Returners Review

8.5
 8.2
 8.8
Returners Reviewed by: KsE3234, on july 22, 2010

Sound: This album was able to be catchy and pummeling at the same time, the drumming is impressive, the drop A# guitar work sounds catchy, and the vox(and gang vox) add a really cool touch. It's not screaming, but it's obviously not singing, which gives a very distinct, unique sound, almost like a really heavy punk band. Definitely something that sounds different and they pull it off very well. // 10

Lyrics: The singer uses not a scream, but more of a yell, like a hardcore punk 90's-esque band. The lyrics are impressive, most of the songs have a great meaning behind them, "I've got here worth fighting for" being one of more memorable ones on the album. The use of gang vocals on songs like "unspoken" give it a great feel too, they really took advantage of the group vox. // 10

Overall Impression: This album sets itself apart from many albums of this year, the catchiness and overall feel of the CD really stand out. Unspoken is definitely one of the better songs on the album, though all are awesome to listen to, definitely an album that should be picked up. // 10

Returners Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 14, 2010

Sound: Upon te album opening, the first thing that struck me was how much raw energy this album gives off; How much sheer power the band are packing into every beat. The track that opens the album is a short instrumental piece called "Walk Away From The World". The song cites impressive percussion work and some great guitar lines - both of these things are quite consistant throughout the album. What follows is an aggressive, high-otane number called "Greater Distance", which follows similar aspects to the opening song; fast, hard drums, roaring guitar lines and a pumping, relentless bass. All this, with the addition of vocals. The rest of the album keeps in with these characteristics, with the only exception of solos. "Between The Lines" and "Chrono", for example, show the guitarist playing well thought-out lines and riffs that aren't OTT or 'shredding', as it were. They're melodic and aren't even that distorted. A surprising, welcome touch to an album that is otherwise filled with rage, devoid of melody. // 6

Lyrics: The vocals throughout the album are generally shouting - "Leave your melodies and harmonies at home, guys! Don't need them today." Of course, with this style of music, who needs harmony and melody? It's about power and aggression through music. Saying this, however, this style of 'singing' offers little or no diversity for the vocalist, leaving little to compliment on, or talk about. I love the group shouts in songs like "Unspoken" and "Overlooked" thought - they have such an incredible feel to them - that sense of unity. The lyrics themselves (after looking them up on the internet - I'd be damned if I could hear what he's saying without SOME help) are surprisingly well thought-out. Great wording and good image work. There is no rhyming schemes as such, which offers little in the way of catchy lines/hooks. But, does that matter? Really? If you like this kind of stuff, I suppose not. // 6

Overall Impression: I feel that this album offers no real musical diversity, compared to other bands that are around at the moment. I mean, I don't feel as though they're trying to break any moulds with this. The vocals are shouting throughout, the lyrics remain inaudible at many points. The music (though technically, not bad) are following the same 'law' that the previous rulers of this genre had set before them. As said previously, the guitar solos are the only thing that would really surprise anyone about this album, when you compare it to the rest of the music. Anyway, on the whole. This album isn't an essential, but it's a great listen if you're really into the 'shouty' (as a friend would call it), hardcore/metalcore kind of stuff, then it's a good listen. The energy and power is something that strikes anyone on first listen; that alone, is an achievment. // 5

- Anthony Bentley (c) 2010

Returners Reviewed by: alexander_MCR, on july 01, 2011

Sound: The Californian metalcore troop, The Ghost Inside continue their ever growing status among the hardcore scene with their second album; "Returners". But as many of you would guess the way they go about it, the formula of melodic metal/hardcore bands remains unchanged and here it is no exception. Tons of Breakdowns, blast beats, big gang vocals, etc. But the lyrical impression it leaves on you is quite impressive. You might even say that after a few listens you feel cheery! // 8

Lyrics: Jonathan Vigil's voice roars its way across each track. Loud and powerful, exactly the way it should be and with his lyrics it all comes up pretty good against the best in the genre. Drummer, KC Stockbridge keeps the double-bass pedals and galloping beats a-coming through out the entire record. Like a mentioned before, if this is your kind of stuff then you feel a sense of happiness wash over as it ends. Sure its nothing incredibly different from other bands but its done so well! // 8

Overall Impression: Its louder, more heavier, more crushing than 08's "Fury And The Fallen Ones". "Chrono", "Between The Lines", "Unspoken" and "Overlooked" would definetly be the best songs on offer here, not to say the otehrs aren't bad, in fact they are really good. For fans of: August Burns Red, Parkway Drive, Cancer Bats, Stray From The Path. // 9

Returners Reviewed by: Charon92, on november 29, 2011

Sound: I've decided to create an account just to do a review of this album because I feel the other reviewers did not give the album a fair judgment. I first heard this album when I happened across a link to "Unspoken" and I was immediately struck by the passion of the music. When I finally bought the album and gave it a few listen I was pleased to find that, although they may stick to the "tried and tested" method of creating a hardcore album, the way they go about it is completely fresh. The subtle use of melody simmers just beneath the aggressive chugging riffs which compliments the intense drum work and the power of Jonathan Vigil's shouting. I would like to add that I recently went to a concert of theirs and although they weren't headlining, they blew the other acts out of the water with their raw energy and power, this album translates perfectly live and they bring every ounce of power from the album, to the stage. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics to this album, I feel, are the greatest strength. They may not being in a standard format but I feel this gives them something new and different. After each song I felt the need to search the lyrics and was pleasantly surprised to find that they are meaningful and potent. The best example of this is "Chrono". The chorus swells and as the vocals kick in, the lyrics immediately hit me and after reading them, it gives them new importance. They are very poignant and almost anyone can relate to them. Lines such as "I want to take the time to stop and think, about doing this and what it might mean to me" they struck me because they are almost something that you would say in your head before doing something major. Jonathan Vigil showcases his ability to write simple, yet very powerful lyrics throughout the album and the addition of Matt Bruso in "Chrono" just adds to the power of the song. // 9

Overall Impression: After the first listen this album left me with a feeling of hope, not just for the band, but for the hardcore genre. The Ghost Inside have created an album that shows both critics and fans of the genre that it's not just about shouting the loudest or playing the hardest, but it's about the message that you're trying to get across. One line in "Truth And Temper" that epitomises this is "To all my demons who breath fire down on me, and every angel that shares it's grace with me, I am no king". They may not be technically the best band, or lyrically the best, but they're doing something different with the genre and they're getting their message across. // 9

More The Ghost Inside reviews rating latest review