Like Vines Review

the hush sound: Like Vines
Release Date: Jun 6, 2006
Label: Decaydance/Fueled By Ramen
Genres: Indie Pop, Alternative Pop/Rock
Consequently, it comes as no real surprise that their sophomore effort, Like Vines, is a much more fully realized and mature sounding album.
 Lyrics: 9.7
 9.6
 9.8
 9.4
Like Vines Reviewed by: evan39706, on october 20, 2006

Sound: The Hush Sound is a band out of Chicago that was picked up by Decaydance Records in 2005. I had never heard of them until I saw them open for Panic! at the Disco this summer. I was blown away. The main focus is on the tradeoff between guitarist and singer Bob Morris and pianist Greta Salpeter. The music is very positive and upbeat, with only a few slow, sad songs. // 10

Lyrics: All of the lyrics fit perfectly with the music, whether they be a story about the circus (Lion's Roar) or comparing a lost love to a boat (Where We Went Wrong). The lyrics are always upbeat and Bob and Greta's voices fit perfectly with the music. All the members share vocal duties, and they all have really good voices. // 10

Overall Impression: The Hush Sound can't really be compared to other artists. The closest I can come to describing them is if Something Corporate added a female singer, but it still isn't close. The most impressive songs are We Intertwined, Where We Went Wrong, and Wine Red. The only bad thing about the album are the slow songs towards the end. They are still great songs, they just feel like fillers. If this CD was stolen I would immediately go out and buy it again. // 9

Like Vines Reviewed by: darkcontender, on november 04, 2006

Sound: I think the Hush Sound has some really original music. Their songs can either sound bright and up-beat or smooth and slow. Either way, they sound really great. They're not like those bands who just goes around and play their complicated guitar solos. But, the Hush Sound can really play. Their songs have these awesome instrumental parts which sounds really cool. // 10

Lyrics: This band has one of the most awesome lyrics written. Their lyrics are not like, "Yeah life sucks. Yeah! You make me sick" or something like that but they have real meaning. The lyrics fit with the music perfectly and so as Bob and Greta's singing. One of the things I'm most impressed about is how good they perform. I watched their performance and they sound almost exactly like how they sound on their CD, which is really not usual for most bands. // 10

Overall Impression: I've never heard any band that sounds like them that's why I think they're really original. I first heard them because my cousin told me to listen to them so I did and I loved them. The most impressive songs on the album is probably Wine Red and We Intertwined. I most especially love Wine Red. I love almost everything about their CD except for one thing. I'm not sure if it's just me but when I listen to Lighthouse, which is a really awesome song by the way, Greta's voice is a bit too sharp (can't explain it very well). It kinda hurts my ears a bit. It's probably just because of the recording or something. If this CD was lost or stolen, I would want to buy one again, but I have no money (my friend just gave me this CD for my bday). That's about it. They're a really good band. Listen to them. // 10

Like Vines Reviewed by: thelacavera, on june 10, 2008

Sound: Like Vines is the second studio album released by The Hush Sound. The name comes from a line in the song 'We Intertwined'. If you listen to Panic! At The Disco and then listen to The Hush Sound, you won't see much of a difference except for the more classical style of music involved that comes from Greta Salpeter's piano playing and musical influence. The band combines the singing styles of male and female and has a very Indie Pop sound. This album also features Fall Out Boy's Patrick Stump with vocals on 'Don't Wake Me Up' and backing vocals on 'We Intertwined'. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are 100 times better then the last album, 'So Sudden'. In 'So Sudden' the lyrics are a complete catastrophe, but Like Vines definatley saved this band from extinction. Their music fits perfectly with the lyrics and both singers (Bob Morris and Greta Salpeter) have amazing voices that can hit high and low notes. They could most likely sing any style of music. One of their best songs written has to be 'You Are the Moon'. It is a tasteful song on this album. The only problem I have with the lyrics are that they can sometimes just sound boring in the sense that they are sometimes too simple. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this album is by far my favourite. Compared to Panic! At The Disco and Fall Out Boy they are much better because of their unique style. It might not seem unique because of how much they sound like Panic! At The Disco but they take Panic! At The Disco and push it a lot further. Some of the most impressive songs from the album are, 'We Intertwined', 'Sweet Tangerine', 'Where We Went Wrong', 'Wine Red', and 'You Are The Moon'. They are all around amazing songs. This album is one of the greatest albums made. Check it out. // 10

More The Hush Sound reviews rating latest review