Blue Sunshine Review

The Glove: Blue Sunshine
Released: August 1983
Genre: Post-Punk, Gothic Rock, Alternative Rock
Label: Wonderland Records, Polydor Records, Rhino Records
"Blue Sunshine" is the only album by the British supergroup The Glove. This is a strange album but when you combine the talents of Steven Severin and Robert Smith what do you expect?
 4.4
 8.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Blue Sunshine Reviewed by: swave75, on july 07, 2011

Sound: This is a strange album but when you combine the talents of Steven Severin and Robert Smith what do you expect? After Siouxsie Sioux and drummer Budgie decided to form the band The Creatures they left the other half of The Banshees to their own devices. Smith and Severin formed The Glove. Sadly due to contractual reasons, Smith was only allowed to sing two songs "Mr. Alphabet Says" and "Perfect Murder". However, in 2006 he remastered "Blue Sunshine" as a 2 disc set featuring his vocals on disc 2. Jeanette Landray, Budgie's one time girlfriend is the vocalist on the first disc. They use various instruments, tuned and untuned, such as a sitar, a dulcimer, and a drum machine. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrically this is an odd album. On "Mr. Alphabet" some of the lyrics are "You could win your golden, be a spinning top, use a riding crop". Or on "Orgy" the words are "A disease I'd under my fingernails it stains me like a tatoo". Musically it is also weird but not too weird to not want to listen to it. Both Landray and Smith do not possess great voices but who cares? It is still an interesting listen. // 9

Overall Impression: I would not say this sounds like a Banshees or Cure album. Not even somewhere in the middle. I would recommend buying the remastered version so you could listen to Smith singing the lyrics. It just sounds better. My favorite songs are "Orgy" and "Mr. Alphabet". My least favorite is "Like An Animal". Disc two is great for any fan of The Cure and Robert Smith. I would have to buy it again if it were stolen or lost. I might even cry if it happened. // 8

Comments