The Gas And The Clutch Review

artist: The Perpetrators date: 04/09/2007 category: compact discs
The Perpetrators: The Gas And The Clutch
Release Date: 2005
Genres: Indie Rock, Blues
The Gas And The Clutch is the second album from Canadian Blues-Rock group The Perpetrators. The album won the Outstanding Blues Album at the 2005 Western Canadian Music Awards.
 4.5
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
The Gas And The Clutch Reviewed by: guitarwhiz234, on april 09, 2007

Sound: Anybody who lives in Winnipeg will know who they are, they are huge here in most of western Canada. I'd discribe this CD as "blues for people who hate the blues" this album is amazing for people who like the Blues. They have a very tight band, these guys have been around the blues scene for a while, Jay Nowicki (singer guitarist) backed up blues legend hubert sumlin who was howlin' wolfs guitarist for most of his career. the sound is very fresh and well produced, it is very raw sounding which is what the blues are all about. This CD is a must for people who livein Winnipeg. My favorite songs are "The Women I Love" and "Roller Coaster Love" and "She Lets Me Know," but all the songs have there own little charm. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty average blues, but Jays vocals are really smooth very soulful like he's not bullshiting he has lived these experiences. The lyrics can be very humorous like in the song "55th Street Boogie" the line "Sitting here with the witch, he's such a bitch," he was actually singing about the studio enginner who was with them that night. There are some serious lyrics like in the "The Women I Love" which is a wonderful 12 bar blues with some great leads on it. The lyrics aren't poetry, again this is the blues keep in mind, but still make a nice impression on the record. // 8

Overall Impression: Well I am from Winnipeg and I have seen these guys play numerous times, but they are very good and cool guys to hang out with. I would recommened picking up this album, you can here the chicago blues of the '50s come back top life threw these guys and they pull it off quite nicely. If it were stolen I would definetly buy it again with out a doubt. In my opinion the best songs are "She Lets Me Know" which was the single "Roller Coaster Love", "The Women I Love" and "Are You Ready For The Country" which is a neil young cover, but you can't live in winnipeg and not like Neil Young. // 10

Comments