De-Loused In The Comatorium Review

artist: The Mars Volta date: 11/18/2008 category: compact discs
The Mars Volta: De-Loused In The Comatorium
Released: Jun 24, 2003
Genre: Rock
Tones: Volatile, Cathartic, Visceral, Hypnotic, Manic, Paranoid, Spiritual, Intense, Elaborate
Styles: Post-Hardcore, Neo-Psychedelia, Post-Rock/Experimental
 Lyrics: 9.6
 9.8
 9.7
 9.8
De-Loused In The Comatorium Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 24, 2003

Sound: First off, this album is going to scare off most people. The textures and sounds in this music are too intemidating for those weened on MTV. But those who can appreciate the bizarre will find quite possibly the most enjoyable album of the year. When Omar Rodriguez Lopez and Cedric Bixler Zavala left their previous group At The Drive In in 2000, they just wanted to rock out. That much is evident on the Mars Voltas debut. Most of these songs run about 7 minutes, with white-spired twangy guitars and almost tribal drums dominating the most part. This could easily be classified as a jam album. It starts off with a slow build up to a full throttle assault on "Inertiatic e.s.p" which is interupted with an electronic breakdown which builds to that same intensity before the end. But perhaps the best track here is "Cicatriz e.s.p". Through 12 minutes of ever changing styles, Omar shows us exactly what he's capable and proves himself an incredible talent on the guitar (with John Frusciante of Chili Pepper fame accompanying him for the "dueling solo). There si so much music styles covered here, and the only downfall is that some poeple will be flabergasted by what's going on around them. // 8

Lyrics: Deloused is a concept album, about a friend of Omar and Cedric's who took his life. The album offers no lyric sheet, but in my humble opinion, that's a good thing. Every song seems liek a mystery just waiting to be solved. The lyrics are definetly up to you to figure out, but with the context of this music, it fits seemingly well. The album is lousey with references of pre-birth, fetal stages and mind f*cked reveries, which will take you to very spaced out places. The point is that this man has died, and is hanging on, trying to decide if he shall live or die, and at the end (evident by the acoustic track "Televators) he chooses death. The mood fits perfectly here. // 10

Overall Impression: Over all, this is one of the riskiest albums produced this year, not focusing on radio play and refusing to play the fame game. Very daring, very atmospheric, and gargantuan in scope, this is probably one of the best guitar albums this year, and for $10, I definitely recomend taking this plunge into space, where hopefully you won't wanna return. // 10

De-Loused In The Comatorium Reviewed by: criticfantastic, on march 23, 2004

Sound: This album may just possibly be the most innovative album sound wise of all time. Bongo beats, wailing vocals, electronica, complicated riffs and an uncountable number of guitar effects. It is awesome, this is progressive rock taken to new levels. Flea adds another dimension to the album with his ridiculously stunning bass skills. Many people will say that Radiohead are the most adventurous band ever...those people have obviously never heard this prime example of experimentation gone wild. Listen to "Televators" for a good idea of what I'm talking about. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are very difficult ot decipher as they are not in the booklet but even if they were available, you would need to speak Spanish to understand some of them. However, the lyrics that you can hear/undersatnd are truely awesome and poetic. Once again, "Televators" is a fantastic example of lyrical magic. The vocalist has a different voice to say the least. He used to be in At The Drive In (another world class band), as were most of the members of the band, and his voice has progressed so much since their farewell effort entitled "Relationship Of Command." His voice is melodic and strangely feminine in some places. // 10

Overall Impression: If any of you have had the pleasure of hearing Realtionship Of Command by At The Drive In, then you will know that it is one THE great albums of recent years. But compared to this debut effort from hte Mars Volta, it is quite mediocre. This album is stunning and has not left my cd player for about half a year now. The best songs are "Televators", "Ciciatriz ESP", "Roulette Dares" and "Son Est Luminere". There is nothing to hate about this record and everything to love. It is a stunning masterpiece of musicianship and art. Possibly one of the top 10 albums of ALL time. This band will go a long long way. // 10

De-Loused In The Comatorium Reviewed by: Me09, on april 12, 2004

Sound: Wow, I've just got done listening to the CD and it feels like I took 3 pounds of acid and walked into a fun house, this CDs amazing, not for everyone though. Im only giving it a four because of the fact that not everyone will "dig" this music. // 8

Lyrics: When asked what the lyrics were about the lead singer replied that it was about his best friend who overdosed on morphine, went into a coma for a little over a week and decided to kill himself after he woke up. This is a concept album which tells of him overdosing, going into his coma and having weird dreams and waking up and choosing to die. Amazing. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is very good, the guitars (John Frusciante plyed on guitar for Cicatriz and Flea provided bass for the entire album) are outstanding, providing over-the-top effects with nice riffs and bongo beats which remind me of prog-salsa. I recommend this album for anyone with musical taste, and a sense of imagination. // 10

De-Loused In The Comatorium Reviewed by: inertiaticesp88, on april 20, 2004

Sound: The Mars Volta is on a whole different playing field than other bands of this time. They took the preconceived notion of genre and classification, and wiped their asses with it. The sound on this record is phenominal, although it probably intimidates most. This is a true quest, a quest beyond the border of death. The Mars Volta managed to fuse everything into this record, from Rock and Roll, to psychadelia, to Jazz, to latin music. There are many different sounds on this album, yet they all kind of meld into one long track, it all seems to fit together. The guitar on this album, courtesy of Omar, are pretty impressive. It's kinda of an effect filled style of playing, one that helps the melody tell a story. He uses some very unique stylings, even some gypsy stylings. // 10

Lyrics: To comprehend anything about Cedric Bixler, vocalist of Mars Volta, is absolute insanity. The lyrics on this mind-fuck of an album are so hard to comprehend, it's impossible to understand one song without a dictionary or thesaurus on hand. Cedric has a way with words, especially words that nobody knows the meaning of. He enjoys using big words, to keep things open ended, to leave the listener pondering. The lyrics fit w/ this style of music, kinda of an organized chaos, with emphasis on the chaos. Cedric should be deemed a great front man. Besides the undeniable fact that he hits these notes that just shatter glass, an octave above most comfortable male ranges. // 10

Overall Impression: This being the first LP by the band, it's kind of hard to compare it to much. Tremulant was good, but this is just on a whole different plateau, if you will. Every single song on this album has a very unique sound. It's very hard to pick a favorite, however I have two. I enjoy Tira me Las Aranas. Its a straight out acoustic, very spanish, even flamenco guitar intro to Drunkship of the Lanterns. Its just a very very good sound. I also enjoy Take the Veil Cerpin Taxt, the last song on the album. I couldn't really tell you why it's so enjoyable, just a very good sound to my ears. I coulnd't begin to tell you how much I truly enjoy this album. It's absolutely phenominal. They managed to amke a truly great album, I'd say one of the best and most innovative albums in probably the last ten years. There is very little I didn't like about this album, and nothing I can think of off the top of my head. I think if I were to have "losted" this album, I would certainly buy a new one. I don't think I would lose it anytime soon however, because it is in constant rotation in my cd player, even 6 months after I bought it. // 10

De-Loused In The Comatorium Reviewed by: kcsk8r, on july 06, 2004

Sound: When you read reviews, some bands are referred to as a mix between Mars Volta and (insert band name here). Well here it is. The Mars Volta De-Loused in the Comatorium review by me. Mars Volta is a band that has a left handed guitarist, and he is fast. There is no other word to describe it, but fast. While this music scares some people because it could easily fit into a horror film, after you listen to a few tracks and kind of pick out the other instruments and focus only on the guitar, you realize that he is going about 40 or 50 bpm faster than the other instruments, other than the drums, which occasionally catch up with him. The Music is awesome. // 10

Lyrics: For some people the lyrics are hard to pick out, because of their singer "is so bad." I think their singer fits into the band with his more high pitched voice, it completes the band sound. The lyrics fit in with the music so well, you don't have to know what he's singing. The songs don't have near ten seconds in between them, and the album flows very well. The first time I listened to the cd, I listened to track one, or Son Et Lumiere, and it ended with out me knowing it, and flowed right into track two, or Inertiatic Esp, and I looked down and saw that I was halfway through the second song, not the first, that's how much the album flows. // 10

Overall Impression: This album sits on top of my cd rack, if not in my cd player. I love this cd, and if it were lost, I would definitely buy it again. What I love about this cd is how the sound of all the instruments and the vocalist put together make one great sound. This happens a lot, I think that's why we like cd's, is because we like the overall sound, not just the guitar lick or the lyrics, it's how the instruments and vocalist agree with each other. // 10

De-Loused In The Comatorium Reviewed by: ugthanamug, on august 20, 2004

Sound: The sound on this Album can only be described as epic! So many different styles melded together. From the first time I heard the songs I could tell they were latin, being latin myself. I found the bongos and intricated drumming amazing and refreshing from all this MTV BS. Omar Rodriguez(guitarist) is the biggest badass ever. Many of his solos sound like random notes being played, but they really aren't. It all has some type of loosely assembled structure but it's there. All the strange scales and riffs just take you to another world. It's like you are hearing music from another world, even beyond Mars. Though they are not named after the planet. Their sound is cosmic. Like another review says, many people are much intimidated by their sound, but I've found that those who really know music love this album, mainly my bassist and 2nd guitarist, the singers are MTV weenies. // 10

Lyrics: They lyrics are so deep and meaninful, they tell a huge story. The whole album is basically on big story so all the songs flow into one another and the events are linked. He uses much vocabulary and sometimes even some words in old Latin, and Spanish. They make sense to Cedric Bixler (singer), so I'll gladly take them. You can sing your heart out to theese songs and not know what the hell you are talking about, but you feel it so much. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is like nothing you have ever heard and probably will ever heard again from any other band. I love that all the instruments come together so well and the band is so close in their sound. The guitar blows my mind. This band is so groundbreaking. I've literally spent hours trying to learn all these songs, and it's paid off BIG for my musicianship. The most impressive songs would be Eriatarka, Take The Veil Cerpin Taxt, Inertiatic, and The Haunt Of Roulette Dares. This CD is priceless and it was only 9.99 at Specs, it's good that it was cheap but it just goes to show you how the best things in life cost less money-wise, and how undervalued the band actually is, with Hilary Duff CDs priced at 17.99. Bunch of suckers. // 10

De-Loused In The Comatorium Reviewed by: refusedparty, on march 07, 2005

Sound: 'De-Loused In The Comatorium' is the debut album from The Mars Volta, the Tool-esque splinter group from legendary hardcore punkers At The Drive-In. One word describes the sound on this album: epic. From the epic beginning to the epic ending, this like a theatre piece all the way. Basically, if you got Pink Floyd to write the music and Shakespeare to pen the words, you'd get this album. Produced by Rick Rubin, the sound quality is excellent. It doesn't hurt your ears if you listen to it for ages, and it is just the write volume. I know nothing's perfect, but this is damn close. // 10

Lyrics: Like At The Drive-In, Cedrick Bixler and Omar Rodriguez have penned some startlingly complicated lyrics. I know its a concept album, but I have yet to work out the concept. The lyrics are very clever, maybe too clever, but they never falter below 5 out of 5. They fit perfectly with the music, which is also complicated and mind boggling. Cedrick is a great singer, really ranks up there with the best. You can't really define his voice - it is unique and you really remember it. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this album is a masterpiece. The Mars Volta are obviously inspired by Tool and Pink Floyd, yet manage to create something completely original. Swirling guitar solos and latino beats and strings combine to dazzling effect. Red Hot Chili Pepper's John Frusciante and Flea even guest on the album's centre piece, Cicatriz Esp, which is a twelve minute long magnum opus. Don't expect any funk from them though, it is very dark and brooding and you'll only realise it is Flea and John when you read the booklet. I would recommend you some tracks to download, but this is the kind of album you've got to listen to from track one to track ten. It's an incredible feeling when you listen to it, and feels new everytime. If you like Tool and Pink Floyd, or are looking for something a bit different from the mainstream, you can't go wrong with the Mars Volta. But if you don't have patience, I'd avoid buying this album as most of the tracks are about eight minutes long. I love it though. // 10

De-Loused In The Comatorium Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 14, 2005

Sound: A band rooted from the respected "At The Drive-In", by listening to the album "De-Loused In The Comatorium" anyone could tell. They've presented a very similiar organized chaotic sound. Touched with less guitar and more keyboard and effect. This is a sound you don't come across very often. Most songs start with a very ear-catching opening and go into Omar Rodriquez-Lopez's unique vocals, then into a vocal-less era with guitar and what can seem to be unidentifiable effects. They're sound is raw and energetic, and will definatly take a few listens for a person to be able to grab hold on what they're actually listening to. It's just the same with many other great albums. Every time you hear the song, you find something new. // 10

Lyrics: The most common critisism I've heard on the lyrics of "De-Loused In The Comatorium" is that it's very confusing. It's the reason why some people don't like this band in fact. It is packed with SAT words the average person just doesn't understand. Yet the lyrics, aside from being college-leveled, are precise and brilliant. Telling a story of a person lost in a world of addiction and mystery. Omar Rodriquez-Lopez has a voice all his own. When he sings, whether it be songs like "Televators" or "Inertiatic ESP," its bursting with emotion and energy. The style of his voice and the rythm of the music topped with the lyrics sets this band to its own astounding heights. // 8

Overall Impression: This album has been raved about, discussed and admired. It doesn't set it's eyes to any particular group of people or any particular subject. Yet it doesn't bounce around topics meaninglessly. It flows, leaving you wanting more. The whole album is a no-skip. Rarely do you find albums where every song flows into you and grasps hold of your conciousness. The intellect of this band is impressive itself. And they're music is what I'd say, makes people fall in love. In a time when everything is starting to sound very similiar, The Mars Volta deserve to be known for they're originality. I would buy two copies of this album if it were ever stolen, so if I lose one. I still have another. // 10

De-Loused In The Comatorium Reviewed by: Zamboni, on september 25, 2005

Sound: The Mars Volta continues to be the frontrunner for experimental prog-rock. On their first major-label release, De-Loused in the Comatorium leads the listener through a maze of blistering guitar effects, amazing drum syncopation, and wild, controlled-chaos vocals. The album was inspired by the life and times of Julio Venegas, a close personal friend of the band who slipped into a drug-induced coma. During his coma, he had visions of his own suicide, and when he recovered, he ended up killing himself anyway. The Mars Volta is an innovative, progressive band, and this CD demonstrates their skills perfectly. // 9

Lyrics: The intruiguing, at times confusing lyrics of The Mars Volta only serve to give the listener a deeper insight as to what the album is all about. Even if that insight is sometimes confusion. The lyrics fit perfectly to the music, as they are both strange and haunting. The lead singer, Cedric Bixler-Zavala has an amazing voice, punctuated by screetching highs, and haunting lows, his voice works as almost an instrument by itself. // 9

Overall Impression: The Mars Volta is beyond comparison, since no band comes even close to duplicating their sound. The most impressive tracks would have to be: Inertiatic ESP, Roulette Dares (The Haunt Of), Eriatarka, Cicatriz ESP, and Take the Veil Cerpin Taxt. I hate nothing about this album, and love everything. Everything has it's place, and everything is made to work in the context in which it is portrayed. An amazing album. If lost, I would instantly go out and buy it again (then find the guy who took it and beat him). // 10

De-Loused In The Comatorium Reviewed by: UtBDan, on september 25, 2005

Sound: The Mars Volta's sound, is not for everybody. On that note, if it is for you, it is perfection. It is different than anything you've ever heard. It's like At the drive in mixed with John Frusciante on acid and steroids. Entertaining, awkward, and riveting all at the same time. There is a story attached to this album (just like with Frances the Mute), but I don't want to spoil it. It's a concept album, but the concept is not the best part: the music itself is. By far and away my favorite TMV album, and one of my favorites of any genre from any time. A well deserved 10. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrical styles are very much like At the drive in's, but overall are still more polished and mature. They tell the story about Cerpin Taxt (yes, that's a name of someone apparently) and what happens to him in multiple worlds (again, if you don't care for the story, the music is still great. ) The lyrics fit the music perfectly, and even if you do not want to get into the story they're generic enough so that they can apply to you and aren't preachy. Filled with memorable, catchy (and sometimes disturbing) lines, the album's lyrics fit the vocalist's voice perfectly. The vocalist isn't for everyone, sometimes sounding like a woman screaching painfully, but it's still a soothing voice at times with a wide array of techniques. It's a great sound, it (once again) just isn't for everyone. // 10

Overall Impression: This is probably my 4th favorite album out of anything I own; and I own everything from all the Led Zeppelin albums (including Coda) to all the Red Hot Chili Pepper albums to Incubus bootlegs to the Jimi Hendrix albums to Master of Puppets by Metallica. The Mars Volta are their own seperate entity from any other band in music to me; and I love their sound entirely. If it were lost, I'd buy it again - even though I have it ripped on my computer, I'd still buy it again. My favorite song is Rhoulette Dares (the haunt of); the chorus in it gives me chills every single time. The Mars Volta are great musicians telling a great story and combining them to make a perfect album. I tend not to be giving in my reviews (check out the others if you don't believe me), but hot damn this one deserves straight 10s. // 10

De-Loused In The Comatorium Reviewed by: Xenn99, on july 25, 2006

Sound: The sound on this album is simply amazing. It's so different than the usual stuff you hear normally. There is a story attached to Deloused. It is based off of a friend of the band's dreams while he was in a coma. The musical style of this record alone has inspired my own music in so many ways. The amount of effects used and the unique sound really adds to the strange lyrics. The random, yet very precise sound of the guitar is by far my favorite aspect of this album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are extremely cryptic. They are based around a single character, Cerpin Taxt, who, while in a coma has bizarre and confusing dreams. The story is very, very odd, yet extremely intriguing. You'll find yourself listening to songs on the album over and over and reading through the lyrics to understand the complex story behind it. The lyrics and music fit together pefectly. The eerie sounding music with the strange lyrics really compliment each other. Cedric's vocals also perfect the bands unique sound. // 9

Overall Impression: I can honestly say that I haven't heard other bands that sound like this. The Mars Volta has such a unique sound that it's hard to even compare them to other bands. I find the most impressive song is Roulette Dares. It has one of the catchiest guitar riffs I've ever heard, and is really just a great song. I love this album because it is unique. It's not just some CD from some emo band that sounds just like a million other CDs. I also love the fact that the guitar style is so different. Omar uses a unique guitar style that only a few artists have before. Lots of unresolved dissonant sounds, and hundreds of effects really add to the feeling of the album. If it were lost or stolen I'd buy it again that day. It's a great album from a great and unique band. // 9

De-Loused In The Comatorium Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 20, 2007

Sound: First off, let me say this. You will never find any other band with the same sound as the Mars Volta. I have searched and listened to literally hundereds of progressive/art rock albums and never found anything like it. Omar Rodriguez (guitarist) is like a modern day, progressive Jimi Hendrix. If you don't like it, chances are it's too complicated for you. // 10

Lyrics: Cedric Bixler (Singer/Songwriter), writes such innovative lyrics, that you have to almost decipher what they mean. Half the time it just sounds like nonsense if you don't really listen. And I mean really listen. The album is the story of Cerpin Taxt. He shoots up and almost overdoses, the ambulance takes him into the hospital, and he falls into a coma where you audibly live out his dreams via the album. In the end, he wakes up and jumps off a bridge. Cedrics singing is like another instrument, it's so beautiful. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is perfect. Not a bad moment. I could listen to it on repeat constantly, every day, and never get tired of it. All the songs are great, because they all flow so perfectly into each other. If it were stolen I would kill the person who stole it, and if it were lost I would buy it again immediatly. // 10

De-Loused In The Comatorium Reviewed by: TJM2482, on december 08, 2007

Sound: One of the words that best describes this album is frantic. Quick, catchy, tempo-changing music. The range of sounds and effects heard during the course of this album is truly innovative, very creative as well. The mix of Cedric's spacey dynamic voice, Omar's frantic guitar playing and insane effects, and the off tempo crazy drumming is one not very common in today's music. The album goes to so many places, so you'll sure to find a song you like. It's one of those albums where the "best song" can be almost any of the tracks on the album, it's that diversed. // 10

Lyrics: The singer, Cedric, is one of those high pitched chick-voiced singers. I've gotten very much used to him, so by now I really love him. You either love it, or you hate it. His voice matches the music well, and Cedric is one of the singer's where you can feel the emotion, whether it's anger or sadness, in every word he sings. A lot of the lyrics itself are strange, not exactly the most straight forward lyrics you'll find. // 10

Overall Impression: De-loused is easily their best album. It's just so polished, so solid that it really is above their past (and what became their future albums). What's impressive is how some of the songs seem similar, but are really all different. The frantic style, strange vocal ranged singer, and the wall of notes, beats, and other assorted noises all come together to make one amazing album, something every serious music fan needs to heard through at least once. // 10

De-Loused In The Comatorium Reviewed by: PoP N FresH, on november 18, 2008

Sound: This album is the jewel in the Volta's crown in terms of the sound they have been able to produce. The opener, son et lumiere, is a swirling, ethereal lead in to the albums real first track, Intertiatic ESP that sets the standard for the album, with it's roots clearly embedded in the groups former incarnation, At The Drive In, utilizing post-punk attitude but bloending it with the sound the defines the album, which can be described as experimental progressive rock. while these first two tracks get the blood flowing, it's the next few that hit the jugular, with roulette dares hypnotic grinding guitar and drums blasting off only to descend back into a soothing melancholy with cedric's vocals hovering over the top, and simultaneously cutting through the guitars. this trend conitnues on the other tracks, particluarly Eria Tarka and Cicatriz ESP whose experimantal sounds and soft-loud-soft structure keep the longer songs exciting. More somber tracks like televetors help to allow the listener to really sink into the experience of this record, and it is one whose sonic landscape is a continuous entity, which is fully appreciated with a full listen through, althought the appeal of tracks like Roulette Dares as fan favourite singles is noticble. all in all, individual, approcachable yet experimental and worthy of appreciation from muscician and enthusiasts alike, but certainly not for everyone. // 10

Lyrics: A note: Cedric is an amazing vocalist, and his voice does indeed give sucha great dimension to the sound of volta he is comparable with Omar in an insturmental sense at times; the man just takes off. however, it's also the lyrical content of this album that has made it special. the lyrics follow a conceptual theme being the human condition, and it seems that in the haze of prog melodies, the dark often ambiguos lyrics are a great match. the lyrics on the album make the listener feel like they're are descending into the dark, cold, musty room that is created by the atmosphere of the record, and you really get a sense of the inevitability of death juxtaposed with the soaring progressive aesthetic. pretty much every song has some allusion to themes of rotting, dying, being trapped, lost, afraid and helpless... and for the sake of intrigue I'll let others look up the lyrics for fear of misquotation or misinterpretation. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is really something individual and special, and one of my favourite personal albums, however it will alienate some people with it's exerimental nature, however it will also draw in the unlikeliest of fans at times. the prgressive shifting sonic landscape and the dark, oprressive yet uplifting lyrical content match perfectly, and the band just seems to be on the same wavelength on what can be described as a very very organised jam session which blends chaos with intensity, intent and purpose. this is a great album that's worth your time, especially for fans of progressive rock or metal, or a fan of something just a little bit different to the mainstream... think muse in latin america on steroids in full jam ahead mode. // 10

More The Mars Volta reviews rating latest review