Get What You Give Review

8.2
 7.5
 8.9
Get What You Give Reviewed by: UG Team, on june 19, 2012

Sound: After releasing "Returners", The Ghost Inside has decided to crank the heaviness and melodies in their newest release "Get What You Give". The song "Outlive" has been streaming for a small amount of time. The track had everything I expected, but it felt quicker, more upbeat, more like the band put everything they could into the song. The rest of the album is the same way, and it does not disappoint. The sound of the album blasting through my high quality headphones is electrifying my body. I am ecstatic to write more and more about how every Hardcore fan should be listening to this album immediately. Trying to describe how this album sounds is best done through the idea of listening to some of the heaviest breakdowns and wanting to flip table because of the high surges of energy. Every hair on my body has been standing since the start of the album. The drums have made a comeback. Instead of following the guitars new drummer Andrew Tcakzyk finds himself blastbeating through verses and dominating breakdowns with such precision. "Face Value" is the perfect song to find Tcazyk dominating the drums. The guitars blend catchy melodies and beat down riffs with great chugging and one-finger chord changes. The riffs are thick and the leads are short and sweet. The songs "Engine 45" and "Dark Horse" are perfect examples of the newly found melodic blend of instruments within every member of The Ghost Inside. At times it felt like I was listening to "Misery Signals", but there is something rooted within the guts of this album that allows it to proceed with a much rawer sound. The only real downside of the album is on a straight listen through it can be easy to detect when the next breakdown or melodic part will be. Even with this factor the album is heavy. The recording quality is clear and sharp, just the way every ear smashing album should sound. // 8

Lyrics: Frontman Jonathan Vigil has a very edgy and raw screaming voice. His voice is not as deep as Karl Schubach, not as yell sounding as Liam Cormier, but mixes in with the music in a fashion that is not really able to be described. Vigil blends his voice through every verse, chorus, song, throughout the album. There are shouting choruses from other band members and just an overall great blend with the heavy guitars. The lyrics are solid and deal with people being able to stand for oneself. Finding solid ways to live without having to deal with constant negativity seems to be one of the themes. A particular lyric I enjoyed was "All my life I've been waiting for something, that never came, that never came, but I am still singing. All my life, I've been searching for something, to break these chains, to break these chains, and I'll keep swinging." This is found in "Engine 45". There are guest vocals featured on. // 8

Overall Impression: Before listening to this exceptional album I was constantly listening to their "Returners" album. "Get What You Give" flows like an album, sounds like an album, and overalls feels more passionate then "Returners". Every song fits the song preceding and the song following. As much as I raved on and on about the heavy breakdowns; that is not all that is found. The Ghost Inside is in no way one dimensional. I was head banging for the entire 37 minutes of this album. After a long day I found a new breath of energy in this music. A lot of work was put into this album, and listeners will certainly obtain what the band gave. Jonathan Vigil was right when he said this was the best work The Ghost Inside has released. // 8

- Sean Gonzalez (c) 2012

Get What You Give Reviewed by: dementiacaptain, on june 21, 2012

Sound: If anyone has heard The Ghost Inside, y'know what to expect. This is melodic hardcore, plain and simple. This album has its slow, "emotional" moments, (the song "White Light" for example) but for the most part it is a heavy album with a very aggressive sound. There really isn't any new ground broken on this record, though, it doesn't have quite as many fast pace barnburners as "Returners" ("Unspoken" and "Between The Lines" come to mind.) It seems like they definitely mellowed out a little bit, which I guess could be good or bad, depending on who you are. I have only listened to it once, working on the second time now, but I would say that the downfall of this album is the drums. They get boring really quick, there is little variation from song to song, ultimately leaving the listener feeling as if they are listening to the same song over and over again. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrical content is similar to the first two albums. The concept behind most of their songs is "be yourself", so it is something that I can respect and relate too. This albums lyrics are very straight forward, such as on "Thirty Three" (you made me how I am, this is how I became a man), they are very bold and up front. Not bad, but it doesn't leave a lot to be imagined, and at times can be a little too "meat and potatoes" for my taste, but it does suit the style well. Something new on this album is the incorporation of singing, in songs like "Engine 45" and "Dark Horse" (a cue they picked up from "Hundredth" I'm sure). The singing parts are very sweet, and reminiscent of metalcore bands such as As I Lay Dying (big fan). The vocals are just as aggressive as ever, very powerful and very good. Definitely one of the more impressive roars I have heard. // 7

Overall Impression: This album is definitely a step in a more mellow direction for The Ghost Inside, which I am still not sure if I am comfortable with. The emotional impact of the album is definitely still there, but this album doesn't hit me like "Returners", or even certain songs on "Fury And The Fallen Ones", which is regretful. I would definitely say "Engine 45", "Dark Horse", "Face Value", and "Test The Limits" are the high points of the album, these standout either as very catchy or very aggressive. I love that this album is still hardcore and heavy, but I miss the faster songs that just bulldozed you over on "Returners". If I somehow lost this album, I would definitely get it again, but I wouldn't run down to the store or rush to my computer like I would for "Returners". Good album, not great, but worth the listen. // 7

More The Ghost Inside reviews rating latest review