New Hopes, New Demonstrations Review

8.4
 8.7
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
New Hopes, New Demonstrations Reviewed by: Forbsy22, on june 01, 2010

Sound: I was purchased this album as a christmas present by a friend who was sure that I'd enjoy it as I'm a fan of such bands as Alexisonfire, Cancer Bats and Gallows. At first listen, only a few tracks jumped out such as "Running on Empty" and "Knees, Toes, Teeth" and eventually the album was shelved. Until... One rainy day I decided to put the album on to give it another try. God, am I glad I did. The production on this album is second to none with the band recording the album in Stockholm with Pelle Gunnerfeldt over the winter of 2008. The songs jump out of the speakers and rip the paint off the walls. Tom Laceys vocals are near perfect as no scream or shout sounds forced and every-one dripping with emotion and passion. The keyboards add a melodic texture to their sound but are not over used. The guitars on the record each were done with their own individual tone as the band wanted to focus on the "individuality of the songs". However, this can sometimes make the record have a slightly uncohesive feel, but the muscianship and quality of the songs on offer quickly redeem this. // 8

Lyrics: Surprisingly, Tom's lyrics are acually pretty good throughout the entire album. There seems to be a theme of the oceans and the sea running throughout the entire album, which comes as no surprise as the band come from the seaside town of Brighton. There is a definite sense of pain and dispair shown through the lyrics but they are written in a more grown up way which prevents the band from sounding moody and angsty. // 7

Overall Impression: I am glad I came back to this album as for me it is the best hardcore punk/rock release of 2009 as it edges ahead on the Gallows "Grey Britain". The standout tracks from the album are, "Fed To The Ocean", "Running On Empty" and "Nobody Likes A Hero". The Ghost of the Thousand are by no means the saviours of hardcore punk, but they have just put out an album which has raised the bar for other bands around the world. // 9

More The Ghost Of A Thousand reviews rating latest review