The Trick To Life Review

the hoosiers: The Trick To Life
Release Date: Oct 22, 2007
Genre: Indie Rock
Label: RCA
"Trick To Life" is an album filled with upbeat treats, as well as glimpses of a deeper, darker edge.
 Lyrics: 7.8
 7.8
 8.6
 6.9
The Trick To Life Reviewed by: alxtheexpert, on november 09, 2007

Sound: As the "Indie" generation grows ever larger more and more new bands are popping in and out of the charts, recording one album then dissapearing. But where they go after their first works is really decided by the impact of their first album. Well there is quite a strong chance this will not hapen to the Hoosiers, however I still have a funny hunch that it could all go horribly wrong. Anyway on to more pressing matters, their first track appeared on iTunes in the form of a free single of the week download, and did not impress me. I keep having several arguments about this from my friends but to me, the tune itself sounds like the guitar and vocals of a Kooks song and the drumming styles of The Ramones mixed together to make a sound that would make D12 feel proud of themselves. However although these comments are sharp and evil, the only way was up for the group and they picked themselves up and made one of the finest albums of the past three years. Irwin Sparkes (if this is his real name) makes a eerie toe-tapping combination of multi-tracked voices and guitar in the song Everything goes dark, which has a fantastic crescendo of the recently mentioned effect near the end of the song, which made my day. Sheer Excellence shows through in the songs Worried About Ray which is guaranteed to make a fool of you on any bus, Feeling You Get, Goodbye Mr A, which many of my colleagues have told me "its only that one line I can remember in the whole song!" which is quite true. // 9

Lyrics: This is unfortunately where they album loses its impact. It's like Snap, Crackle but no Pop. There's is just something about album fillers that I detest but, not just the album fillers in this album have low-grade lyrics, I mean come on, Run Rabbit Run? Okay the music is top notch and so is the singing but it is simply like someone stuck a hoover on one of their heads and sucked out all the good ideas. As mentioned earlier this is why I am desperately hoping they will improve on this in another album. // 6

Overall Impression: I am happy that The Hoosiers have appeared as the album has proved something I want to play on my iPod whenever I pick it up. Taking their influences from The Cure and XTC it is easy to see where their streak of alternative magic comes from. I love their contrast of indie/alternative with a range of new styles and intsruments. I am extremly dissapointed however, about this album after hearing such good word of mouth about it I wanted it to be 10/10, but it's just the small matter with being another indie band with extremely good talent, but all good ideas being held back, I just hope they put it in another album where they show their genious. // 9

The Trick To Life Reviewed by: iamaguitarfish, on january 08, 2008

Sound: It is quite hard to describe the overall style of this album as each song is different to the next however the style of the album is definatly something in the genres of pop and britpop and the overall tone of the music is very light. This is probably not the album to buy if you are intrested in the bass line as it is very simple and even more so if you want big guitar solos as they are thin on the groud. This album's charm lies not in it's technical difficulty but in its fresh pop-y sound. // 8

Lyrics: There is no doubt about it, the singer in this band is amazingly and scarily talented as a twenty-something male he is able to reach notes that I, a twelve year old girl, could not even dream of. However the lyrics, although good, are not exceptional. They can only be described as odd. What makes many of the songs so powerful is the contrast between a bright pop-y tune and dark, almost disturbing, lyrics, which, for reasons unknown, works really well. // 7

Overall Impression: This album is a must have for anybody who likes bands such as the holloways or the feeling as it echos their styles. I personly like the softer songs on the album namely "Everything Goes Dark" and "Clinging On For Life" as the pop songs can become slightly tedious. I would deffinatly recomend this to anybody who lijes good british pop. // 9

The Trick To Life Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 10, 2008

Sound: Overall, The Hoosiers' sound could be described as 'indie', although, they do have a unique style of music which is different to many indie-pop bands in the UK today. The bright, up-beat songs "Worried About Ray" and "Goodbye Mr A" were instant hits, followed by yet another fast track "Worst Case Scenario". Their guitar playing isn't mind-blowing, and they don't seem to take themselves too seriously with their music, but they definetly bring something new, fresh and different to the music industry. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics, strangely, they reveal a darker, much deeper side to the band's overall bright and cheerful sound; the songwords occasionally refering to sadness, despair and death. They're very simple, not over the top or melodramatic, so it takes a few listens to discover the darker edge to the lyrics. The lead singer, Irwin Sparkes, no doubt has amazing range, switching from low, soft notes to powerful high ones easily. Both these elements make each song powerful and memorable in it's own unique sense, which really boosts the quality of the album. // 8

Overall Impression: "The Trick To Life", with a combination of lively, poppy tracks, darker-edged songs, great vocals, and an original sound, is a must have album for alternative-indie lovers. My favourite numbers are "Goodbye Mr A", "Clinging On For Life" and "Money To Be Made; all varied in style, but really stand out for me personally. However, I wouldn't recommend it to death-metal, incredible guitar solo-lovers, for The Hoosiers lack that aspect of music, their strength being not in how complicated the guitar playing is, but the simplicty of the songs and lyrics. I think The Trick To Life is a classic album, and a great start to this talented band's future career, for I hope there is loads more to come! // 9

The Trick To Life Reviewed by: CalumCanavan, on march 27, 2014

Sound: "The Trick to Life" is The Hoosiers' first album and it was a great way to start their career. First of all, Irwin Sparkes' vocals sound amazing and show his great range. Everything else sounds great. There's some great guitar work on songs like "Worried About Ray" and "The Trick to Life." The drums sound great as well, especially on "Worst Case Scenario." The albums' most popular single "Goodbye Mr. A" is quite upbeat and so are some other songs on the album, but there is some quieter, more chilled out tracks on the album. This album's mix of upbeat and slower songs adds to the great indie pop sound of this album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are superb and very clever at times. The song "Run Rabbit Run" for example, is about a girl being with a guy that is not good for her. The Hoosiers have put a clever spin on this, by comparing the situation to a fox chasing a rabbit. The lyrics can range to things like this to a song song about a teacher who thinks he's superior and forgot to switch his feelings on ("Goodbye Mr. A"). This album shows very clearly that The Hoosiers are some of the best lyricists in pop music, due to their interesting subjects and clever lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: This album, for me, is easily a 10/10 album, due to it being one of my favourite albums of all time. This album is indie pop at it's best. It sounds excellent and every song is a winner. The vocals, guitars and drums sound great on every track. If this album was stolen or lost, I would buy it again in a heartbeat. There is no way that I could have an album collection without this album. Overall, this album is amazing and it is an album that I will always love and never get tired of. Irwin, Al and Martin created a great first album that was a great way to start their career. // 10

Comments