Inside In Inside Out Review

the kooks: Inside In Inside Out
Release Date: Feb 7, 2006
Label: EMI
Genres: Rock
The eagerly awaited debut of the energetic UK new pop foursome who have been built a significant fanbase with their honest, appealing musical style.
 Lyrics: 9.3
 8.9
 8.9
 8.8
Inside In Inside Out Reviewed by: goodbyenavarone, on march 29, 2006

Sound: The Kooks are the best new British band for, well, a very long time. All the hype at the moment is for the Arctic Monkeys, but there are in my opinion only one/two songs worth mentioning on Whatever People Say, while Inside In Inside Out is a rock album with true pedigree. From the beginning it plays like a greatest hits, and this clever young band from Brighton have finally started out-selling the Flunkeys. The influence is strange, which is possibly makes this record stand out; it is different. There are definitely elements of The Strokes, or more accurately great big chunks of them, but there is also influence from inside the British scene, with a few moments which wouldn't be amiss on a Zutons or Coral record, and possibly a few moments running right back to the mighty Zeppelin. But the music isn't in any way limited to these influences, as I said it is different. They've experimented with simple, catchy stuff and it's come off well with help from the addictive riffs and the ballsy, riotous lyrics. // 8

Lyrics: The album begins with the slow acoustic 'Seaside' quite a contrast to the rest of the album, but it's still definitely a sing-along and makes a good intro to the rest of the record. It's followed by the loud and proud 'See the World', an anthem by any standard this sets the tone for the rest of the album perfectly, with big verses and bigger lyrics. This is a song from the heart and the lyrics show it. The repeating of 'What? What? What?' at the end shows how ballsy this band is, and they certainly have every right to be. The hits continue through to number 9, every one is releasable material. Each is memorable in it's own way and just will not get out of your head. More arrogance comes from 'We're going out tonight, we're gonna walk all over your cars' of 'Matchbox'. 'I Want You' unfortunately lets the side down a little, don't get me wrong it's still good, but in comparison with the rest of the album it is poor, too whiny and slow for me. 'If Only' is very much like a snapshot of the whole album, slow to start and then absolutely brilliant, but dies at the end. 'Jacky Big Tits' follows and is dire when first heard, but is actually a very good song, if rather different to the rest of the album. 'Time Awaits' is as good as any of the first nine hits, and the muted sections at the end, where the volume is basically turned off and then back on again twice, is just pure original brilliance. More ballsy lyrics really show the confidence in this band, which others might not dare show without reputation: 'She tore those panties down, to love me wetter'. Unfortunately they just couldn't finish the album on a high, and in my opinion the album should just be turned off before 'Got No Love' even begins. It lets the album down, again it's not that bad a song, but possibly the high standards set by the rest of the album are blurring my judgement. Singer skills, Luke Pritchard's voice goes fantastically with the acoustic/rock mix of the guitars and holds this together well, with a voice very similar to Julian Casablanca of the Strokes, but still with that British accent which seems to give the songs an even more catchy, almost rebellious edge. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a fantastic album, it trully is. It is better than anything out in the British market at the moment, and I can only see the Kooks going on the achieve great things. Sure it does get a bit lost at the end, but this album is well worth any money you spend on it. I'd happily pay 100 for a new one if some b*gger nicked it that's for sure. The Kooks show with this debut that big things are going to come from them, lets hope they don't take too much influence from The Strokes and wallow in their second album. Long live The Kooks. // 10

Inside In Inside Out Reviewed by: Ricky9, on june 19, 2006

Sound: I recieved this album as a birthday present after only hearing one song (Naive) which too be honest, had got on my nerves abit. As soon as the song Seaside came on, I was hooked. The Kooks indie style is very good and they have some very good songs with great sound. Such examples of this are I Want You Back and Matchbox. As well as The Kooks sounding good recording wise, I'd advise to see them live as they are very very good. Songs that bring the album down are Got No Love and Time Awaits. Otherwise, very good. // 9

Lyrics: I'm not usually a guy that focuses on the lyrical side of songs. But Inside In Inside Out has some very good lyrics worth a shout. "But you don't pull my strings, 'Cause I'm a better man, moving on to better things". The lyrics seem basic but with Luke Pritchard's fantastic talent, it makes the song seem complete. // 9

Overall Impression: Inside In Inside Out is a great album, with a couple of exceptions to certain songs. A great listen to on a nice sunny day with your mates, if you have any. // 9

Inside In Inside Out Reviewed by: Andy_strat, on july 03, 2006

Sound: I think that The Kooks have a few very good songs and I'm not sure how they compare to Artic Monkeys I would probably say I like Artic Monkeys more. I think The Kooks are very good at what they do but I think there are better bands out there such as Razorlight or Artic Monkeys. I like the rock/indie style from the kooks I think it's suits the singers voice well. I don't think the kooks have discovered themselves yet as all their songs are about different things and very random. I think their next album should be very promising and I look forward to the day that it comes out (if it comes out). // 9

Lyrics: I love the lyrics on this album, especially on 'Naive' (I know that she knows, I'm not fond of asking, true or false it may be, shes still out to get me), I think that song is brilliant, the singers voice is very distinctive and very enjoyable to listen to. Also I think that 'She Moves In Her Own Way' is very catchy. The lyrics are very simple on it as well, 'I Love Her Because, She Moves In Her Own Way' but the way the lead voclaist sings it makes the song sound so much better. It is definatly a sing along album on most of the songs and I can understand completely how people get hooked on this album even though I think there are better things out there. // 9

Overall Impression: I think that the kooks have a real bright future for them and their album was very promising. I wouldn't buy a new one if it got stolen I would much rather spend a day trying to steal it back, much more interesting that way. I think that some of the songs need to be really original and catchy because some of them just bore me. Well done to The Kooks though good work! // 9

Inside In Inside Out Reviewed by: Daniel Pearce, on february 21, 2007

Sound: At first 'Seaside' is very unique to the rest of the album and stays that way. I think most people would agree it's because it's an acoustic and slow tempo song. They've used some good solos and a lot of diffrent structures and chords that produces a good sound altogether, nice composing. Their guitars sound great, but I think the drumming could improve, most of the time you can't hear it much compared to the guitars which are blasting riffs. We need to hear the drums more so that there's more of a beat to the tracks. The sound doesn't compare to any other bands. The closest would be Razorlight though. They're just as good as Razorlight talking music-wise. The songs are loud and cover a few rock genres. A nice collection of songs included in this album. The basist looks a bit like Razorlight's basist I've noticed. // 8

Lyrics: Something that's sortov weird about The Kooks is that they talk about girls in! Every single song which is annoying beacuse you don't only need some variety in your music but also in your lyrics aswell. But anyway, the lyrics are sung very well and is unique compared to other vocalists I know. There's loads of little nice techniques in there that you may spot throughout the album (included in both the lyrics and also the sound.) The lyrics goes well with the music and I love it when his voice goes all quiet with the music in a few of the songs. They go well with the music and have little storys in them like 'Arctic Monkeys' usually have. I wouldn't say the lyrics are as good as Razorlight's but they're on the right tracks of some good lyrics that they have created. All they need is a comeback album to really impress the judges. // 9

Overall Impression: The Kooks are totally awesome with their hair and their debut album was a hit. The most impressive songs on the album are 'Sofa Song', Eddie's Gun', 'Ooh La', 'She Moves In Her Own Way' and finally 'Naive'. Well basically the first nine songs are brilliant till the end of the album songs 10-14 which seems as if they've rushed them and hadn't put as much thought into them. You know like extra songs that no-one really cares about and when they had run out of ideas they just had a jam and put those as songs on the album. You have to be in the right mood to listen to The Kooks. One thing I'd like to know is what does the name 'The Kooks' mean and come from? But don't get me wrong these are great cool musicians. They remind me of The Veiw which seem to have several things in common with The Kooks. Seeing them perform 'Sofa Song' and 'Eddies Gun' live on stage would be fantastic, they'd be outstanding. You can sign up for their newsletter if you want at their site. Overall this is great indie. // 8

More The Kooks reviews rating latest review