Colour It In Review

the maccabees: Colour It In
Release Date: May 14, 2007
Label: Polydor
Genres: New Wave/Post-Punk Revival, Indie Rock
Colour It In bursts with vitality and youthfulness, with thick London accents and falling in love and breaking rules and simply enjoying one's self.
 Lyrics: 7.7
 8.1
 8.2
Colour It In Reviewed by: alxtheexpert, on january 29, 2008

Sound: When I finished the last review I went back online and checked some predidctions for the most popular indie acts of 2008, I was startled to see The Maccabees anywhere. And for a certain strange reason, I can't say they are. The strange reason being, that they have not really extended their range of music. Indie is very repetetive repetetive repe, you get the point. But this album really does blow them al out of the water. 19 times. The guitar is overly (and I do not want to say it)boring. The drumming is too complicated and messy and the synth? Where is it? It might not matter to most of you but without it it sounds as colourless as it's album cover. I'm judging that thier album is a sort of hint to others to not carry out thier mistakes. Colour it in? Yes good idea, try that next time. // 6

Lyrics: Boring Boring Boring Boring. If you like the Arctic Monkeys, The Editors and such. You might take a shine to this part. A gave a second look at the album while listening to some of the tracks. Here is a solution if your a regular iTunes shopper buy only these four tracks, Precious Time, Lego (has a nice opening riff), First Love (gets really good late on) and Toothpaste Kisses is quite a nice peaceful song compared to the rest of thier demeaning racket I mean unblissful racket. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is a sort of bridge between good indie and really good indie. however this is the sort of rickety, rotten, wooden bridge that they must cross to become indie prophets. I'm not majorly impressed but at the same time who cares! They got to where they are wherever that is and they have made some catchy riffs on the way. Once again, I would just say keep a look out for this group, they will be touring soon hopefully. But they aren't all bad news. They've made the short-list for X-fm album of the year. You decide! // 7

Colour It In Reviewed by: Geeeeezer, on june 01, 2009

Sound: This album is The Maccabees' first true opening into the world of indie music and with it they brought a very distinctive sound. The guitars are intricate in places but are often fairly basic yet this suites the style perfectly. The album is their representation of a teenage life, growing up with people coming and going and the slightly disjointed rhythms of the guitars reflect this (see 'Mary' or 'All In Your Rows'). Yet the feeling of the album as a whole is quite happy and uplifting with active basslines ('Tissue Shoulders') and drumbeats that move the song and give energy behind Orlando's slightly melancholy singing ('X-ray'). // 9

Lyrics: Orlando, the lead vocalist has a distinctive wavery tone which he has through every song but this fits the album style perfectly like the line 'We'll hold on...' in 'Lego'. All the backing vocals slightly imitate Orlando and although sometimes unnoticable all add to the texture of the songs. The lyrics vary quite greatly from the very emotional side (like 'These are tears of joy not woe, cos woe betide I open wide and let inside the fire' in 'Happy Faces') to the easy to relate to, cute, but still not cheesy lyrics of the hopeless romantic songs like 'About Your Dress' ('You stood out like a sore thumb, the most beautiful sore thumb I'd ever seen'). The one exception I would make to the thoughtful lyrics would be 'Latchmere' about a swimming pool and even this, with undeniably catchy lines like 'swimming swimming swimming swimming, stay in your lanes' also shows a deeper side with a few hidden references like 'came out of the changing room and absolutely nothing had changed, so I stayed in your lane'. // 8

Overall Impression: Personally, this album just works for me. One of the few albums I have that I can listen to from start to end without skipping tracks, with high energy songs like 'X-ray' equally balanced with the cute love songs like 'toothpaste kisses' with the guitar melodies as pointed as Orlando's singing. And by pointed I mean edgy, uncertain, with a sense of the confusions of so many hormones in the air and trying to find a direction. Yet with this The Maccabees have direction. And judging by their new more mature album, that is and upwards direction. // 10

Colour It In Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 02, 2008

Sound: Though Not Anything Ground Breaking I think the Maccabees sound really good and could be compaired to the a few greats(The Smiths).Some people may not share my opinon but I think most the songs are danceable to except Good old bill.At First I found it hard to listen to some of the songs (Good Old Bill) but I have grew to like it and normaly the songs pop up in my head especialy Mary.Orlando's voice makes the Maccabees them and if it was anyone else who was on vocals I probally wouldn't love them like I do. // 9

Lyrics: I Think the some of the lyrics on the songs are quite heartfelt and bitter (First Love, X-ray Believe it or not). While some are jsut plain fun (Latchmere, About your dress).Most of the songs are quite simple and a bit repetitive though espically latchmere which makes up time by going. // 7

Overall Impression: I Hope The 'Bees make more good albums but mabye with a nicer colourful cover because the band are just fun on a cd.If I lost the album yes I would probally buy it agen but I have it on the computer so the robbers can stick it up them. Sorry for the spelling it was rushted. // 8

Comments