The Fray Review

the fray: The Fray
Released: Feb 3, 2009
Genre: Alternative Rock, Indie Rock
Label: Epic
The Fray is the second full-length studio album from Denver-based band The Fray.
 Lyrics: 8.5
 8.6
 8.2
The Fray Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 12, 2009

Sound: The Fray is the self titled second album from the critically acclaimed Denver Piano-Rock group. The group advanced their sound from their previous record, How TO Save A Life. The story is the same for the most part, mostly about love and a lot of pain. There is a very roots piano rock vibe the the record. This is a great follow up record to one of my favorite bands. As far as instruments, the drums take on a little bigger role, with more difficult beats mixed in, while the bass is mostly the same. The guitars are a little more prominent, with the lead mostly picking riffs and the rhythm playing along on either an acoustic or electric(in which case he is also playing more of a lead part.) // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this record are a lot like how to save a life. There are spots of brilliance, however. The biggest stand out track to me is Happiness, which is a primarily acoustic song that is one of the most well written songs I have ever heard. I have seen the fray twice live, and they played this song both times. Issac Slade, the lead singer, seems to have developed his skills better of over well, and the backup singer, Joe King, has taken on more of a role in the album as well. // 8

Overall Impression: This album reminds me of such bands as counting crows amongst others. The album definitely moves more than how to save a life, with an almost danceable beat for a lot of the time. The overall sound of this album is great, and I am very satisfied with it. My overall impression of this album is very good. // 9

The Fray Reviewed by: AwesomeDrummer, on january 25, 2010

Sound: Hailing from Denver, "The Fray" are a four piece piano-rock band lead by Pianist & lead vocalist Issac Slade. After finding mainstream success with the singles "Over my head (cable car)" & "How to save a life", the quartet spent four years without releasing another record. In 2009 however, out came their sophomore album, which was unusually self-titled, which gathered similar success to it's predecessor & helped enforce the idea that they were fast becoming the leaders of their genre. "The Fray" consists of numerous mid-tempo songs, a trait that has become all too familiar within the quartet's song-writing, as well somber & regretful lyrics. Though the same formula is often used through-out, this album sees "The Fray" lift things up a notch, with guitar becoming far more prominent & Joe King having more to add with harmonies. // 7

Lyrics: Issac Slade & Joe King are said to be the main writers, and though they tend to stick around the same themes, they are very strong in their areas & provide more than an appropriate idea for the listener. Issac manages his range excellently, having a nice rasp & uniqueness to his voice, as well as an exceptional falsetto as shown in parts of the ballad "Never Say Never". Joe King adds an extra layer of glitter to the mix with his harmonies as shown in tracks such as "Syndicate", and is even given a full track to show his ability on "Holy Hour", where he too shows his ability to provide falsetto. // 9

Overall Impression: "The Fray" feels a lot like the second half of "How To Save A Life", if not for the extra presence of guitarist Dave Welsh & occasional interesting beat as provided by Ben Wysocki. Though this formula has provided them much success, it's hard to believe that they have long before many begin to catch on. Tracks such as "We Build Then We Break" are a very welcome difference, featuring far more aggression than previously the quartet has shown. Including the previous, notable tracks include "Say When", "Syndicate" and "Never Say Never". // 7

More The Fray reviews rating latest review