The Fabled City Review

the nightwatchman: The Fabled City
Released: Sep 30, 2008
Genre: Folk Rock, Alternative Rock, Acoustic Rock
Label: Epic
The Fabled City is the 2nd studio album by The Nightwatchman, the alter ego of Tom Morello.
 9.5
review (1) 4 comments vote for this album:
The Fabled City Reviewed by: hazzmatazz, on november 28, 2008

Sound: The Fabled City is the second album by The Nightwatchman, the alter ego of Tom Morello (however this album was released as Tom Morello: The Nightwatchman). This album is still following a folk sound however what seperates this from 'One Man Revolution' is the use of a wider range of instruments, giving this album a certain level of depth that I felt was lacking in 'One Man Revolution.' This is clear in tracks such as 'Lazarus On Down' and 'Night Falls.' // 9

Lyrics: Although Tom is still sticking with his politically charged lyrics I feel that he has definately improved poetically and in using his lyrics effectively in conjunction with the music. Tom's deep, earthy voice is certainly something that makes the album what it is. His vocals with the guest musicians (Serj Tankian and Shooter Jennings) sounds excellent. His singing Tom has slightly improved, and this is most evident in the song 'Whatever It Takes.' // 8

Overall Impression: If you are a fan of 'One Man Revolution' then you will not be disapointed with this. It is certainly a slight evolution in sound but still relying on the same princibles as his previous album. In my opinion some of most impressive songs on the album are: 'The Fabled City, ' 'Whatever It Takes, ' 'Night Falls, ' 'Gone Like Rain, ' and 'Facing Mount Kenya' (however this is a bonus track only available on the iTunes version of the album). What I love is how the wider range of instruments provide some texture and depth into this album. If it were stolen/lost I would probably replace it, although I do have it on my computer, but it is a great album. // 10

More The Nightwatchman reviews rating latest review