in for somethig new and the riff that follows is simply irresistable. Probably my favourite from the album. A Heady Tale-Opens with a catchy piano hook which runs throughout the verses and has a superb chorus which every Fratelli fan will love. Shameless-Features a superb riff and John's guitar skills are displayed really well in this song. With an an anthemic chorus on top of this, this is another highlight of the album. Look Out Sunshine! -A real anthemic song which always puts me in a great mood, you simply have to smile when listening to it. Includes the ultimate upbeat key change for the last chorus. Stragglers Moon-Perhaps the most obvious effort of a pop hit on the album with it's repetetive hook of 'She can't help it', 'The girl can't help it' yet this is set on a background of a more grunge/blues styled guitar line. Grows on you after a few listens. Mistress Mabel-The first single from the album of course, and another one you will be very fond of after a few listens, features a classic Fratellis riff and a Chorus which is sure to get crowds screaming at the top of their lungs. Jesus Stole My Baby-The 'Doginabag' of this album, a catchy blues riff and of course some great lyrics. Babydoll-A beautiful ballad from John. May not hit you at full force the first time round, but this is a really sweet song and one of the best on the album. Tell Me A Lie-With a heavy riff, a speedalong verse and John displaying the full capabilities of his voice this is yet another album highlight. Acid Jazz Singer-Nothing really to stand out from the rest of the album but once again, there's some nice guitar work and a great chorus. Lupe Brown-I really love the riff at the start of this song, but you don't hear much more of it through the song, but the solo at the end is terrific but what's inbetween is nothing special compared to the rest of the album. Milk And Money-John's voice is amazing here and there are some really nice piano riffs. This song more than any other really demonstrates just how far The Fratellis have come over the past two years. Despite what some say, The Fratellis are in a league of their own, different from all the Indie bands on the British music scene, they just have a joyous, upbeat quality that no other band can bring. Having said that however, those Fratellis "fans" who never saw past the 'Der Der Der's' of Chelsea Dagger will probably not like this album. Those who truly saw the Fratellis for what they were (I like to think I am one of these people) will love it. It doesn't quite match up to the genius of Costello Music, but let's face it, what does? // 9

Here We Stand Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 13, 2008

Sound: I loved the sound on the first album. It was bouncy, upbeat and most importantly fun. I was hoping (praying) that they hadnt lost the fun and managed to keep the manic energy that they captured on their first album and glad to see they haven't lost any of it. My first impression was that it was more rockier and less poppy than the first album but still managed to maitain it's own identity and not copy another bands sound like certain other bands (courteeners this means you). The guitar playing seems to have improved a hell of a lot particularly on lupe brown and my friend john while the drums and bass are all excellent with the piano in the background but not being overshadowed or overshadowing what else is going on. // 9

Lyrics: I always like lyrics about nights out as long as there fun and not too serious and once again the fratellis have struck gold with this. They are more varied, more thought provoking and also the singing is better as well. My only complaint about the singing is that at times (ok on my friend john) they sound a bit like arctic monkeys. While I like arctic monkeys the fratellis are more unique and I prefer the music on fratellis. Ok that might be me being stupidly picky and trying to find fault when there isnt any but still. His vice has improved a lot since the first album and while it might not be the best voice it goes so well with the music, just like antony keidis in the chilli peppers. Not the best voices but works well for the band. // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to there previous album the instrument playing is a big step up and there is more variety in there songs. Lupe Brown sticks in my mind particularly for the outro solo that someone like brian may would be proud of. The whole album is excellent and they have got the song order bang on the money. There is less dadadada which while good did get a wee bit annoying after a while. The best songs are My Friend John, A heady Tale, Stragglers Moon and Lupe Brown with not a bad song in sight. There is nothing I hate about this album and am probably gonna go deaf cos of how loud I'm playing it which will be a shame cos it's a truly great album. Forget Killers, Razorlight, Arctic Monkeys and the new indie bands this band will soundtrack the next 10 years and I predict the will be as big as oasis in a couple more years. Also I don't know if anyone else has thought this but it does sound like something that would be played at a festival in the afternoon sun. If they played this at reading festival with nothing else I would be very happy. But as it is they have got great songs such as flathead and henrietta and I am fully expecting them to steal the show at reading festival this year. Forget RATM, Killers, Metalica this is the band you want to look out for. They will steal the show. The. Fratellis. Rock! // 10

Here We Stand Reviewed by: mumbles36, on june 19, 2008

Sound: Ok so, I've been a Fratellis fan ever since they first came out, they we're the first indie band I really took notice. In this album you can tell that the 'Fratellis Sound' has really moved on from the happy bouncing tunes like 'Chelsea Dagger' and onto something with more drive in the music. All the songs seem to have a story behind them, from Jesus to the Circus. A lot of the songs on this album have a Beatles sound to them which really suits the album. To be honest, this album isn't better than 'Costello Music' but it is on the same level, it's equally as good. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics, yet again, are fantastic, easily on par with the first album. The happy lyrics are still there and the song are still happy tune. The lyrics compliment the music perfectly, for example:- "Tell Me a Lie" has real driving intro, but the verse melody is like "Creeping up the Backstairs". It's a fantastic combination. Jon's voice has really developed since the last album and it's got a lot stronger, this can be heard in songs like "Look out Sunshine" and "A Heady Tale." // 10

Overall Impression: I think it compares to the first album in the fact that it isn't as bouncy as the first album but the sound is still there, it's just developed. The best songs on the album are 'Tell me a lie', 'My friend john' and a lovely acoustic number from Jon: 'Babydoll'. I love the songs, they're just different too all the other usual indie stuff. The only thing I don't like is that I miss the 'bouncieness' of the songs. If it got broke or anything like that, I would definitely buy it again or copy it from my friends. // 9

More The Fratellis reviews rating latest review