This Is An Adventure Review

8.3
 8.5
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
This Is An Adventure Reviewed by: hollowgraphic, on january 31, 2013

Sound: This band formed in Cleveland has amazed me more than others. It's formed by brothers Michael and Matthew LoPresti, Steve Diaz and Mike Poro. Their first album was a just a demo of what's to come and a pretty good one. With heartfelt lyrics and catchy beats, they captivated my silly head and probably many other silly heads. When I found out they were releasing a new album back in August, I got really excited. I wanted to hear more of that folky sound that captivated me. I ran into something else. The folk wasn't gone, it was kinda improved in a way. Most fans get mad or upset when their favorite bands change their style, but this is not the case, I was happy to hear something new. These days it's hard to come up with something original. The Lighthouse And The Whaler did that, they had the same spirit from the first record and different instruments. Good combo when the band is pretty much exploding in creativity. I define the sound as Indie Pop/Rock, not a clear way to define it but enough for fans to understand. If you need one song to get the album and the concept, go and check the song that gave the album it's name: "This Is An Adventure". Here you'll find vocal solos, violin solos, great riffs, glockenspiel and damn good beats. They've definitely changed my style and become one of my favorite bands (and album). // 8

Lyrics: Michael LoPresti is a band himself. Amazing singer, that studied literature which explains his magnificent lyrics and rhyming. I wouldn't say every song fits with the melody but they sure get the idea. "Venice" is a good example, pretty simple song in which he sings: "Why don't we all fall in love". In "Pioneers" he claims: "Hold on, I think you're a little bit too far away. And I remember the beginning, how it was with your hands on my shoulders. Oh my, I hope it never ends". Some songs have vocal solos that bring a good environment, kinda Mumford-ish. The last song called "Untitled" closes with a long (maybe to extense) vocal arrangement, not necessarily bad but could've been shorter. // 9

Overall Impression: For a "second year" band, they sound like if they were graduated long ago, not every band can do what these guys did. I can't relate this album to any other, so I have nothing to say here. I love how they made every song and there are only 2 details I would change: The songs could've been a bit more dynamic (like adding solos or a cool bridge) and the drums sound a bit to loud. I wouldn't say the album has bad songs, some are just inferior but not bad at all. For me "Pioneers", "Burst Apart", "This Is An Adventure" and "The Adriatic" are the hot spots. I don't own the album, I will soon! But if someone stole it from me I'd definitely get it again.

// 8